IGNORED

Rarity Guide Update Questions

voiddweller

The changes are sporadic. Usually they are driven by discussions on AtariAge, and we usually solicit opinions for some time before making a change. For example, we just changed Quadrun and we have a few others in mind that we may change. You will see it updated throughout the year.

Also, we frequently update the database with new games as they are released (such as homebrew games), or in the case of prototypes, discovered. It's always a "work in progress", and there are many other items that change, such as adding new cart, box or manual scans, additional staff information, perhaps fix a model number for a game, new external links for a game, and so forth.

..Al

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still very new to this scene, so please bear with me for a few moments :)

I have been watching auctions on EBay and Yahoo!, while looking at the Rarity Guide. I was hoping to make associations between price and availability to help with buying, selling, and trading transactions.

In some cases there is a direct correlation, in others, there is not. I knew this from the beginning, as most auctions and trades are dictated by the wants and desires of the people bidding/trading (infinite variables), but I've noticed a disparity in the guide.

This is only a recent observation, but there appears to be a resurgence of interest in the 7800 ProSystem and games. Based on some Ebay samples, the console and standard versions of the NIB games: Rampage, Commando, and Tank Command are fetching prices that seem higher than the Rarity Rating may suggest. This made me think that I may be interpreting the Guide differently than it was intended or it may be out of date.

This led to a few questions:

1. If something appears more rare to me and (may or may not) appear rare to other collectors and enthusiasts, what is the proper forum to discuss observations and see if a change in Rarity is warranted?

2. What specific critera is used to make adjustments? Observations in discussion threads, etc...?

3. In what way should the ratings be viewed by collectors and enthusiasts when looking to buy, sell, or trade items?

Thanks,

- VD

Unofficially:

1. You can discuss Rarity issues in this very forum, although it often happens in the 2600 Forum as well.

2. Generally, the things that get a cart rarity reviewed are things like a sudden overpopulation of a game, or perhaps the opposite. Sometimes the rarity posted for a game was just a "best guess" by the Al's due to insufficient information, and if people chime in and say "Hey, there is NO way that game is that common" then the Al's will start poking around asking people if they agree (this was the case with the "Raiders Lost Ark" variation last spring). Basically if you disagree with a rarity, you can either PM an Al, or you can post a thread for discussion. This will get the ball rolling, just be sure you have reasons why you think its rarity should change (ie, I've seen a HUNDRED of these things on ebay in the past month, there is no way its a rarity 10).

3. I would use the rarity guide as a "guide" and nothing more. Its not set in stone, nor is it a guarantee that ultra rare games will fetch ultra high prices. Its just a general idea of how tough it may be to find a certain game, and therefore what price range you might expect to find a certain game in. Like anything, there are exceptions to the rule.

Hope that helps, and if I've said anything wrong, I hope the Al's will hop in and correct me. :)

Price and Rarity do not always correlate. A cart like Quadrun is simply more desirable than some titles with much lower production runs. Another big factor is condition and scarcity of the box. For whatever reason. some boxes are far rarer than the cart itself. Finally there is the variability of the auction process. For a lot of reasons, some auctions don't get noticed and you can get a bargain. Conversely, you may stumble across two guys in a bidding war and the cart will go way over value. The rarity guide is a good starting point, however.

smile_walle wrote:

Alright......let me explain about Sliver Space Invaders.  

What I can remembered when I was little kid that my dad did gave to me the sliver Space Ivanders in long time ago in early 80's. Somehow my sliver box Space Ivanders has lost somewhere, I believed that my mom did throw away, while I still have loose sliver label Space Invaders right now.  

That why I wanted to get Sliver Box Space Ivaders back and put in my libary, that why.....in my understanding that Sliver Box Space Invaders has been printed in 1982 by Atari INC, NOT by Corp. What I think the rarity guide 2 out of 10 might be in error, what I believed should be 4 out of 10, beacuse very hard to find Sliver Space Inavder has been printed in 1982, not too often seen at ebay.  

Hehehe..I did checked at the atariage and noticed space invaders' label showed grey label and printed in 1988 in Hong Kong??? Why say sliver?? it must be error!! I hope that Albert need to fix it!!  

Have look....  

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=461

You noticed what Im talking about Space Invader with Sliver box? Beacuse rarity guide might be bit of error 2 out of 10? It could be 4 to 5 out of 10, why? beacuse very hard to find sliver box with Space Invaders, not very often seen at ebay.

Jason

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  

I'm still very new to this scene, so please bear with me for a few moments :)

I have been watching auctions on EBay and Yahoo!, while looking at the Rarity Guide.  I was hoping to make associations between price and availability to help with buying, selling, and trading transactions.

In some cases there is a direct correlation, in others, there is not.  I knew this from the beginning, as most auctions and trades are dictated by the wants and desires of the people bidding/trading (infinite variables), but I've noticed a disparity in the guide.  

This is only a recent observation, but there appears to be a resurgence of interest in the 7800 ProSystem and games.  Based on some Ebay samples, the console and standard versions of the NIB games: Rampage, Commando, and Tank Command are fetching prices that seem higher than the Rarity Rating may suggest.  This made me think that I may be interpreting the Guide differently than it was intended or it may be out of date.  

This led to a few questions:  

1. If something appears more rare to me and (may or may not) appear rare to other collectors and enthusiasts, what is the proper forum to discuss observations and see if a change in Rarity is warranted?

2. What specific critera is used to make adjustments?  Observations in discussion threads, etc...?  

3. In what way should the ratings be viewed by collectors and enthusiasts when looking to buy, sell, or trade items?

Thanks,  

- VD

1. The best place to discuss it is in the Rarity Guide forum. It's much easier for us to track it here.

2. New facts (such as warehouse discoveries), eBay frequency, polls of ownership, and observations made in threads on this board. There are many experts here and the more that offer observations, the better.

3. We would hope that people take the ratings as a guide. Hardcore collectors often develop their own feeling of rarity, but the guide can server newcomers and casual collectors well, we hope.

We are always looking to make the guide as accurate as possible. However, we will rarely change something at the request of a single person. The more people that feel something should be changed, the more we will consider it. So, if you feel something is wrong, state what it is and why you think so, and hopefully we'll see if others feel the same way.