IGNORED

Atari controller compatible with computer monitor cord from mods?

Nesbroslash

After examining the side of my mom's laptop,I thought to myself, "Hey, this looks strikingly similar to an Atari controller plug!" so, would you be able to mod (heavily if necessary) a controller to fit there, and what would happen? :?

A VGA port is a DE-15 female connector. I'd like to see you plug a standard VCS-compatible joystick into that. A more common use of the DE-9 male connector (which is what a VCS-compatible joystick normally plugs into) on PCs is the RS-232 serial port. I dunno how many laptops have those anymore, so maybe Nesbroslash is looking at a VGA port. Either way, modifying the controller or the port to get a joystick to fit it and be readable by the computer would be a complete waste of time, since there now exist both the Stelladapter, as well as USB-plug equipped VCS-style joysticks. There are probably other adapter-type solutions possible too.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Make sure you test the port with your tongue while the computer is running, as well, to ensure it's getting proper voltage.

Oh wow, really mature! :ponder: C'mon,it may have been a stupid thought, but I just thought it sounded cool. :(

It may be the same size and shape as a DB9 but it's a compact DB15, and no you can't plug a joystick into it. Well...you could, it just wouldn't do any good, as the computer just outputs video through that port, on laptops, it's unlikely it's getting any signal from the port.

You could probably take that out, put in a true DB9 and wire it up so the computer can read it, but you'd loose the video port, and as notebooks are notorious bastards to work on, you'd probably kill the computer in the process.

Anyhow,l there are other options, to either plug in real controllers or USB versions of controllers.