IGNORED

Possible Fried 5200

Galvatron

I just bought a 5200 on ebay with ten games. It's the four port model. When I hooked it up it would not power on. After some looking at part numbers and voltages I discovered that they gave me an ac adapter from an atari 400/800 computer which outputs AC instead of DC which is what it is supposed to take. Tested the ac adapter anyway and it doesn't even reach 9 volts ac but only 1 volt. Is there any alternate power supply I can use to test the system to make sure it works?

Normally that power supply would have fried the 5200 but if it's already dead then your 5200 is likely still fine. You will just need to find the proper power supply.

Mitch

i'm thinking maybe the system is fine and the power supply is just bad

i think the switchbox wants 9-11 dc volts at 1500mA a 4 port 5200 is a powerhog

the system has good voltage regulators so its very forgiving with 9vac voltage going to the regulator it wouldn't have had enough voltage i think its diodes would only see half

the switchbox may be jammed as well are you getting the light on "power on"

*IF* the system is in fact fried, it is repairable if you're interested in putting in time, effort, and a little bit of money.

A few years ago I received a 5200 that had undergone a similar experience - it was powered up from an Atari 400/800 AC Adapter, and several components on the motherboard were destroyed.

I managed to repair the system with a lot of help from folks on the internet, and I can probably find the discussion and photos that helped me get everything back together again if you want them. Just let me know.

How many amps does the 5200 take?

You don't have to have exact amperage as long as the minimum is met like 2Amps. There was another thread recently about using IBM Thinkpad power supply of 4.5Amps and 16V with the A5200. That worked fine for me although it's more than A5200 needs.

Thanks for the help guys. No power light ever came on, I informed the guy on ebay I got it from waht the part number for the ac adapter was. He'll hopefully send it soon. I just want to play Pacman. ooh ADD.

Just cross my fingers and hope the proper ac adapter allows it to work! I got some good games I want to play.

I got the power supply yesterday and the system worked for a few seconds and then the switchbox clicked and there was no video. The system was still on though. I think the ac damaged the switchbox but not the system.

What's the adapter spec that you used? When it turned on, it showed working audio/video?

It puts off around 14 volts which should be regulating properly. It is part number c018187 as listed in the FAQ.

Audio and video did work fine for a few seconds until the switchbox clicked.

I noticed on the board that there is a RCA jack internally. Does it also output rf?

The 5200 auto-switchbox is known to fail like that. It's probably fixable if you're decent at soldering.

I don't think you want to use the RF connector that's inside the system, it's still got the power voltage going through it.

I just bought a 5200 on ebay with ten games. It's the four port model. When I hooked it up it would not power on. After some looking at part numbers and voltages I discovered that they gave me an ac adapter from an atari 400/800 computer which outputs AC instead of DC which is what it is supposed to take. Tested the ac adapter anyway and it doesn't even reach 9 volts ac but only 1 volt. Is there any alternate power supply I can use to test the system to make sure it works?

Heres a post I recently made. Hope it helps

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/164217-field-service-manuals/