IGNORED

Beat'em ups on the 7800

7800Lover

I own the Activision port of Double Dragon for the 7800 and it's a solid effort. Sure, the graphics and sound are inferior to the NES port, but it plays more like the arcade game than the NES title does. It's good for a system meant to play simple arcade ports like Donkey Kong and Pacman.

The boxing, wrestling, and two martial arts titles (Karateka and Kung Fu Master) notwithstanding, could a Double Dragon style beat'em up game be executed on the Atari 7800? Like Renegade or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

Mat Mania Challenge is a joke and a terrible effort on the 7800. Very dissappointing, as there is no goal, u can't really hurt the other wrestler (who looks identical to you), you can't ever execute a pile driver to the CPU player, etc. I wish there was a good version of this game for the 7800. Title Match is awful too, so is Fight Night. Did anyone test these games before they were released? They are all virtually unplayable. The system needs a good wrestling or boxing game.

Mat Mania Challenge is a joke and a terrible effort on the 7800. Very dissappointing, as there is no goal, u can't really hurt the other wrestler (who looks identical to you), you can't ever execute a pile driver to the CPU player, etc. I wish there was a good version of this game for the 7800. Title Match is awful too, so is Fight Night. Did anyone test these games before they were released? They are all virtually unplayable. The system needs a good wrestling or boxing game.

All the more reason why a good beat'em up in addition to Double Dragon is needed.

I It's good for a system meant to play simple arcade ports like Donkey Kong and Pacman.

I find it playable and fun, but "good" is pushing it for me. It smacks of "lets get this done fast and cheap", right down to the Abobos that walked out of Title Match Pro Wrestling.

I It's good for a system meant to play simple arcade ports like Donkey Kong and Pacman.

I find it playable and fun, but "good" is pushing it for me. It smacks of "lets get this done fast and cheap", right down to the Abobos that walked out of Title Match Pro Wrestling.

I couldnt agree more. The 7800 is my favorite system. I think of it as a SUPER 2600! But it never got a lot of respect partially because it was perceived as being substantially inferior to the NES. While that wasn't necessarily the case (both systems had strong & weak points) it was games like DOUBLE DRAGON that pushed that perception. Kids everywhere could play and compare DOUBLE DRAGON first on the NES and then on the 7800 and think "why the would I ever want this crap?"

"Lets get this done fast and cheap" with games like DOUBLE DRAGON created the perception that the 7800 was far less capable than what it was. YUCK-A-DUCK!!

I guess my perception is a little different when it comes to Double Dragon. I thought it was a pretty good conversion for the 7800. Compared to everything else out there? Could have totally used a pokey like every other game... but I don't think it's all THAT bad...

I don't think it's bad in that it is playable, IMO. I find it fun. I like that it's two players and I like that it follows the arcade.

But even then, I felt it was sloppy on the 7800, that the graphics could have been better, that the AI was sloppy and that elements of play were outright missing. When Activision put out their ad for it saying "the best ever graphics on 'the Atari'", I thought, "you aren't doing the 7800 a service by saying that!" And I knew already there were games with better graphics out or coming (example: ALIEN BRIGADE).

I guess my perception is a little different when it comes to Double Dragon. I thought it was a pretty good conversion for the 7800. Compared to everything else out there? Could have totally used a pokey like every other game... but I don't think it's all THAT bad...

I don't think it's bad in that it is playable, IMO. I find it fun. I like that it's two players and I like that it follows the arcade.

But even then, I felt it was sloppy on the 7800, that the graphics could have been better, that the AI was sloppy and that elements of play were outright missing. When Activision put out their ad for it saying "the best ever graphics on 'the Atari'", I thought, "you aren't doing the 7800 a service by saying that!" And I knew already there were games with better graphics out or coming (example: ALIEN BRIGADE).

Yeah... sloppy in the way they reused characters from Title Match and pretty much copied characters over from one another except different colors like you had mentioned. That was also Atari's cheapness. If they doubled the memory on the carts instead of sticking to the 128k limit on all of their bigger ones it could have been a different story.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I'd like to see a few more beat'em ups on the 7800.

I'd like a million dollars!

What else might be possible on the 7800?

It could have done just about anything that was hot around that time in one fashion or the other. Just the efforts put into these games were marred by Atari with budget and memory limitations. The attempt at Pit Fighter was just garbage. The finished product probably would have just looked a little bit better than the prototype that surfaced... Mat Mania compared to the arcade is a flippin joke. The difference between Kung Fu Master on 2600 and 7800 is only slightly improved graphics... still can't jump kick.. wtf?

Games like Double Dragon 2, POW, Renegade all could have been done on the 7800...

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt the system could have done a good beat 'em up if someone had actually sunk the funds and effort into it.

Someone with the know how should do a brawler with a weird Atari theme that has ninjas and evil optometrists.

You could even have whistle power ups, eh Joe? :D