IGNORED

XE/XL RGB ?

Thelen

I have a 21 inch monitor, with RGB in only (and vsync and hsync). Right now i have connected it with my pc, and it works good. Now i was thinking can i connect it to a XE/XL ? can i get rgb out of it, do i need vsync/hsync signals ? The monitor belonged to a apple macintosh, which only had RGB connected with it.

Thelen

I've tried several ways of doing this and there are a few composite to RGB converter chips to use.... I recall a few years back tinkering with a TMS4440 (I think).... the only problem you run into is that you end up loosing 8 lumes on the conversion and you don't get the full 256 color pallete, but it can be done....

Better solution, spend $59 and buy a Jam! or other Composite to VGA converter and get a set of speakers with a converter and Y adapter and plug your audio into them and you can use a VGA monitor with your 8bit Atari....

If you're willing to spend a few bucks ($499) this is well worth it, the new Samsung 15" LCD display, it has VGA, TV Tuner, Composite and Svideo inputs on it.... I have my PC, Sat TV, Laserdisc player/VCR and my Atari VCS hooked to it and its great to just switch back and forth... it even has a remote control....

Now, just cause you use a VGA monitor, don't be fooled into thinking your Atari screen will be super crisp and sharp like SVGA... the TV/Composite/and SVIDEO signals still have a washed out look on a VGA monitor just like a Composite. Its not the monitors fault, the Composite signal just has lowsy bandwidth and you're not going to get the same clarity as a pure VGA signal, its only a conversion.

Curt