IGNORED

The 5100, any reason why atari didn't release it

carmel_andrews

After all, atari had a smaller 2600 in the wings ('Val' aka cx 2000) and ofcourse the 2600 jr, so a smaller version 5200 would have been a nice addition, what would have been nicer is atari use 2600 j/s connectors instead of the 5200 one's

Also it would have meant a cheaper 5200, which would have equalled more sales (hopefully) and a cheaper 5100 would have competed better (pricewise) with the likes of inty and the cv

Edited by carmel_andrews

I'd imagine it was game crash and too much Atari. At one time you had the 8-bit computers, 2600, 7800, ST line, and the dead 5200. Just spread way too thin. I remember when the 2600jr came out. what was that like 87 or 88 I mean really. 2600 against the NES or Master System?

I'd imagine it was game crash and too much Atari. At one time you had the 8-bit computers, 2600, 7800, ST line, and the dead 5200. Just spread way too thin. I remember when the 2600jr came out. what was that like 87 or 88 I mean really. 2600 against the NES or Master System?

Nothing wrong with releasing systems that are backward compatible like 2600jr/7800 after 2600 or 800XL after 400/800 and also the consoles had their own market from computers which were generally more expensive especially with peripherals. Atari 5200 (and compatibles) could have been a upgradable 8-bit computer. ST definitely was incompatible though and caused a split of Atari computer users.

There was back then and is now, a market for budget systems bought by people who figure they'll save money by either buying used games or getting them on clearance. Maybe there was just to little interest in the 5200 to try a junior model. Sega tried it twice. The Genesis 3 and with the SMS 2. We bought a 2600 Jr when they were "still under 50 bucks, but wait, there's more..."

There was back then and is now, a market for budget systems bought by people who figure they'll save money by either buying used games or getting them on clearance. Maybe there was just to little interest in the 5200 to try a junior model. Sega tried it twice. The Genesis 3 and with the SMS 2. We bought a 2600 Jr when they were "still under 50 bucks, but wait, there's more..."

Now the strategy seems to be sell console cheap and sell games for high price. Because once someone has the system, however bad it may be, they'll eventually buy games for it (especially new releases).

Crash largely prevented the release of 5200 self-centering joysticks, digital joysticks, arcade controllers, paddle controllers, and the 5200 Jr. By the time the 5200 was canceled in 1984, Atari decided to go with the cheaper 7800, which was shortly put off by Tramiel. The 5200 Jr. was still very big, but I really would have liked to have had a production run of the self-centering sticks.

Crash largely prevented the release of 5200 self-centering joysticks, digital joysticks, arcade controllers, paddle controllers, and the 5200 Jr. By the time the 5200 was canceled in 1984, Atari decided to go with the cheaper 7800, which was shortly put off by Tramiel. The 5200 Jr. was still very big, but I really would have liked to have had a production run of the self-centering sticks.

What's the link to that self-centering stick for 5200 Jr.?

I think that Atari had realized the 5200's flaws and began working on the 7800 instead, which was ready for release just 2 years after the 5200.

Also, I want to talk about the name. Doesn't 5100 sound like a downgrade from the 5200? That would be like if Microsoft named the new Xbox 360 the Xbox 350, which makes it sound underpowered and cheap.

I think that Atari had realized the 5200's flaws and began working on the 7800 instead, which was ready for release just 2 years after the 5200.

Also, I want to talk about the name. Doesn't 5100 sound like a downgrade from the 5200? That would be like if Microsoft named the new Xbox 360 the Xbox 350, which makes it sound underpowered and cheap.

I think the 5100 name was a working title; if you look at pics of the 5100, you'll notice that it's still marked as an Atari 5200.

Does "XBOX Live" makes the previous XBOX games seem like they are pre-recorded? If not, then "Atari 5200 Live" may be a good title.

What's the link to that self-centering stick for 5200 Jr.?

All the 5200 development stuff is on atarimuseum.com, but there's no guarantee when it or that other stuff would have come out. Only that they were fully developed.

Edited by Greg2600