IGNORED

There's no way a 7800 will play 5200 games, right?

Dittohead Servbot #24

Now, as all of you know, I'm thinking about jumping into the 2600 pool. That being said, I know that with the first model Atari 7800, it works with almost all 2600 games, so all that's left is the 5200. My question is this: did they make a device that plays 5200 games on the 7800 and thus making it possible to play all three Atari platforms on one console? Now if that's true, I would seriously consider getting a 7800 with the 5200 convertor (if such a thing exists); otherwise I should probably just stick with 2600 only.

Also, you may enjoy this link. This is the closest ive seen in pictures to what you are talking about. This is a working wirewrapped prototype for the 5200's 7800 ProSystem Adapter. It allowed 5200 users to plug in this convertor into the cartridge bay and then play 7800 games on the 5200. There was supposed to be an adapter for the 7800 too but obviously it never came out everyone knows that right. But I've never seen a picture of it, just this one.

7800-CES_DEMO-adapter.jpg

Now, as all of you know, I'm thinking about jumping into the 2600 pool. That being said, I know that with the first model Atari 7800, it works with almost all 2600 games, so all that's left is the 5200. My question is this: did they make a device that plays 5200 games on the 7800 and thus making it possible to play all three Atari platforms on one console? Now if that's true, I would seriously consider getting a 7800 with the 5200 convertor (if such a thing exists); otherwise I should probably just stick with 2600 only.

I'm afraid such a beast doesn't exist. The 7800 and the 5200 have totally different graphics architectures and controllers, so an adapter would essentially be a 5200 that happens to plug into the 7800. Atari did originally intend for a 7800 adapter for the 5200 in order to appease angry 5200 owners, but never released it.

You can play 2600 games on a 7800 out of the box, you can play 2600 games on a 5200 with an adapter but that's about it as far as commercial releases go.

Hi Guys

But,there is a 7800 adapter for the 5200 available.....

greetings walter

Not since 8bitdomain went away.

No kidding, they took my money and never sent the adapter. :x

Mitch

that is just plain lousy. Sorry to hear that man. I hope the expansion module for the 7800

more than makes up for it. I think you will(and the rest of the fans who get one) will be

quiet satisfied. I will be giving Curt an app to show off on it when he demos it.

• Like 1

Ditto head.....get a 7800 anyway. Its a killer machine and worth the investment. If I ever have my way,

you will someday play all atari console games on a single console. That is games from the 2600 all the

way up to the Jaguar (possibly ST and A8 games as well.)

• Like 1

Age doesn't matter when it's about the love of the games. :D It's always great when younger members join or people remember and go back to their fav classics.

7800 is my fav not only because it also plays 2600 games, there are quite a few amazing homebrews for it, and you can get a CC2 and load up everything. Plus you can even use a gun with it which are so much fun and you can use joypads as well. CC2's are expensive bout fro the 300$ or so there is no way you can buy every game available for both systems.

It's/the 7800 very much worth getting and I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 3

I wasnt asking his age because of the kind of games he might like I was asking because of his post.

The 7800 is hands down beyond a doubt the greatest video game system ever created by man kind.

If Nolan and Gene Landrum and Joe Keenan and Al Alcorn all sat down to develop a new game system they'd never be able to top it.

Put that in your adapter.

My suggestion: Save up and wisely purchase a very nice and reliable Atari 7800 and all of its greatest games that you think you might enjoy.

Then load up on the classic 2600 games like Asteroids etc. all the must haves.

Then as youre enjoying your wonderful purchase save up some more money and buy a nice Atari 5200 with WORKING CONTROLLERS.

And then you'll be all set.

I will be giving Curt an app to show off on it when he demos it.

Sorry hear that you got ripped off, Mitch ... that sucks.

Looking forward to seeing your App, Gorf.

I was increasingly skeptical about the Expansion Cart, but with a number of games in the works, I'm leaning more towards it.

Go ahead and get a 7800 if you can get one at a good price. CB is right... good homebrew scene going from what I can tell. Had I not missed the boat on the CC2, I probably would have kept my 7800. I might get one again with for the homebrews, but there are a few bills that need to be paid first.

However, be patient and wait for a good deal. For every a$$%ole that wants to rook you and sell one for $60 with no games, there is a deal around the corner for half that with a bunch of games. Same goes for the 5200. I got mine for around $25 with a working controller and about 8-9 common games, so don't fall for swindlers on ebay.

Hi Guys

greetings walter

Mitch

A LOT of people got ripped off by 8bitdomain. I feel for ya, I only got ripped off to the tune of $50 bucks. I can only imagine how much he pocketed from that adapter scam.

Hi Guys

greetings walter

Mitch

A LOT of people got ripped off by 8bitdomain. I feel for ya, I only got ripped off to the tune of $50 bucks. I can only imagine how much he pocketed from that adapter scam.

Hi Mitch

This is really bad,but i know,that Mike Mallory sold some adapters at EBAY.....So,i thought,there were not enough customers,so he sells at EBAY :?

I never had any problems with him.When i ordered,he was always correct.

greetings Walter

The issue with forgoing a 2600 completely.. Don't you lose the use of some 2600 games? Because of this I feel I need to have ALL THREE setup.

No. there are a limited number of 7800 consoles that might have compatibility problems with 2 or 3 2600 Activision games, and fixing that problem is a matter of cutting one trace on the motherboard.

The issue with forgoing a 2600 completely.. Don't you lose the use of some 2600 games? Because of this I feel I need to have ALL THREE setup.

No. there are a limited number of 7800 consoles that might have compatibility problems with 2 or 3 2600 Activision games, and fixing that problem is a matter of cutting one trace on the motherboard.

Exactly. A couple (of hundreds) of titles MIGHT have problems running on some (not all) 7800s. But probably 99% of 2600 games play fine without a problem.

• 3 years later...

So, no such thing CAN exist? I am really wanting to play my 5200 games again. I always thought there could be an adapter, but the demand wasn't high enough to produce them for retail. I base this on the 7800 was the 2600+5200, according to their sales pitch, but you are telling me that the source code architecture is NOTHING at all the same...sigh.

Also, you may enjoy this link. This is the closest ive seen in pictures to what you are talking about. This is a working wirewrapped prototype for the 5200's 7800 ProSystem Adapter. It allowed 5200 users to plug in this convertor into the cartridge bay and then play 7800 games on the 5200. There was supposed to be an adapter for the 7800 too but obviously it never came out everyone knows that right. But I've never seen a picture of it, just this one.

7800-CES_DEMO-adapter.jpg

Lol - that looks like a TG16 without the back cover (a common sight for used TG16's).

Edited by malducci