IGNORED

Was this a dimwit buyer?

toymailman

I would say call Ebay. And talk to someone in charge. I had someone put in a claim against me and within no time ebay refunded their money and never made them send the Atari back? I did the whole email B.S. thing but you just deal with people who drag you around. When I called they got their shit together quickly and put claim in my favor and refunded my money next day. Trust me you have great feedback as well they will kiss your ass ;)

the best of luck

I would say call Ebay. And talk to someone in charge. I had someone put in a claim against me and within no time ebay refunded their money and never made them send the Atari back? I did the whole email B.S. thing but you just deal with people who drag you around. When I called they got their shit together quickly and put claim in my favor and refunded my money next day. Trust me you have great feedback as well they will kiss your ass ;)

the best of luck

Agreed; I have found that if you talk to someone in person at Ebay you get a different result. Your feedback speaks for itself. Good Luck!

the best of luck

Agreed; I have found that if you talk to someone in person at Ebay you get a different result. Your feedback speaks for itself. Good Luck!

I concur, it won't hurt to talk to eBay. The worst they can say is "tough luck", but you might get someone who will take a look at the auction and come to the conclusion that the buyer is a dolt. It's easier to explain on the phone to someone what's going on than hope that someone will even read and understand what you're trying to say in a dispute.

..Al

Ebay is incredibly unfair and I'm also on the verge of abandoning it. I never told this story here, but I once sold a practically mint 7800 w/40+ games to a buyer who used Buy It Now - $199.00. The very next morning, while on my way to the UPS store 8:00am, I get an email from him "I'm expecting you to send the Atari today, as it's for my girlfriend's b-day" 'Red Flag'. I assured him that it would be shipped that day and I even included a birthday card in the box. Writes to me a few days later, said the item is all bashed up and he wants $100 off. I had a very bad feeling so I told him to send it back to me immediately for a full refund. He says stuff like "Come on, you know it's not really worth the $199 anyway, just give me $100 off." Short Story: I ask him to start a claim w/Paypal and we'll let them decide. In the mean time, he goes and wins 4 other 7800 auctions. Paypal sides with him. He sends me back some 7800, not mine, that looked like he'd taken a hammer to it. I video taped opening up the box because I had a bad feeling and sure enough the thing was dented, smashed, and non-working. Paypal and ebay did absolutely nothing when I reported it. It was about as made as I've ever been. Sellers have almost no protection at all.

Wow.  eBay needs to recognize that their profit margin is affected by both the buyer and seller.  Screw sellers, and they won't sell.  It's tough to find that happy median.  Did you try and send eBay/PayPal before and after pics?  Like, pictures of the items you sold him versus the ones you got returned?  If they were damaged during shipping to him, UPS would've (1) recorded said damage and (2) ponied up costs because I think all items are insured when shipped, correct?  Anyways, that is a plain tragedy.

I had one seller basically flat out lie about the condition he sent two different monitors to me, he used USPS Media Mail to ship them out (!!) and refused to refund my money without my sending them back.

Pirated DVDs are a big issue.  That's why I like using trading services like Goozex.  If someone sends a pirate to you, give them a negative feedback and ship the item to Goozex.  You get all your "points" (money) back and that user is significantly impacted, if not banned.

You can always notify the FBI as well.  I've done that twice now, and it makes for some great lulz when you see the seller disappear from eBay and a letter following up on your charges.

However, what is to stop them from sending me an empty box and claim the item was indeed shipped back?

I have several types of mailing scales (one 0.01lbs to 3lbs, one 0lbs to 10lbs, one 0lbs to 30lbs, and one 0lbs to 300lbs), so if I ever get a returned item, before opening the box I would weigh it.  Empty boxes are very very light.  If what I'm expecting weighs a solid 20 lbs and it doesn't even budge my 0-300 scale, then I'm grabbing a video camera while I open the box.

It's a bit paranoia, but I also video tape myself packing the items.  Clips get deleted as the positive feedback comes in.  To date I haven't needed to use them since most of my winners probably come from the boards I advertise on (and are therefore collectors who understand how to do good business), but they're there just in case. 

If what I'm expecting weighs a solid 20 lbs and it doesn't even budge my 0-300 scale, then I'm grabbing a video camera while I open the box.

It's incredible that folks have to go to such lengths, but I think for a big ticket item (>$50 or so) that's actually a good idea. :|

Wow! I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably done about 600 transactions on eBay (50/50 seller - buyer) and have had maybe three or four bad transactions from each end. I have gotten two unwarranted negatives, but I try to look at the big picture and not dwell on it too much. Keep doing the right thing and your feedback will go up. The feedback percentage is just the last 12 months now, right? I did learn early on that I would not sell any computer parts. back in the late 90's it seemed everyone selling computer stuff had bad feedback. When you read what it was about, you could tell the buyers just did not know what they were buying, how to install drivers, etc. and assumed they were getting bad items. Maybe this phenomenon transfers over to video games somewhat.

Anyways, my condolences on the bad deal. I know how much those things stress me out. Try to relax...oooooozzfrabba! Morgan

Wow! I guess I have just been lucky. I have probably done about 600 transactions on eBay (50/50 seller - buyer) and have had maybe three or four bad transactions from each end. I have gotten two unwarranted negatives, but I try to look at the big picture and not dwell on it too much. Keep doing the right thing and your feedback will go up. The feedback percentage is just the last 12 months now, right? I did learn early on that I would not sell any computer parts. back in the late 90's it seemed everyone selling computer stuff had bad feedback. When you read what it was about, you could tell the buyers just did not know what they were buying, how to install drivers, etc. and assumed they were getting bad items. Maybe this phenomenon transfers over to video games somewhat.

Anyways, my condolences on the bad deal. I know how much those things stress me out. Try to relax...oooooozzfrabba! Morgan

Don't worry Morgan they will find you!! lol..

Geez, you'd think the seller would take five minutes to wipe it with a damp cloth and clean off all that yucky brown crud!

It cracks my ass up when they write something like "I have not attempted to clean this, I thought I would leave that to the experts", as if the common-ass item they are selling was a rare painting or something.....Morgan

Just when my feedback score went back to 100% from the last dimwit buyer a year ago another one came along.

Here is the eBay listing: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102220524241?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310222052424&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The buyer claims it is not an Atari System. Here is their actual text.

"This console was for a collection. It does not say "Atari." The games are not original Atari. Everything is Sears Tele-Games. I'd never heard of it so I didn't know to watch for it."

Here is my responce in the dispute resolution center:

"The buyer thinks this is not an Atari system. It IS an Atari system. It is simply a version that was sold through Sears. The auction listing clearly described that this is a Sears branded Atari system. I had that in the title, in the description (at the beginning with bold color letters to make it stand out), and it could easly be seen in the picture that it was a Sears Telegames brand Atari system. The buyer could've not bid if they were unsure. The buyer could've contacted me prior to leaving me frivolous negative feedback. The buyer is obviously new (feedback=2) and doesn't know what they are doing. As a result I have lost fees due to a negative PayPal balance and have lost my 100% feedback score; all with no fault of my own. I am a very good seller and even refund shipping charges to exact amounts (see all my refunds in this regard in PayPal). Its not right for the buyer to do this to me. Negative feedback should ONLY be allowed once a dispute has been ruled in favor."

Guess how eBay ruled...In the buyer's favor. What?!?! Am I missing something?

I'm going against the tide here, so... :ponder:

I think the wording and description was confusing. The way it's worded "Atari 2600 - Sears System..." makes it sound like it is an Atari 2600 system. It sounds like you bought this Atari 2600 from Sears, so the buyer may not realize it's a Sears product. Even with the bolded "Sears brand Atari 2600 System", I think it's easy to miss the "Sears brand" part if one doesn't realized that there was such a thing called the Sears Telegames system. The real nail on the head to me though was the list under "You will receive:" It clearly says "Atari 2600 system". Not "Sears Telegames system" which is what you should have stated. That stands out much more than the bolded text above. The way it is read is "You will receive: Atari 2600 system".

A newbie could not tell from the picture if it is a Sears or Atari unit, or know the difference.

Next time, do the following:

•  
  • The title should say "Sears Telegames System - Atari 2600 compatible console".
  • Replace the "Sears brand Atari 2600" with "Sears Telegames System - Atari 2600 compatible console".
  • Under "You will receive", state what it really is - a "Sears Telegames System".

I think eBay ruled correctly here. (for once...) :|

Just when my feedback score went back to 100% from the last dimwit buyer a year ago another one came along.

Here is the eBay listing: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102220524241?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310222052424&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

"This console was for a collection. It does not say "Atari." The games are not original Atari. Everything is Sears Tele-Games. I'd never heard of it so I didn't know to watch for it."

"The buyer thinks this is not an Atari system. It IS an Atari system. It is simply a version that was sold through Sears. The auction listing clearly described that this is a Sears branded Atari system. I had that in the title, in the description (at the beginning with bold color letters to make it stand out), and it could easly be seen in the picture that it was a Sears Telegames brand Atari system. The buyer could've not bid if they were unsure. The buyer could've contacted me prior to leaving me frivolous negative feedback. The buyer is obviously new (feedback=2) and doesn't know what they are doing. As a result I have lost fees due to a negative PayPal balance and have lost my 100% feedback score; all with no fault of my own. I am a very good seller and even refund shipping charges to exact amounts (see all my refunds in this regard in PayPal). Its not right for the buyer to do this to me. Negative feedback should ONLY be allowed once a dispute has been ruled in favor."

I think the wording and description was confusing. The way it's worded "Atari 2600 - Sears System..." makes it sound like it is an Atari 2600 system. It sounds like you bought this Atari 2600 from Sears, so the buyer may not realize it's a Sears product. Even with the bolded "Sears brand Atari 2600 System", I think it's easy to miss the "Sears brand" part if one doesn't realized that there was such a thing called the Sears Telegames system. The real nail on the head to me though was the list under "You will receive:" It clearly says "Atari 2600 system". Not "Sears Telegames system" which is what you should have stated. That stands out much more than the bolded text above. The way it is read is "You will receive: Atari 2600 system".

A newbie could not tell from the picture if it is a Sears or Atari unit, or know the difference.

• The title should say "Sears Telegames System - Atari 2600 compatible console".
  • Replace the "Sears brand Atari 2600" with "Sears Telegames System - Atari 2600 compatible console".
  • Under "You will receive", state what it really is - a "Sears Telegames System".

Anybody who knows anything about 2600 consoles can tell that is a Sears model by the woodgrain color. Besides, pop in a 2600 cart and see if works. Guess what? It does! The auction listing was clear and ebay's decision is proof that they are staffed by morons...

To shed a little light on what is really happening; we were on vacation a few years back and took a tour of eBay's campus. One of the hightlights of the tour was the "Dispute Moderating Chicken" shown below. They are planning to raise listing fees in order to restaff the department with monkeys. Morgan

post-26465-127810468433_thumb.jpg

Anybody who knows anything about 2600 consoles can tell that is a Sears model by the woodgrain color. Besides, pop in a 2600 cart and see if works. Guess what? It does! The auction listing was clear and ebay's decision is proof that they are staffed by morons...

But not everyone knows everything about 2600 consoles. Just because you are an expert doesn't mean everyone else is. If one is not clear as in this description, there will be confusion...and frustration. Again, it clearly says "You will receive: Atari 2600 system" - NOT a Sears system.

Some people are picky about which 2600 they have. Again, just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't care either. Just look around here! Some people want the 6-switch, heavy sixer, junior, etc. Look at label variations. Would you like it if an auction showed a different label variation than what is in the description? I don't think so. However, it's still the same game.

When writing an auction description, one should be write it as if an Atari newbie (i.e. the general public) is reading it. In this case, it was confusing because the description switches between "Sears" and "Atari" several times. I can't see how anyone with decent English skills can call this a well written description.

You are bidding on a very nice Sears brand Atari 2600 System. "Sears Brand" seals the deal as far as I am concerned. If the buyer was confused, there is a nifty little Ask the Seller a question option. Not to mention the picture. If anything, he should have realized his mistake (or misinterpretation) and moved on. We're talking about a pretty clean looking system for around $60 shipped - pocket change. It's not like he got screwed, he actually got a fairly good deal. If this guy is truly buying this for a collection, he's on a road to spending a heck of a lot more than $60...

When writing an auction description, one should be write it as if an Atari newbie (i.e. the general public) is reading it. In this case, it was confusing because the description switches between "Sears" and "Atari" several times. I can't see how anyone with decent English skills can call this a well written description.

Sorry, I have to 100% disagree with you here. This auction is extremely clear in what you're getting and this includes the auction title, description, and pictures. It is not up to the seller to thoroughly educate the buyer about the items being sold, only to accurately describe what they are. in this case, a Sears-branded Atari 2600 console. Which is clear from the title, auction description and picture. It is up to the buyer to educate themselves in the subject area if they are not familiar with the items being bid on.

This buyer is either an idiot, a scammer, or both.

..Al

• Like 4

I sold a broken printer on eBay. It's a $2200 item if you bought it new and $300 for an added piece. I advertised that the printer turns on, but that's all it does. Told people to bid accordingly. I figured worst comes to worst people can use it for parts to fix another printer. They still sell the printer, it's just we decided to go with a new one rather than fixing this one.

Some guy wins the auction and claims it doesn't turn on. I stated right in the auction that it turns on and that's all it does.

PayPal/eBay sides with him and has him return the item. The buyer didn't leave me a negative, eBay refunded my listing fees, but I'm out the price of shipping.

I figured I wasn't alone in this. Sad to hear so many other bad stories.

In this case it seems eBay will automatically issue a full refund from my PayPal account. The buyer has to enter in the shipping/tracking information so it can be known when I get the item back. However, what is to stop them from sending me an empty box and claim the item was indeed shipped back? No end to the possible scamming, if that is what a buyer wants to do.

This is true. He can send you a box of rocks if he wants, and as long as paypal sees a completed delivery they will close the case. Be careful with that. Did he send it back? Just the idea of some jerk even touching the stuff and then returning it would upset me...and I am pretty sure he will not package it with care when he does send it back.