IGNORED

JAMMA boards?

Hey guys haven't been on in awhile. I was looking for some info on these JAMMA boards, I've found a local place that sells them over the internet but I wan't to know more. How do you use them? What can they do? Can you change/add games?

Darren

Edit: https://www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=209&category_id=6&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=17 Was thinking something like this.

Edited by Pyromaniac605

That kit doesn't have very many games for the price.

You might want to check this out.. I believe they ship to AUS..

for about $65 more AUD, 1078 in 1.

I am sure someone here can give you more information. I think I want one of those myself, but I'm unsure what runs better.. getting that or just getting MAME.

The thing with that is that you can buy any arcade cabinet that's JAMMA and pretty much plug it right in. With MAME you'd have to put together a whole Windows computer, install and configure MAME, etc.

That kit doesn't have very many games for the price.

You might want to check this out.. I believe they ship to AUS..

for about $65 more AUD, 1078 in 1.

I am sure someone here can give you more information. I think I want one of those myself, but I'm unsure what runs better.. getting that or just getting MAME.

The thing with that is that you can buy any arcade cabinet that's JAMMA and pretty much plug it right in. With MAME you'd have to put together a whole Windows computer, install and configure MAME, etc.

Honestly I wouldn't have even looked at these but none of my arcade emulators work properly. :sad:

MAME - For older games.

Nebula - Doesn't update the list properly.

Kawaks - Doesn't update the list properly.

If they (mostly the last two) weren't a problem I'd have no need for one of these.

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You've probably already found the info you are looking for by this point, but what the hell..

I'm assuming those multi-in-one arcade boards will have a menu screen that comes up, asking you which game you want to play. Either that, or there are a ****-ton of dip-switches on it for you to select which game is active. I don't have experience with these types of boards so I'm guessing it's the prior.

Going by your question though I am not entirely sure if you have a clear idea of what JAMMA boards are and where they plug into. Let us know if you need clarification on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys haven't been on in awhile. I was looking for some info on these JAMMA boards, I've found a local place that sells them over the internet but I wan't to know more. How do you use them? What can they do? Can you change/add games?

Darren

Edit: https://www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=209&category_id=6&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=17 Was thinking something like this.

From what I have found out, JAMMA is a standard which arcade cabinets are built. What it means is that if you have JAMMA cabinet ready, any arcade board which is JAMMA compatible will be able to use the cabinets VIDEO, JOYSTICKS and COIN mechanisms. I personally have a NEO GEO arcade board which has JAMMA connector, so if I install this board in JAMMA cabinet I will be able to use joystick and video w/o any conversions.

As for switching games, normally you would buy new MB/game. In NEO GEO's case, you only need to buy MVS game cartridges and you are ready to play.

In near future I will post some pics on how I converted my NEO GEO to play w/o arcade cabinet.

Darren

Edit: https://www.arcadega...pshop&Itemid=17 Was thinking something like this.

Those boards are a glorified mame. Nothing wrong with that, and if you do not have a spare computer already, its a nice, easy, clean interfaced way to just enjoy the games.

You drop in your credits, you pick a game from the menu, you hit start, and it plays. Short and sweet.

These boards are not expandable with the games. One thing that I can say that it is a tad bit better than mame. I see less delay when playing pac-man between joystick input/display on screen, than on MAME.

Basically if you want to take the time, if you have a spare computer, to make a nice interface, do that. If you don't, get this.

Darren

From what I have found out, JAMMA is a standard which arcade cabinets are built. What it means is that if you have JAMMA cabinet ready, any arcade board which is JAMMA compatible will be able to use the cabinets VIDEO, JOYSTICKS and COIN mechanisms. I personally have a NEO GEO arcade board which has JAMMA connector, so if I install this board in JAMMA cabinet I will be able to use joystick and video w/o any conversions.

As for switching games, normally you would buy new MB/game. In NEO GEO's case, you only need to buy MVS game cartridges and you are ready to play.

In near future I will post some pics on how I converted my NEO GEO to play w/o arcade cabinet.

I wouldn't advise this. The Neo-Geo boards are almost the same, but you will blow out your on-board sound if you just plug it into a JAMMA cab and try to play. I know you said you'd have joystick and video which is true, but you will fry some sound components. I have a MV-1 board I just acquired that's proof of this.

Here is what I did:

I have Neo Geo MV1FS, i think the MB is jamma compatible, it does have switch to set audio as mono

Video, I have a Commodore 1084 monitor, I used RGB and Sync tapped in the MB

Joystick, I had a old PC jostick, removed all components, solder wires to the PCB and 15DB connector. I used old printer cable cut on both ends.

Audio, Use headphone out, make custom cable.

Power supply, had some 2A 5V PS from wireless access point, cut the end, solder on MB

some pics... :cool:

I'm trying to get some Metal Slug on Ebay, but always getting outbid. :x

post-24138-128408843381_thumb.jpg

post-24138-128408850273_thumb.jpg

post-24138-128408852854_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't advise this. The Neo-Geo boards are almost the same, but you will blow out your on-board sound if you just plug it into a JAMMA cab and try to play. I know you said you'd have joystick and video which is true, but you will fry some sound components. I have a MV-1 board I just acquired that's proof of this.

Are you sure there isn't some other reasoning for this? I didn't have a problem dropping my one-slot MVS into my cab--Plugged it in and out for years, actually.