IGNORED

Sell me on a 5200

stinkoman

So I recently aquired a 7800 and fell in love with it,then I found I can play all my old atari 2600 Im double in love.Is there alot of variety between the 5200 and 7800?I dont want to get a 5200 If most of athe games are also on the 7800.Also this may sound odd but is the 7800 graphics that much better then the 5200?Not comparing it to say Desert Falcon alot of it looks simmillar but im still new to atari in general.I found a 5200 no box with 4 games for $45 controllers are gaurnted to work.

So I recently aquired a 7800 and fell in love with it,then I found I can play all my old atari 2600 Im double in love.Is there alot of variety between the 5200 and 7800?I dont want to get a 5200 If most of athe games are also on the 7800.Also this may sound odd but is the 7800 graphics that much better then the 5200?Not comparing it to say Desert Falcon alot of it looks simmillar but im still new to atari in general.I found a 5200 no box with 4 games for $45 controllers are gaurnted to work.

Well as far as the a5200 go's it's not a bad system at all i find some of the homebrews for this system quite good sinisttar looks awesome

Yes its a beast, and yea the controllers kinda suck, but if u get used to it you might be pleasantly surprised, as a matter of fact there are a few controller options out there for the a5200.

Besides robotron on the 5200 is quite fun, for the money i say give it a shot if u are an atari buff its a must get system.

now dont get me wrong the xegs is quite good as well.

But did i forget to mention that the games are cheaper (pricewatch) then the atari 8 bit games?

No 7800 graphics aren't better than 5200-- it depends on the game, implementation, etc. And in many cases, when the graphics are better on 7800, the sounds aren't as good as 5200. You do need good controllers though as Atari 800 has digital joysticks like 7800.

The games for 5200 can be found dirt cheap. I went to a used game/music store today and they had twenty different 5200 carts for $1 a piece.

The controllers can easily be made good as new with parts from Best Electronics. Mine are now like new since I replaced the flex circuits and pots.

Centipede and Missile Command on 5200 played with the track ball are the best ports on any system.

get an xegs or 800xl and save yourself the heartache

What heartache would that be?

getting a computer is a hassle think a 5200 is huge well nothing is more huge than a computer a monitor a disk drive the power supply and other peripherals and disks

at least with the 5200 you can fit that monster power pack in the trap door

5200 its an adventure hunting down or repairing joysticks i just got another wico stick and man it was weird inside it had 2 different pots one was the old blue type that are in my regular one and the other looked like a standard one but it was factory mounted as it has the rear adjuster made specific for it

well long story shot the blue one was registering like 800k which should be like 500k so i piggybacked a 1 meg resistor on it and that brought it down to 500k full right the up down worked fine

but my other wico is jittery as heck missile command is very difficult and you have to really be a master of the force with star wars then somehow my only origional y cable got slammed in a drawer so now the start button signal wont go through anymore unless i jiggle it and i cant tell if i need to jiggle it near the 5200 jack or the connector to the 5200 stick

if you have any soldering ability i cannot reccomend any more highly than to build the pc joystick adapter it opens up a whole world of facinating controllers,flightsticks,gamepads,steering wheels,yolks

the games are often cheap there are a few that command a premium like frogger 2,pitfall2,bounty bob,death star battle

its almost worth it to get a multicart for the $150 or so they command

space dungeon seems to be the killer app for the 5200 and qix uses both buttons one for slow double score line and the other for fast line

There are many threads on here that will help you decide one way or another.

There are some decent homebrews and it has the best home versions of Berserk and Vanguard (two of my favorites from the arcades).

$45 is a good deal IF those controllers work.

And where can you find a 5200 for $45?

1. Finding out the controllers are broken or the experience of having them break on you.

2. Spending **several times** what cheap 800XL cost merely on 5200 repair/replacement controller, plus cost of 5200 system itself.

3. Hassles and downtime of ordering replacement controllers or attempting to rebuild your own, with no experience.

Good starter list?

1. Finding out the controllers are broken or the experience of having them break on you.

2. Spending **several times** what cheap 800XL cost merely on 5200 repair/replacement controller, plus cost of 5200 system itself.

3. Hassles and downtime of ordering replacement controllers or attempting to rebuild your own, with no experience.

Good starter list?

Stun shock and disbelief. You mean it's possible that controllers on a 27 year old videogame system might not work? I know I dropped all of $1.89 on the roll of tin foil I used to fix the fire buttons. That's the only thing that need repair, and I gotta tell you there's not many less experienced or technical people out there than me. It almost took me fifteen minutes.

Wow. :roll:

There are some decent homebrews and it has the best home versions of Berserk and Vanguard (two of my favorites from the arcades).

Ebay.

$46.00: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506577023311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250657702331&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

$30.99: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2206280368021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220628036802&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

$43.00: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1504632420271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150463242027&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

$29.99: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1604501500851?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160450150085&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Good starter list?

Stun shock and disbelief. You mean it's possible that controllers on a 27 year old videogame system might not work? I know I dropped all of $1.89 on the roll of tin foil I used to fix the fire buttons. That's the only thing that need repair, and I gotta tell you there's not many less experienced or technical people out there than me. It almost took me fifteen minutes.

Even more stun, shock and disbelief: You mean it's possible that controllers on a older-than-27-year-old videogame **DO** work? I am, of course, talking about the 2600 sticks that are dime-a-dozen. Sorry, but you're going to lose if you're going to compare 5200 controllers to 2600. I must applaud you for such a valiant effort in taking the preposterous position that 5200 controllers are not a problem. Wow and :roll: right back at ya.

If all it took was $1.89 worth of tinfoil, I don't suppose Best Electronics would have gone to the trouble to make all those expensive parts now, would they? And no, many gamers would NOT be interested in rebuilding the controllers. I wouldn't be afraid to do it, but let's not kid ourselves that average joe-blow gamer is going to want to do it. Evidence to this fact? Rebuilt controllers are available at Best. Now why do you suppose they are?

So, let's see what they cost. $38, plus $10.25 Priority Mail, plus $2.25 insurance, plus "Gold Surcharge" - whatever that is. So $50.50 plus the "Gold Surcharge" which I imagine is several dollars. So about twice the going rate for a used 800XL, just for one controller. For reference, one of the best deals I could find on a complete-in-box 800XL:

post-16281-127873144368_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good starter list?

Even more stun, shock and disbelief: You mean it's possible that controllers on a older-than-27-year-old videogame **DO** work? I am, of course, talking about the 2600 sticks that are dime-a-dozen. Sorry, but you're going to lose if you're going to compare 5200 controllers to 2600. I must applaud you for such a valiant effort in taking the preposterous position that 5200 controllers are not a problem. Wow and :roll: right back at ya.

If all it took was $1.89 worth of tinfoil, I don't suppose Best Electronics would have gone to the trouble to make all those expensive parts now, would they? And no, many gamers would NOT be interested in rebuilding the controllers. I wouldn't be afraid to do it, but let's not kid ourselves that average joe-blow gamer is going to want to do it. Evidence to this fact? Rebuilt controllers are available at Best. Now why do you suppose they are?

So, let's see what they cost. $38, plus $10.25 Priority Mail, plus $2.25 insurance, plus "Gold Surcharge" - whatever that is. So $50.50 plus the "Gold Surcharge" which I imagine is several dollars. So about twice the going rate for a used 800XL, just for one controller. For reference, one of the best deals I could find on a complete-in-box 800XL:

Um...of course, the 2600 controllers are a dime a dozen. So was the VW Bug. And they probably last and are more durable than, say a Porsche?

Best Electronics. Lets see...why would they make such an expensive thing and sell it for such a high price? IDK..maybe to make money? And what's this "rebuild" you speak of? Gluing a sliver of tin foil on the inside of the fire button is rebuilding? Interesting.

I love seeing the 5200 haters pop up in these threads. I always wonder how often people who complain about the controllers have actually ever even touched one.

For the record, I'm not saying there's anything bad about an 800. But if you're going to be a hater on the 5200, make it about the selection of games. The whole controller issue is easily fixed (assuming you get ones where the fire buttons don't work). If you want to overspend on Bests' overpriced stuff go right ahead.

Good starter list?

Um...of course, the 2600 controllers are a dime a dozen. So was the VW Bug. And they probably last and are more durable than, say a Porsche?

Best Electronics. Lets see...why would they make such an expensive thing and sell it for such a high price? IDK..maybe to make money? And what's this "rebuild" you speak of? Gluing a sliver of tin foil on the inside of the fire button is rebuilding? Interesting.

I love seeing the 5200 haters pop up in these threads. I always wonder how often people who complain about the controllers have actually ever even touched one.

For the record, I'm not saying there's anything bad about an 800. But if you're going to be a hater on the 5200, make it about the selection of games. The whole controller issue is easily fixed (assuming you get ones where the fire buttons don't work). If you want to overspend on Bests' overpriced stuff go right ahead.

You know, it's kind of entertaining to see people like you bend over backwards to protect your systems from scrutiny. You act as though having controllers that break every few months is nothing at all, and that the non-centering sticks are hardly an issue. Yet, at the same time, you pay through the nose for fixed controllers.

The point of the 2600 controllers being dime a dozen is that they're easily and cheaply replaceable, and need to be repaired/replaced much less. The chances of a given 2600 controller in the wild working is unbelievably greater than a given 5200 controller working. So maybe the 2600 controller is like a VW Bug, but the 5200 controller is certainly not a Porsche, so how does the analogy fit?

Best Electronics. Lets see...why would they make such an expensive thing and sell it for such a high price? IDK..maybe to make money?

That, and as well to meet demand for the repair of inherently flawed and unreliable 5200 controllers. No riddle there.

And what's this "rebuild" you speak of? Gluing a sliver of tin foil on the inside of the fire button is rebuilding? Interesting.

I should think a person who has been inside a 5200 controller would be familar with "this rebuild I speak of." Since you're asking, here is Best's page on the rebuild that I speak of. The page is titled "Rebuilding the Atari 5200 CX 52 Joystick." Interesting, indeed.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm

I love seeing the 5200 haters pop up in these threads.

I don't understand why people get upset every time an honest discussion develops about the 5200 controllers. It's not an emotional tale of hatred; it is acknowledging a legendary problem. Discussion of a legitimate issue does not equal hatred.

I always wonder how often people who complain about the controllers have actually ever even touched one.

That would be a valid argument if the purpose was discussing whether or not one likes or dislikes a functioning controller. That's subjective, unlike a discussion of what it takes to get the controllers functioning reliably in order to make that determination.

For the record, I think the 5200 is kind of cool, and when the controllers work, it makes for a compelling game with some of the titles where analog functionality lends a hand. I think they're great in Star Raiders and others, not so good in some others. I don't think the 5200's selection of games is a weak point at all. I have a 5200 on my long-term radar; I am aware of the controller issues and will be prepared to deal with it at that time. I don't think it's unreasonable to point it out to the prospective newbie that they may enjoy a very similar experience to the 5200 with an 800XL, only easier and cheaper. That's cool if the aluminum foil solves fire button problems cheaply, but it is unlikely it would fix all of the problems all of the time. If I were committed to the 5200 and enjoyed it, then I would have no problem spending the money on the Best parts, if they truly do remedy (for once and all) 5200 controller reliability issues. I don't have a 5200 now, but if/when I do, I'll be glad they're available even if they're expensive.

The point of the 2600 controllers being dime a dozen is that they're easily and cheaply replaceable, and need to be repaired/replaced much less. The chances of a given 2600 controller in the wild working is unbelievably greater than a given 5200 controller working. So maybe the 2600 controller is like a VW Bug, but the 5200 controller is certainly not a Porsche, so how does the analogy fit?

Best Electronics. Lets see...why would they make such an expensive thing and sell it for such a high price? IDK..maybe to make money?

That, and as well to meet demand for the repair of inherently flawed and unreliable 5200 controllers. No riddle there.

And what's this "rebuild" you speak of? Gluing a sliver of tin foil on the inside of the fire button is rebuilding? Interesting.

I should think a person who has been inside a 5200 controller would be familar with "this rebuild I speak of." Since you're asking, here is Best's page on the rebuild that I speak of. The page is titled "Rebuilding the Atari 5200 CX 52 Joystick." Interesting, indeed.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm

I love seeing the 5200 haters pop up in these threads.

I don't understand why people get upset every time an honest discussion develops about the 5200 controllers. It's not an emotional tale of hatred; it is acknowledging a legendary problem. Discussion of a legitimate issue does not equal hatred.

I always wonder how often people who complain about the controllers have actually ever even touched one.

That would be a valid argument if the purpose was discussing whether or not one likes or dislikes a functioning controller. That's subjective, unlike a discussion of what it takes to get the controllers functioning reliably in order to make that determination.

For the record, I think the 5200 is kind of cool, and when the controllers work, it makes for a compelling game with some of the titles where analog functionality lends a hand. I think they're great in Star Raiders and others, not so good in some others. I don't think the 5200's selection of games is a weak point at all. I have a 5200 on my long-term radar; I am aware of the controller issues and will be prepared to deal with it at that time. I don't think it's unreasonable to point it out to the prospective newbie that they may enjoy a very similar experience to the 5200 with an 800XL, only easier and cheaper. That's cool if the aluminum foil solves fire button problems cheaply, but it is unlikely it would fix all of the problems all of the time. If I were committed to the 5200 and enjoyed it, then I would have no problem spending the money on the Best parts, if they truly do remedy (for once and all) 5200 controller reliability issues. I don't have a 5200 now, but if/when I do, I'll be glad they're available even if they're expensive.

Ok , to let you know the BEST PARTS ARE REALLY THE BEST HANDS DOWN!

out of all ways to do this i know from experience that there parts are the best especially the gold one and i hope to see them continue this in the far future.

Like i said before, the a5200 is the shit despite ALL OF ITS PROBLEMS.

As a matter of fact i like the sy7stem so much i bought 4 of them 2 2 port and 2 4 port as well as rebuilding about 13 stock sticks with parts from best..my GF is thinkimng im a horder with all of those things..

and as a side note: does anyone have an original of bounty bob strike back for sale? i want to complete the collection.

Ok , to let you know the BEST PARTS ARE REALLY THE BEST HANDS DOWN!

out of all ways to do this i know from experience that there parts are the best especially the gold one and i hope to see them continue this in the far future.

Good to know! Been wondering about that. Friend from childhood still has the 5200 from Christmas 198X, which is the one I remember best. Of course, it's in a box with a bunch of broken controllers. I had never heard testimony about Best's parts, which I'd like to think fix this once and for all, before directing them there. Therefore, I didn't understand berating Best for the prices when I should think 5200 owners would be simply glad they're made.

As a matter of fact i like the sy7stem so much i bought 4 of them 2 2 port and 2 4 port as well as rebuilding about 13 stock sticks with parts from best..my GF is thinkimng im a horder with all of those things..

I tend to horde retro-stuff that I'm interested in as well. I think it's a common condition on this scene.

So, which do you like better, 2 or 4 port? I'm going to guess 2-port, since you have more. And the 2-port has the more standard RF cable and power supply, right?

Edited by wood_jl

That's a pretty good deal whoever won that item. That deal includes the trackball.

About controllers, at least there are various options available depending on game:

Use Trak-Ball for Galaxian, Space Invaders, Missile Command, ...

Use Atari 2600 Paddles for Super Breakout, Kaboom, ...

Use Wico keypad for Frogger in keypad mode (works just like arrow keys, joystick mode sucks since you fire button is used to move)

Use Masterplay or some sort digital joystick interface for Wizard of Wor, Joust, Pac-man, Berzerk, Montezuma's Revenge, Pengo,...

Use Wico joystick or stock controller for Blaster or any others where digital states cause game to go berzerk.

tm: Trak-Ball mis-spelling is trademarked and copyrighted © 1982 Atari inc.

You know, it's kind of entertaining to see people like you bend over backwards to protect your systems from scrutiny. You act as though having controllers that break every few months is nothing at all, and that the non-centering sticks are hardly an issue. Yet, at the same time, you pay through the nose for fixed controllers.

In truth, mine haven't broke since I took a few minutes and fixed the fire buttons, the one issue the 5200 sticks have. I never had a problem with the non-centering issue because, well...I don't suck at videogames. I can see where, if you do, the non-centering issue is a problem. I suggest a little practice. Sometimes that's all it takes.

The original poster said he could pick one up for that.

Wait for a good local deal, and you can get it for less. I got mine with one working controller, one that simply needs a new flex circuit, and a bunch of commons for around $25-$30 (about a year ago).

No 7800 graphics aren't better than 5200-- it depends on the game, implementation, etc.

Are you thinking about this like an engineer and pondering the strengths and weaknesses of MARIA vs. GTIA? Or are you looking at the graphics in games that were released for the 5200 or 7800?

The former is a long rat hole that no one will ever come out of agreeing.

The latter is pretty obvious to me.

Unless you have a bunch of 5200 game cartridges that look like ALIEN BRIGADE or that underwater scene in TOWER TOPPLER.

Back to the original topic, a 5200 has adventure II exclusively and that game rocks. Plus, if you like early 1980s arcade games, it has a KILLER library of them! Closer to arcade than 2600 versions and more of them than on the 7800.

Edited by DracIsBack