IGNORED

Ebay auction advice please

AtariLeaf

So I bid on and bought a copy of Worms 3D for the gamecube after asking the seller if they ship to Canada. They said yes and quoted a $5 shipping charge which is about right. I win the auction for something around $3.50 plus shipping. Pay for the auction then get this message:

I'm having difficultly shipping Worms 3D. It said it would cost only $5 before. I went to ship it today, and the site asked me for $10.40 . I would end up losing money shipping the game. I don't wanna be a hassle. I can only think of two things. I find a way to send you a refund or I gotta ask for at least $6 more, so I can make my $3. Sorry for the trouble.

I at the same time got a message from paypal that my money has been refunded. I know for a fact that sending a gamecube game from the US to Canada doesn't cost anywhere near that so I send a polite message back that ebay sometimes exaggerates shipping costs and to please double check with the post office and once they do I'll resend the funds. I know that ebay's shipping calculator is wildly inaccurate but I get the feeling the seller is trying to back out because the auction ended low. I also know for a fact that if I sent the extra $6 I'd get a package with an actual shipping cost much lower than $10.40. I've received many packages the size of a dvd case from the US and $10.40 is no where near accurate.

Advice?

I would say take your money and run. It does stink when sellers do this. But on the other hand he could of took your money and not shipped anything?

About 2 weeks ago I bought an auction with buy it now like 36 boxed atari games and a system for like $65.00. I won and paid within seconds. The next day they refunded my money and said they just thrown the games in the trash by mistake? oh well I suppose :?

This seller - please identify, thank you - sounds like he/she is already a hassle, but at least you got your money back.

Before you completely walk away, I would politely point them to www.usps.com (I'm guessing the seller is from the USA) and guide them through the international shipping to Canada. Maybe if he/she sees what the PO would actually cost the seller might go through with the sale. Both parties have already proven themselves to be willing to do business. Give it a go and see what happens.

Move south to a real country. :P

Seriously, sounds like he made an exception to his terms, and f'd up on the quote. I always give my vote for the buyer bit in this situation I'd probably say, unless he's a power broker/seller to give him a pass. If you really want the game, offer to pay the shipping so long as it's the ACTUAL shipping cost (including what, a buck for the box/bubble mailer?). If he pulls the "well I'm adding A 100% markup in my quote for "handling", you know what to do. :evil:

Leaf, Here are the real costs: A 9 ounce package (this would include a two-disc gamecube game with thick manual in a bubble envelope, with some extra stiff cardboard added) would ship 1st class international for $4.03. If it were 8 ounces it would be $3.05. PLus .79 for a bubble mailer and you are around $5. But, they do not sell 1st class international online, so the next jump is Priority International and it is $11.45 for either weight. So it is possible the seller is just stupid and/ or lazy and not a total jerk. Morgan

I'll probably just let it go. Not decided if I'll leave a neg or not. No he's not a power seller, only has 91 feedbacks and 100% positive. Username is "deposable"

As jetset mentioned, he doesn't normally ship to Canada so he did me a favor. I just know ebay shipping calculator is giving him bad information. Somehow it told him $5 but when he wanted to ship it, it came up at $10.40 which is absurd. Not costing anywhere near that, I know that for a fact.

Oh well, just hard to find a copy of Worms 3D on the gamecube at a decent price.

Edited by AtariLeaf