IGNORED

Space Football

SoundGammon

I remember seeing a CFL Football demo on the PC a few years back (2000 I think it was)... it was decent for it's time but I don't know if it ever made it out as a retail product... I'd have to check.

I'd certainly enjoy a CFL game on the PS3/XBOX 360!

Every year I wonder why EA doesn't make the CFL rules, colours, and teams a download or "special edition" package. The Grey cup is the second most watched sporting event in Canada every year (right behind the Stanly Cup), so there are millions of CFL fans as potential customers. And changing the game programming to include different colours, players, and three downs can't be that much work. Once it was done once, it'd be pretty simple to do every year.

Because being the "most watched sporting event in Canada" is about as marketable to the rest of the world as being "the most watched Bowling tournament in Guam".

EA focuses on the US and Japan as their primary marketing targets, and then Europe. Three places who basically snicker at any mention of Canadian Football.

+1 for a good bowling game on the 7800. No Ninja Bowling though - please and thank you! :lol:

It truly baffles me why we don't see more Ninja Sports games these days. Imagine the possibilities! Ninja Lacrosse, Ninja Laser Tag, Ninja Debate, or even a hack of Summer Games, to make it into Ninja Olympics!

Because being the "most watched sporting event in Canada" is about as marketable to the rest of the world as being "the most watched Bowling tournament in Guam".

EA focuses on the US and Japan as their primary marketing targets, and then Europe. Three places who basically snicker at any mention of Canadian Football.

Yes, because Guam is in the G8 as one of the World's richest Countries, and their biggest bowling tournament gets over three times the viewship of a season premier of Mad Men, and had almost sixteen million viewers over the course of the entire event. Oh wait.

This is why I said to make it DLC, not a full game. CFL is NFL with 3 downs (leading to more emphasis on special teams) and slightly different measurements. I will never, ever, ever buy a Madden game. A Madden game with CFL as DLC certainly. The people who already buy Madden here will largely spring for the DLC. CFL licencing would be a song and dance compared to NFL licencing. They don't have the market it elsewhere. What I was saying was if they made it once, it could be done every single year for the cost of changing the names of the players. You can't tell me doing that once a generation in order to sell potentially hundreds of thousands of copies of DLC, and potentially many more copies of the original product would not be worth it.

Economic size and population-wise, Canada is basically California. If EA could affordably make a DLC product that would sell very well in the huge Californian market, I am positive they would do it.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 1

I agree it seems it would be very worthwhile to modify Madden for the Canadian market.

I wonder if it's just a problem of corporate culture. Does EA have major offices in Canada? (I don't mean call centers or that type of thing) I see their corporate headquarters is in California, maybe that's where all the major decisions are made and they don't hear enough ideas from the outside.

It truly baffles me why we don't see more Ninja Sports games these days. Imagine the possibilities! Ninja Lacrosse, Ninja Laser Tag, Ninja Debate, or even a hack of Summer Games, to make it into Ninja Olympics!

Ninja Olympics? Why not take to the logical extreme and make Gymkata: the Video Game.

Shark week is coming up on Discovery next week! icon_razz.gif

I've never played the 7800 football game. If you could do something that looked like Ballblazer that would be cool.

Sharktopus for the 7800 expansion module? The question is, would you play the role of the sharktopus (similar to a Rampage-like game) or is defeating the sharktopus the goal? An Easter egg could be allowing the sharktopus to have lasers!!

How does this relate to football? Perhaps the sharktopus could attack a stadium near a body of water on one of the coasts?

This made me laugh out loud. Well played sir. icon_rolling.gif

I agree it seems it would be very worthwhile to modify Madden for the Canadian market.

I wonder if it's just a problem of corporate culture. Does EA have major offices in Canada? (I don't mean call centers or that type of thing) I see their corporate headquarters is in California, maybe that's where all the major decisions are made and they don't hear enough ideas from the outside.

Like almost everyone else (Prince of Persia, Tom Clancy games, and Assassins creed for Ubisoft are made here, Bioware is Canadian, Silicon Knights is Canadian, etc.), EA has a ton of their major offices here. EA Montreal does the Army of Two franchise, and EA in BC does most of the Need for Speed games and, I think, all the NHL games among other sports titles. There is arguably more development of major videogames here for EA, and the industry as a whole, than in the U.S. That's one of the main reasons I've been surprised by the lack of development of one, fairly simple DLC pack.

Like almost everyone else (Prince of Persia, Tom Clancy games, and Assassins creed for Ubisoft are made here, Bioware is Canadian, Silicon Knights is Canadian, etc.), EA has a ton of their major offices here. EA Montreal does the Army of Two franchise, and EA in BC does most of the Need for Speed games and, I think, all the NHL games among other sports titles. There is arguably more development of major videogames here for EA, and the industry as a whole, than in the U.S. That's one of the main reasons I've been surprised by the lack of development of one, fairly simple DLC pack.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of games come from Canada, didn't know how involved EA is there but that company is too big for me to wrap my head around.

The only modern game I'm much familiar with is Morrowind/Oblivion (Canadian as well).

I guess they've decided that Canadians will buy NFL football, so they don't have to give you what you really want. Maybe you need a boycott.. or at least an email campaign.

=============

I don't have much interest in sports games for the 7800, but if I ever did one, it would be indoor soccer. Such a great sport, but virtually unknown nowadays.

WHY? WHY? WHY? Why is it when you start a SPECIFIC topic on here and later the responses are WAY OUT in left field and basically have NOTHING to do with the subject!!! Why? Can't wait to see where the responses go from this posting...probably end up talking about deep sea diving for squid!

Reading these forums gives me the opportunity to do two things: Revisit my joyful memories and experiences regarding 1970's/80's era computer/video technology; and laugh out loud. Thank you for contributing to the latter...

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, because Guam is in the G8 as one of the World's richest Countries, and their biggest bowling tournament gets over three times the viewship of a season premier of Mad Men, and had almost sixteen million viewers over the course of the entire event. Oh wait.

This is why I said to make it DLC, not a full game. CFL is NFL with 3 downs (leading to more emphasis on special teams) and slightly different measurements. I will never, ever, ever buy a Madden game. A Madden game with CFL as DLC certainly. The people who already buy Madden here will largely spring for the DLC. CFL licencing would be a song and dance compared to NFL licencing. They don't have the market it elsewhere. What I was saying was if they made it once, it could be done every single year for the cost of changing the names of the players. You can't tell me doing that once a generation in order to sell potentially hundreds of thousands of copies of DLC, and potentially many more copies of the original product would not be worth it.

Economic size and population-wise, Canada is basically California. If EA could affordably make a DLC product that would sell very well in the huge Californian market, I am positive they would do it.

I remember for a few years the coppies of Madden I would get DID include the stats and teams for the CFL, and you could use those teams in exhbition games and the like (they also included the NFL Europe teams when that was going on). No clue why they stopped, I suspect licencing or the feature wasn't that popular.

Edited by SoulBlazer

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of games come from Canada, didn't know how involved EA is there but that company is too big for me to wrap my head around.

The only modern game I'm much familiar with is Morrowind/Oblivion (Canadian as well).

Huh? Morrowind and Oblivion were created by Bethesda Softworks, which is located in Bethesda Maryland and the work was done out of those offices.

Huh? Morrowind and Oblivion were created by Bethesda Softworks, which is located in Bethesda Maryland and the work was done out of those offices.

Well I apparently have no clue where these companies are located. :) I don't remember where I got the impression Bethesda was Canadian.. but obviously wrong.

I guess the name Bethesda should have clued me in, I think I've heard of that city before but I live so far away from there it didn't cross my mind.