IGNORED

Need to get my 7800 up to speed

RangerG

With all the buzz about the 7800 and the new expansion, I want to get my 7800 up to speed. First, the Harmony will work on it, right? Not to play 7800 games, but to play 2600 games. Also, what are the current options for a s-video mod? There are so many topics on this that I want to know what's still around and the best option today. I won't make one from scratch, but I'm fine with something like the old 8-bit domain ones (minimal soldering). Is Longhorn still selling them or are the old stock of 8-bit domain ones around?

Thanks,

RG

If you're ok with minimal soldering the easier composite mod is actually less soldering then either of the other two. But it's composite not s-video.

Your chances of actually getting either the 8 bit domain guy or longhorn to ship you anything are about as good as finding a needle in a stack of needles. Don't bother unless you find one from a 3rd party in eBay or something.

Edited by Underball

Your chances of actually getting either the 8 bit domain guy or longhorn to ship you anything are about as good as finding a needle in a stack of needles. Don't bother unless you find one from a 3rd party in eBay or something.

Aww, seriously? That's a shame. I still need s-video on my 7800.

Longhorn's mod is still in production. However he is apparently taking many months to ship orders with very minimal contact.

From what I read in the hardware forum, he's taken upwards of 5 months without shipping or contact back, and the only contact he's made were the few vague posts he made on here. Although I think a couple of people on here have finally gotten theirs.

I've also heard that a good number of them were horribly botched, specifically - PacManPlus' mod had to be fixed like 2 or 3 times.

That 8-bit domain thing always seemed like a pyramid scheme to me, where the first few/dozen people who bought one got it shipped, and then he just took everyone else's money, and never shipped anything.

Seriously though, the Easier 7800 Composite Video Mod in THIS POST couldn't be any easier to assemble, and gives as good if not better results than either of the two 8-bit/Longhorn mods. S-video isn't really remarkably better than Composite video anyway since the 7800's output is low-res 320x240ish. S-video only really makes a difference on VCR's and DVD players.

Edited by Underball

• 3 weeks later...

In reference to my first question - does the Harmony work on the 7800? Even if it does, some games may not work properly, correct? The 2600 has more switches than the 7800 and some games use these.

It works perfectly - on the one you sold me last week!

In fact - even though my carts of Robot Tank and Space Shuttle roll the screen on that unit, they work perfectly fine from the Harmony. In fact - all of the "questionable" 2600 games that have issues on some 7800's work fine on the Harmony. Batari put a lot of work into making sure they did.

And yeah - I got the Easier A/V mod installed on that new one, married it up with my old bottom half of the case, and it's perfect. Thanks again.

Edited by Underball