IGNORED

usb legacy engineering joystick came apart

Legend

I usually remove the joystick from the base when I store my retro joystick controller. This morning when I did that, the peg that goes into the base separated from the stick itself! I wasn't rough or forceful with it. I'm always careful with my things. Especially electronics.

So basically, my joystick is in 3 pieces. the base, the stick, and the part between the stick and base which is kinda like a peg the goes into both the stick and the base. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you fix it?

I figured I could just glue it back, but I can't seem to get the peg all the way back inside the joystick. :(

Edited by Legend

That's strange. I had the exact same thing happen to one of my sticks last night, while playing Missile Command (gearing up for 8-bit HSC.) Anyway, when it came out, the first thing I thought of was to check on AA for help. Weird.

I'm going to play around with it today. I may even play around with the idea of transferring the guts into a real CX-40. I've got 3 of them and I rarely ever need to use 2, so I've got one for my evil experiments...MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA <cough, cough, hack, wheeze...>

Transferring it to an original CX-40 from back in the day is a neat idea.

I am thinking this breaking plastic is a molding error with only a few sticks. I have used mine and had no problems at all with anything breaking.

/edit A picture would help so people can see precisely what is breaking.

Edited by nathanallan

Here is a pic of two sticks. The one on the left is intact. The one on the right is the broken one. If you look at the top of the left stick, you can see two very small tabs sticking out...one on each side. Those two tabs fit into the base of the stick. Then, when you turn the stick, the tabs lock into the base.

The stick on the right, you can see (sort of) that both tabs broke off. As a result, the stick won't lock into place anymore. It just spins freely. Also, the stick tends to come out of it's base during gameplay.

This is the stick I'm going to try to transfer into a CX-40 case. If nothing else, it'll be a fun little project. I'll post my results here, whether I'm successful or not.

post-9712-128006982296_thumb.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the blurry pic...I used my iPhone (3G) and it's not really known for taking clear pics close up...can't wait to upgrade to the iPhone 4. :)

Edited by Deteacher

No dice on my first attempt. I was able to transplant the CX-40 stick into the LE housing, but the contact pads don't rest on the part of the stick that would force contact with the board.

If I play with it some more, I'll have to modify the CX-40 stick, if I want it to make proper contact.

I have a transparent Legacy stick, so you can see how it is put together. There's the stick part, which is one molded piece, and then the peg that goes into the base, which is another molded piece. That piece on the clear stick appears to just be jammed into the stick, and as swuch, can probably be pulled out, though it's very tight on mine, so I don't know.

I'd suggest just shoving it back in good and hard. If it bothers you, or keeps coming out, put a dab of super glue on it and then push the peg back into the stick.

Here's a pic of just the peg end of the stick...if that may help anyone know what i"m talking about :P

post-3102-128009293835_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a pic of two sticks. The one on the left is intact. The one on the right is the broken one. If you look at the top of the left stick, you can see two very small tabs sticking out...one on each side. Those two tabs fit into the base of the stick. Then, when you turn the stick, the tabs lock into the base.

The stick on the right, you can see (sort of) that both tabs broke off. As a result, the stick won't lock into place anymore. It just spins freely. Also, the stick tends to come out of it's base during gameplay.

This is the stick I'm going to try to transfer into a CX-40 case. If nothing else, it'll be a fun little project. I'll post my results here, whether I'm successful or not.

post-9712-128006982296_thumb.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the blurry pic...I used my iPhone (3G) and it's not really known for taking clear pics close up...can't wait to upgrade to the iPhone 4. :)

My problem is not that the little tabs broke off, but the whole peg that the tabs are atached to came off. It didn't snap off, but came apart. So I have 3 pieces total. (1)The stick, (2)the peg that one end goes into the stick and the other end with the tabs goes into the base, and (3)the base itself.

The problem with just putting it back in is that there seems to be little tabs on the inside of the stick like on the outside of the peg that goes into the base, but the slits on the peg are small and get narrower as it goes down. Extremely hard to line them up an a black stick since I can't see where to line them up very well. That was the first thing I tried, but can't get it all the way back inside the stick.

Edited by Legend

How about marking some guide lines? Mark along the side of the peg where the slits in the peg are, and mark the base of the stick where the pegs are inside of it, (should be easier to see while it's apart) and try to line the marks on the peg and stick up as you shove it back together. I do believe it's supposed to be a compression fit, and is probably going to be tight any way you do it.

Other than that, you might have to shave the peg down a little till you can get it as far in as it's supposed to go, then epoxy or super glue it in place.