IGNORED

what is the best 2 button joystick?

lucifershalo

The TAC-2 by Suncom should be about the best "joystick" you can get for the 7800. They are just slightly larger versions of the Slik Stik for the 2600 which I LOVE, (and is the only joystick I use).

They don't wear out like a normal joystick because of the way they're built.

• 1 month later...

I'm still partial to converted Radica Space Invaders controllers. I built my first set nearly five years ago now, and I only have a few extras left, but I still use them as my main 7800 controllers today.

I have one of your RSI sticks I got years ago, and it's my favorite as well.

To answer the OP, there really weren't any third party 2-button sticks besides that Sears Telegames Super Deluxe, and I wouldn't say that was any improvement. The only alternative is to make your own.

The TAC-2 by Suncom should be about the best "joystick" you can get for the 7800. They are just slightly larger versions of the Slik Stik for the 2600 which I LOVE, (and is the only joystick I use).

They don't wear out like a normal joystick because of the way they're built.

The TAC-2 is a great stick, probably my favorite 2600 stick, but the two fire buttons are the same button, and not compatible with 2-button 7800 games without modification. Even then, the placement wouldn't be ideal.

Seems that I've heard of some who have hacked Wico controllers that have the button on the top of the stick and one in the traditional spot to work as a 2 button stick for the 7800 as well.

Man, I wish I could answer, but I still don't have a working two-button 7800 controller. Sure, I've got tons of the stock 7800 controllers, but apparently if they've ever been used in the past then they won't work in the present. They're horrible. I've been considering modding some master system or megadrive pads to work, but haven't decided on which type to gut yet.

Seems that I've heard of some who have hacked Wico controllers that have the button on the top of the stick and one in the traditional spot to work as a 2 button stick for the 7800 as well.

I've actually done this, on a Wico bathandle that the joystick cord got crimped by accident. I even removed all the solder on the switch for the buttons (it's actually double pole double throw), so that I can switch on the fly which button does what.

It works OK, not quite as well as my own personal Radica conversion that I did, but it's still better than the stock stick.

I was just talking to a fellow youtuber about this and I told him I had heard that the Genesis pad can be modded fairly easily for two button 7800 use. Is this true or am I remembering wrong?

You need to cut some traces and solder in some resistors. Not sure if that's what you'd consider easy or not.

I was just talking to a fellow youtuber about this and I told him I had heard that the Genesis pad can be modded fairly easily for two button 7800 use. Is this true or am I remembering wrong?

You need to cut some traces and solder in some resistors. Not sure if that's what you'd consider easy or not.

Well I'm a solder newb. Never done it and don't have the equipment yet. I'd love to learn if I had the time.