IGNORED

Popeye Spinach Can Game Card? (pics added)

dommie

I was logging some inventory for my store today and started on a stack of 5200 games. Right off the bat, the first one I grabbed was Popeye - complete in box. Out of curiosity I pulled the cart out of the little tray inside the box. Underneath it was a little scratch-off game card called "Popeye's Spinach Can Game." The card is flawless and unscratched. Sure enough, on the front of the box is an add that says you can scratch and win a Popeye arcade game.

How rare are these cards in unscratched condition? Approximate value of the whole complete in box game including card?

TIA

2010-07-26135842.jpg

2010-07-26135913.jpg

Edited by dommie

i recon its about as rare as any sealed 5200 popeye cart

I don't think all the Popeye carts came with the card. Just googling around, I've seen some boxes with the contest card add on the front, and some without.

Parker Bros included that card on the 2600 & 8-bit versions as well as the 5200, possibly onto some of the other platforms as well. It's a nice find, they didn't all come with them, and most were usually discarded.

• 2 weeks later...

i recon its about as rare as any sealed 5200 popeye cart

I don't think all the Popeye carts came with the card. Just googling around, I've seen some boxes with the contest card add on the front, and some without.

Correct. I've got both box variations. In my experience the box without the card is rarer. I've got an unscratched card as well, I don't think they're overly rare.

Tempest