IGNORED

Hozer Repo being sold as real

Devin

Selling repros is cool so long as you mention that IT IS a repro.

You may want to ask the copyright holders how cool they think it is.

I thought this particular game was basically abandon-ware and no one currently holds the copyright. Anyone know?

no such thing as abandonware, someone somewhere holds the copyright.

Legalities aside, I'm more concerned about somebody buying it *thinking* it's the real deal and it's not. And I'm just as concerned about some schmuck profiting off a repro like it's the real deal. It's worth no more than a repro of Combat.

I thought this particular game was basically abandon-ware and no one currently holds the copyright. Anyone know?

Very well. Then it's not cool anymore. My apologies.

Very well. Then it's not cool anymore. My apologies.

Repros are generally not frowned upon if everything is explained in detail. That is unless the copyright holder actually does let you know it isn't cool.

You can go to the real Hozer and have a copy made for you for about $16 plus shipping - and I'm sure this eBay seller knows that. To ask $75 plus shipping is incredibly dishonest, and downright scumbag-ish. :thumbsdown:

You can go to the real Hozer and have a copy made for you for about $16 plus shipping - and I'm sure this eBay seller knows that. To ask $75 plus shipping is incredibly dishonest, and downright scumbag-ish. :thumbsdown:

There is nothing dishonest about selling something for a huge markup. More power to you if someone is willing to buy it because they are too impatient or too lazy to figure out that you can get it elsewhere for cheap. What is dishonest is not marking it as a repro. If he would have added that it was a repro in the description it would be cool in my eyes. That way anybody that sees the auction can google it and figure out that you can get repros for under $20. If you are thorough and honest in your description not too many people should have a problem with it.

I remember some guy selling Ultima 4 without floppy label because of age it fell off. I reported it to EA and let them deal with it. I think informing the IP holder was more productive. I did what you guys are doing for a couple of weeks, but it seems nothing really changed. The seller just relisted if the item just happened to be taken down. I would notify the group that owns the rights to the property and the company that produced the title if they are still around.

So I have to ask the question noobish though it may be.

How do you know it is a reproduction?

I only ask so that I don't find myself on the loosing end of something like this one day.

Also, what should these games (Halloween and Texas) be worth when they are the real deal?

I see nothing wrong with selling a reproduction cartridge at all. Except that it must be labeled on the auction page that it is a repro. The label on the cartridge appears to be home printed (not the same quality I have seen on genuine items, and I have seen better quality on other repro labels as well).

The price is unreasonably high for a reproduction, which I think is the sticking point to one of the above posts. Would I pay $75-100 for the real thing? Sure, most collectors would I think; unless they were really patient, or had other leads. Asking genuine price for a repro item is pretty unethical, though merely taking advantage of a situation.

Hateful: I do not know how the market is these days, but a few years ago, I was seeing $75-150 for genuine Wizard titles on auction. Just depends on if a bid war happens.

I looked at eBay for these games, and I would like to have something like this to add to my very small collection of mostly common games (I don't even have a copy of Centeped yet.... I mean really...) but I'm overly concerned about these reproductions now and I can't trust anyone anymore. This sucks.

Must to research into how to ID a reproduction before I go spending big money.

Does everyone think that we should create an "eBay Blacklist" that contains the names of deceptive or dishonest sellers?

Or perhaps, a thread that tells how to avoid cheap fakes and forgeries. Basically, a warning about the Hozer face and other tell-tale signs.

Such a list should be pinned at the top of this sub-forum.

Does everyone think that we should create an "eBay Blacklist" that contains the names of deceptive or dishonest sellers?

Or perhaps, a thread that tells how to avoid cheap fakes and forgeries. Basically, a warning about the Hozer face and other tell-tale signs.

I recommended that weeks ago and nobody gave a shit. There were as many people who agreed as there were jerkoffs poking fun at the idea.

And yet we blame ebay because they don't care to do anything. :roll:

I am off and on on AA as I have a lot going on at any given time. I think the thread for "How to spot a repro, or a fake" is a great idea. This isn't to bash the sale and circulation of reproduction carts (as some of us wouldn't have certain titles in our collections if not for reproductions), but how to recognize a repro/fake depending on how it is being marketed, correct? eBay should have a tutorial about that themselves! But, as this forum is a source of collective knowledge and all that, I think it's an awesome idea.

As an example, I once bought a reproduction Airball cartridge, and it looked legit from the outside, as whoever did the repro cared enough to put it in a clean, black Tengen cart w/o label. All proto pics I have seen of this in the case was such. The seller didn't state whether it was repro or legit, so I assumed it was a reproduction, and bid accordingly. I won the auction for what I thought was a fairly modest price. Popped the case open, and on the board is a sticker, stating who dumped the ROM, and when (nice touch for whoever made the board). Just something that might be added to such a thread: at times, it is appropriate to ask to see the board/ROM chips themselves to verify authenticity, or reproduction status.

I recommended that weeks ago and nobody gave a shit. There were as many people who agreed as there were jerkoffs poking fun at the idea.

And yet we blame ebay because they don't care to do anything. :roll:

I think that's an idea worth trying. :thumbsup: