IGNORED

Really?

HatefulGravey

http://savannah.craigslist.org/atq/1867867599.html

I'm still pretty new to Atari collecting. In fact I have made one purchase so far and it wasn't huge at all, so I have a lot to learn.

$250? Is that truely reasonable? I honestly can't afford to buy it, and I'm a player more then collector anyway. I do wonder though if that is really worth it. If it is contact the guy. I know most of you, if not all, live too far to drive to meet this guy, but I bet you could work something out if this is something you really want.

At the top of this page is an AtariAge logo. Just under that is a blue bar. If you click on "2600" in the blue bar and then search for "Centipede" you will find that it is an R2 for rarity. Since R2 is quite common, it isn't worth very much.

I understand that there is a rarity guide on this site. I have used it more then a little and I thought I understood that to be the common rarity of games, which does lend to its value. However, it doesn't seem to say how rare a game is in it's original box and still shrink rapped as this claims to be.

Forgive me for being new to collecting these games and systems. I ask questions because I would like to know. It would seem I have a habbit of asking overly noobish questions and upsetting people or atleast inspiring some feelings of frustration with my lack of knowledge. It would seem likely this forum has seen a lot of new people looking for answers to questions more expereinced collectors think too minimal to answer without insult.

At the top of this page is an AtariAge logo. Just under that is a blue bar. If you click on "2600" in the blue bar and then search for "Centipede" you will find that it is an R2 for rarity. Since R2 is quite common, it isn't worth very much.

I understand that there is a rarity guide on this site. I have used it more then a little and I thought I understood that to be the common rarity of games, which does lend to its value. However, it doesn't seem to say how rare a game is in it's original box and still shrink rapped as this claims to be.

Forgive me for being new to collecting these games and systems. I ask questions because I would like to know. It would seem I have a habbit of asking overly noobish questions and upsetting people or atleast inspiring some feelings of frustration with my lack of knowledge. It would seem likely this forum has seen a lot of new people looking for answers to questions more expereinced collectors think too minimal to answer without insult.

The answer seemed friendly and straightforward to me. Not sure how you'd infer feelings of frustration or any insult in it unless it was the step-by-step. But sometimes it's hard to tell how much guidance someone needs so you try to spell it all out right off the bat.

But yeah I'd say the rarity of Centipede new, shrinkwrapped and in it's original box is about an R2.

You took that as an insult? I was just trying to point you in the right direction. :ponder:

You took that as an insult? I was just trying to point you in the right direction. :ponder:

To be honest I have gotten enough "questionable" respose to post and PMs that I'm on edge about it I guess. I don't know that anything I have posted yet has been well recieved to the point that I was thinking about leaving the forum all together. If it wasn't meant to be belittling then no harm done, but so far everything has been really well spelled out and I'm just not that dumb. It starts to seem like your being talked down to after a while... My bad... again!

And I have sucessfully jacked my own thread. Not cool.

Thanks for the answers though, I did forget to say that, and thats not a good thing. Thanks.

To be honest I have gotten enough "questionable" respose to post and PMs that I'm on edge about it I guess. I don't know that anything I have posted yet has been well recieved to the point that I was thinking about leaving the forum all together. If it wasn't meant to be belittling then no harm done, but so far everything has been really well spelled out and I'm just not that dumb. It starts to seem like your being talked down to after a while... My bad... again!

Thanks for the answers though, I did forget to say that, and thats not a good thing. Thanks.

Sounds like you are being a sensitive sally. I didn't detect an inkling of anything other than helpfulness in this thread.

Dude, just give it a little time. They see the low post count and question about something they all know the answer to as seasoned vets. The replies can come off a little condescending sometimes, even if not meant to be.

You did the best thing you can posting in the introductions section. Welcome to AA, please give it a chance. It's a place you want to stick with. Just as many personalities around here as there are people in the world.

AX

It takes a while for people to get to know you. You have a distinctive name, which helps, but you only have 13 posts. I don't know how many posts it takes, but I bet 100 wouldn't be enough.

When you asked if a rarity 2 game was worth $250 I assumed that you didn't know it was an R2. I guess that was a bad assumption. Anyway, yeah, no harm done.

The fact that it's common doesn't mean that a sealed copy wouldn't be worth a decent chunk of change, so simply pointing out to him that it is an R2 or sending him to the rarity guide doesn't really answer the question. Yes, a sealed Centipede for the 2600 is worthless, but a sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda or the original Super Mario Bros. would be worth quite a bit more than a loose copy, and those games are both dirt common.

Chris

• Like 3

The fact that it's common doesn't mean that a sealed copy wouldn't be worth a decent chunk of change, so simply pointing out to him that it is an R2 or sending him to the rarity guide doesn't really answer the question. Yes, a sealed Centipede for the 2600 is worthless, but a sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda or the original Super Mario Bros. would be worth quite a bit more than a loose copy, and those games are both dirt common.

Chris

Totally agreed. Sometimes we forget that some new Atari 2600 collectors are also long time NES collectors. For them a price of $250 for a common sealed game is the norm in that hobby. For us paying $25 for a sealed copy of a common title is thought of as paying too much.

Chris

Totally agreed. Sometimes we forget that some new Atari 2600 collectors are also long time NES collectors. For them a price of $250 for a common sealed game is the norm in that hobby. For us paying $25 for a sealed copy of a common title is thought of as paying too much.

:rolling: Homer Post Rule #1 "Must jab NES collectors." ™

$250 for an R2? That's crazy! :o

Nes collecting is much crazier than Atari collecting in general, especially sealed stuff. Sealed NES stuff is way different than sealed Atari stuff though. It is easy to find most common Atari games sealed. However, the vast majority of SMB or Zelda carts were opened, making it very hard to find sealed. The prices do get out of hand though. Look at that sealed Stadium Events from a few months back.

Nes collecting is much crazier than Atari collecting in general, especially sealed stuff. Sealed NES stuff is way different than sealed Atari stuff though. It is easy to find most common Atari games sealed. However, the vast majority of SMB or Zelda carts were opened, making it very hard to find sealed. The prices do get out of hand though. Look at that sealed Stadium Events from a few months back.

Atari has so many rare games most people are happy with a loose cart. Most Atari collectors just try and find one of each title (perhaps variations as well) any way they can get it be it loose or sealed and as of yet I don't think anyone has ever found every title esp if you collect PAL as well. With NES you can buy them all in a short period of time if you have the cash so they had to invent a new rarity with sealed. The challenge of finding games sealed has created an artifical rarity but increased the playtime for those collecting NES.

I don't actually think it's all that easy to find most common Atari games sealed, at least not anymore and not in decent shape or in the original or early run boxes. Sure, the O'Sheas stuff, the late 80s releases and a handful of games like Missile Command, Defender and Warlords are everywhere, but even stuff that should be super easy to find like Pacman, Space Invaders and certainly most of the 1977-1983 releases can be tough to get sealed nowadays. Most third party stuff is even harder to find. When's the last time anyone saw an Adventure or Haunted House sealed/mint for sale? I also think that NES collectors are generally pickier about condition. I was sort of shocked at what Atari2600.com considered an 8, 9 or even 10 on their grading scale at CGE. Stuff with box wear, dents, bad smooshing, etc...I certainly think NES prices for sealed stuff is ridiculous, but I equally believe that 2600 sealed stuff is grossly undervalued given its scarcity.

• Like 1

I got an sealed Adventure for $50 last week! :)

So that was you silly boy... that copy was re-listed 3 times with a starting price of $9.99 and zero bids ;)

Hahaha......I am happy with that price........I have seen them for going for much more in the past!

• 2 weeks later...

I got an sealed Adventure for $50 last week! :)

So that was you silly boy... that copy was re-listed 3 times with a starting price of $9.99 and zero bids ;)

Hahaha......I am happy with that price........I have seen them for going for much more in the past!

Yeah, you're right, its still is a pretty good price. I just assumed you already had one otherwise I would have sent you the link the first time it was listed :sad: