IGNORED

Ebay Excessive shipping Control?

Chris Leach

$12 is one hell of an offset......Then when I asked if the fees could be combined...they told me they can not ship the items togethr for fear they may break one another?

Seriously...? Are they gonna break out of their bubble wrap and start a samurai showdown in mid air delivery...?

I paid for two with shipping, but did not complete the best offer price I suggested for the third..Pointless really...12 is a shockbox for the mvs cart and a litho....!

ebays screws over the sellers badly in fees, the only way we sellers can offset evilbay is by jacking the shipping cost as high as we can...

Exactly. Some buyers understand the big picture that way (total price they've won something for and they bid or bought accordingly) and some just don't get it.

There are many categories also where ePay forces the seller to only charge so much for shipping. In most of the instances I deal with, it's not enough to cover the cost of shipping/packing/handling.

If ePay wasn't going out of their way to excessively control every aspect of selling on their board, people wouldn't be seeking other ways to make up for the difference. They're simply out of whack today and so are their fees.

Edited by save2600

I agree with the epay being out of whack...I made an offer on three items...thinking the seller would be combining shipping. The auctions did not say they wouldn't so I was like alright...I paid right away even after the member suggested it costs $12 to ship one mvs cart....? Seriously...

Seriously...? Are they gonna break out of their bubble wrap and start a samurai showdown in mid air delivery...?

:lol:

Hilarious, I just caught this. So, what was the offer for? Was it low enough to where you think the guy was trying to make a few extra bucks or what?

Neo*Geo carts *can* go for pretty cheap today, especially the AES stuff. So maybe the guy is in denial. I have a friend with 3 multi-cart AES systems he paid retail for in the mid to late 90's. Needless to say, the guy thought he should still have $12k worth of SNK gear and nearly shat himself when I finally convinced him the bottom has totally fallen out from under this stuff. Don't know about your ePay seller - but sounds like he might either be out of touch with reality or something. lol

Edited by save2600

icon_lol.gif

Hilarious, I just caught this. So, what was the offer for? Was it low enough to where you think the guy was trying to make a few extra bucks or what?

Neo*Geo carts *can* go for pretty cheap today, especially the AES stuff. So maybe the guy is in denial. I have a friend with 3 multi-cart AES systems he paid retail for in the mid to late 90's. Needless to say, the guy thought he should still have $12k worth of SNK gear and nearly shat himself when I finally convinced him the bottom has totally fallen out from under this stuff. Don't know about your ePay seller - but sounds like he might either be out of touch with reality or something. lol

I bought two mvs carts..pretty fairly priced, but I offered a lower price and he bit....So I got a good deal per cart, but then he want $12 a piece to ship within the usa....I think hes smokin reefer or pole..can;t decide which...

Oh well...I paid him and reported the excessive shipping on both items...see what ebay says next..if I have to call them I will...

I end up having the opposite problem when selling, eBay says I can only charge X, but it ends up costing more than that.

I don't think $12 for one cart is outrageous, if you add insurance and delivery confirmation to priority mail, that's about the right range. I've hit that much with small items easily. Same if you use a flat-rate-box. Parcel post is a different story.

Three for $36? Yeah, that's out of hand.

I just got an MVS cart in the mail today, I should check what he paid when I get back home.

• Like 1

I do not mind them charging it separately as long as they are shipped separately. If they save money on consolidated shipping, I expect savings too.

I do not mind paying for services as advertised. If they charge for Priority, DC, and insurance, but ship 1st Class and DC no insurance. I give them hell.

The problem with the ebay sellers trying to profit off shipping is the lines get blurred and they start getting greedy.

Edited by Almost Rice

ebays screws over the sellers badly in fees, the only way we sellers can offset evilbay is by jacking the shipping cost as high as we can...

Soo...ebay "screws" sellers, and in turn that justifies screwing your customers.

Brilliant.

Attitudes like this are exactly why ebay finally fixed the feedback system. It lets us buyers neg the shit out of sellers who pull this kind of crap. If I pay $12 to get a cart shipped to me, there'd better be at least a $10 stamp on it. Else the seller gets a well deserved neg. And there ain't a damn thing the seller can do about it.

• Like 2

Soo...ebay "screws" sellers, and in turn that justifies screwing your customers.

No, no, no Jetset...

It's like this: sellers tired of getting gang raped by excessive fees, purposely list and sell their goods for much cheaper than the "going rate" and then try to make up for the lost margin in their shipping. Many, if not most buyers understand what something is "worth" and many fully understand what is going on here.

Here's a fictional scenario for 'ya and for the sake of conversation, let's take Devo's latest album on vinyl LP. The MSRP on that sucker is $22.99.

Seller 'A' on ePay is offering it for $22.99 + $4 shipping = $26.99, buy it now.

Seller 'B' is offering it at $18.99 + $8 shipping - $26.99, buy it now.

Seller 'C' is offering it at $12.99 + $14 shipping = $26.99, buy it now.

The difference to the buyer? Absolutely nothing. All boils down to marketing. Seller 'C' took a great hit on the margin of the LP, but is more than making up for it with the excessive shipping and "handling" cost. ePay is more than aware that people have abused their system, trying to circumvent fees - so they instituted their s/h policies to not only placate the least common denominator (people that do not understand or care how businesses make money, or the seller dynamics involving ePay), but to also try to soak sellers for every last penny they (ePay) is "entitled" to since after all, you're using their system in which to transact business.

My only real gripe when it comes to sellers shipping things via ePay (and I witness it all the time), is when they say they're going to ship something a certain way, they charge you the exact/appropriate amount, and then they go ahead and ship it a cheaper method anyway. Those are the douchebag sellers I have no problem leaving a lower star rating for. Especially when they don't even pack properly or are way off in their item description (most sellers I've had experience with on ePay today do not know the difference between like new, acceptable and very good) - but that's another chapter entirely.

Edited by save2600

No, no, no Jetset...

It's like this: sellers tired of getting gang raped by excessive fees, purposely list and sell their goods for much cheaper than the "going rate" and then try to make up for the lost margin in their shipping. Many, if not most buyers understand what something is "worth" and many fully understand what is going on here.

Here's a fictional scenario for 'ya and for the sake of conversation, let's take Devo's latest album on vinyl LP. The MSRP on that sucker is $22.99.

Seller 'A' on ePay is offering it for $22.99 + $4 shipping = $26.99, buy it now.

Seller 'B' is offering it at $18.99 + $8 shipping - $26.99, buy it now.

Seller 'C' is offering it at $12.99 + $14 shipping = $26.99, buy it now.

The difference to the buyer? Absolutely nothing. All boils down to marketing. Seller 'C' took a great hit on the margin of the LP, but is more than making up for it with the excessive shipping and "handling" cost. ePay is more than aware that people have abused their system, trying to circumvent fees - so they instituted their s/h policies to not only placate the least common denominator (people that do not understand or care how businesses make money, or the seller dynamics involving ePay), but to also try to soak sellers for every last penny they (ePay) is "entitled" to since after all, you're using their system in which to transact business.

My only real gripe when it comes to sellers shipping things via ePay (and I witness it all the time), is when they say they're going to ship something a certain way, they charge you the exact/appropriate amount, and then they go ahead and ship it a cheaper method anyway. Those are the douchebag sellers I have no problem leaving a lower star rating for. Especially when they don't even pack properly or are way off in their item description (most sellers I've had experience with on ePay today do not know the difference between like new, acceptable and very good) - but that's another chapter entirely.

Absolutely wrong. In the end Ebay is losing money through this very deceptive (and against the TOS btw) practice. In turn Ebay raises their fees (take a wild guess WHY ebay charges so much?), and the actual honest sellers need to raise their selling prices to make up for the extra fees caused by the thieves.

Much in the same way when someone shoplifts. Does it cost you money when a fellow shopper stuffs a pack of batteries in their pocket and walks out without paying? No, not at first. Of course the crook thinks it's ok because hey, the store is raping them on the products they cant steal, so in their mind it balances out. Now a few more crooks steal small items. And a few more. And a few more. Eventually, the store has to raise prices to compensate for the theft, at least if they want to stay in business.

In your example(s), if the cost to ship is $4.00, anything higher is both stealing from your customer, and the guy who you rent your booth from. You can (try to) justify the thievery any way you like, but it is what it is.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, this line of thinking...that deception and thievery are ok because you've justified it by spinning it to your liking, is precisely why Ebay made the feedback system the way it is, and a huge reason why Ebay keeps raising their fees.

• Like 1

Absolutely wrong. In the end Ebay is losing money through this very deceptive (and against the TOS btw) practice.

What part of my last paragraph is "absolutely" wrong?? Facts are facts.

I partly get what you're trying to communicate and I am not "absolutely" wrong. Obviously, you haven't been with eBay since the beginning, else you'd have more of a centered understanding of where some people are coming from. And they aren't losing any money, only a fool would say that. Their current management, policies and business philosophy would never allow it.

I like you Jetset, but your logic is flawed because "actual honest sellers" hardly ever get a chance to even sell their goods at a fair price in this environment (without the risk of starting an auction at a penny without reserve) because eBay currently has such a flawed and seriously corrupt system that would not exist if it were not for THEIR (no one else's) business practices. A culture that they themselves have fostered within the last few years.

Chicken or the egg type scenario.

We're talking about a broker here. Not a direct to customer experience. Only thing eBay is good for now is reaching millions of potential customers and scam artists and they've capitalized on this big time. In fact, they've placed ALL their eggs in this basket, all the while screwing over the seller. And the buyer to a lesser degree. What eBay is today is a seriously flawed exercise in totalitarianism that is based on a model no where near their original founding concept. Governmental parallels to be observed here surely.

And for you to defend their current feedback system only solidifies your misunderstanding of all things historically eBay.

A buyer is not simply a buyer and neither is a seller.

BTW: and this should go without saying... I am not defending douchebag eBay activity from sellers (and buyers), merely trying to explain mindsets here.

Edited by save2600

I end up having the opposite problem when selling, eBay says I can only charge X, but it ends up costing more than that.

I don't think $12 for one cart is outrageous, if you add insurance and delivery confirmation to priority mail, that's about the right range. I've hit that much with small items easily. Same if you use a flat-rate-box. Parcel post is a different story.

Three for $36? Yeah, that's out of hand.

I just got an MVS cart in the mail today, I should check what he paid when I get back home.

No tracking info...No insurance...Just a piece of Shit charging me out the ass for some shipping to make an extra buck! Did I have to win his auction...? No! But did he have to accept my best offer price....? NO!!!! HE DID NOT! So he did, but does that necessitate a high ass price for shipping? NO!

It does not...all he has to do is put the items int he same box and refund me $20 bucks thats all!

Then it would be fair...

• Like 1

Brilliant.

Attitudes like this are exactly why ebay finally fixed the feedback system. It lets us buyers neg the shit out of sellers who pull this kind of crap. If I pay $12 to get a cart shipped to me, there'd better be at least a $10 stamp on it. Else the seller gets a well deserved neg. And there ain't a damn thing the seller can do about it.

This seller should look forward to negative feedback to begin with. This kind of crap is BS!

• Like 1

It does not...all he has to do is put the items int he same box and refund me $20 bucks thats all!

Then it would be fair...

I do agree that he should if your offer was fair and if he cared about holding a certain reputation within the community (ePay and elsewhere).

If your offer was $5ea. for something that is worth $20ea. and he accepted, well then I hope he'd have communicated clearly what was to be regarding shipping. Kinda sounds like this particular dude is being somewhat of an asshat though. I guess as a buyer, you need to read the fine print before committing to a deal. I've written before to sellers that have not made it obvious that they combine shipping, yet requested it. Most say sure! Some don't. All depends on the particular deal.

He's either an asshat or there has been a misunderstanding here. That's all I'm trying to say. :)

Edited by save2600

$12 is one hell of an offset......Then when I asked if the fees could be combined...they told me they can not ship the items togethr for fear they may break one another?

I paid for two with shipping, but did not complete the best offer price I suggested for the third..Pointless really...12 is a shockbox for the mvs cart and a litho....!

If he ships in properly via fed ex. his cost will average in the US $9 plus packaging and time for an employee to pack it. $12 seems ok. he might nreak even. However Formultiples the cost doesnt double. That's where he is screwing you.

If he ships in properly via fed ex. his cost will average in the US $9 plus packaging and time for an employee to pack it. $12 seems ok. he might nreak even. However Formultiples the cost doesnt double. That's where he is screwing you.

I am not gay! i have a new baby on the way for february. I will be the father of two and the husband of the luckiest woman in the world....I know how to rock the sheets..if you know whaty I mean...either way..If this asshat thinks he is gonna screw me, maybe he should have just accepted my request to pull my bids and act as if it never happen. I hope this selle rknows I do not like to be screwed and I just want my games at a fair value that both of us can agree on. HIs shipping is his idea \ but when I win more than one....my idea of shipping is to combine the shipping and give me my games at no further cost to myself!!!

• Like 1

Brilliant.

Wow, folks like you are what is wrong with ebay!

Did you ever take a business class or what? Say the cost of fuel goes up. the cost of that is passed on to the company receiving the items,who in turn passes it on to the customer. Capitalism,learn it,love it! Nobody just eats cost increases if they dont have to.Same thing on ebay.

The feedback system will be fixed when they set it back to the way it was. Ebay is chaging by the way, new changes to reign in buyers on the horizon. Sellers are making ebay do something about it!

I am not gay! i have a new baby on the way for february. I will be the father of two and the husband of the luckiest woman in the world....I know how to rock the sheets..if you know whaty I mean...either way..If this asshat thinks he is gonna screw me, maybe he should have just accepted my request to pull my bids and act as if it never happen. I hope this selle rknows I do not like to be screwed and I just want my games at a fair value that both of us can agree on. HIs shipping is his idea \ but when I win more than one....my idea of shipping is to combine the shipping and give me my games at no further cost to myself!!!

I agree, he should combine shipping. Make a nominal amout in the process not the screaming rape he is trying to give your wallet!

There are a few still out there that wont combine ship on small items. I run into it when buying repair parts. After getting burned.. when the auction doesnt say,I ask. Most do but there are some jerks out there.

Brilliant.

Wow, folks like you are what is wrong with ebay!

Did you ever take a business class or what? Say the cost of fuel goes up. the cost of that is passed on to the company receiving the items,who in turn passes it on to the customer. Capitalism,learn it,love it! Nobody just eats cost increases if they dont have to.Same thing on ebay.

The feedback system will be fixed when they set it back to the way it was. Ebay is chaging by the way, new changes to reign in buyers on the horizon. Sellers are making ebay do something about it!

Gas Prices..do they have to be passed on to the consumer?

Gas prices can be subsidized by the overall government, therefore remaining at a constant price steady with that of inflation allowing individuals to schedule gas billing accordingly.

What does that all say?

If the gas prices go back to Four dollars a gallon the government needs to step in and realize what the fuck they just did....!

What did they just do?

They just put the united states into a whirlwind cause they let the farmers take all the subsidies due to farming corn for ethanol....

What does all that mean?

Well if you ever took an econimics course in MacroEconomics and listened instead of texting your girlfriend to tell her how nice she looked last night when she was sitting next to her mother at dinner..you would realize that gas prices do not have to go towards that of the consumer....

Who is you?

No one in particular just a blunt statement to all those that want to take offense to it...

Was there any offense meant to be taken?

No offense to anyone who takes offense to any of this blurb!

Therefore...ebay does not have to allow the rising costs of sellers to go to the consumer either.

"Overall it really doesn't matter once the government steps in and heightens security on the purchasing of good via the internet and starts to stricken the taxation of said goods..."

Will ebay survive?

..no signs point to yes....!

I cant get a reply from this duschebag seller and he needs to just admit he is ripping me off!

• Like 1