IGNORED

8-Bit to 5200 Adapter?

Madaracs

I think that it would be far easier to do a software conversion for the different address map and controller input than fit an A8 into a plug in module for the cart slot.

I wonder if an emulator cart could be made. Though it seems a waste of time, really. And I didn't realize that the address map would be an issue.

Can't happen. If you had the code for the original 8 bit then you could port it pretty easily though. The registers are in different places. That, and assuming that there are no hardware specific issues, the 5200 is just an Atari 400 with maxed-out ram.

With some simple hardware modifications on A5200, you could map the GTIA so that it works at $C000 as well as $D000 and since ANTIC is already at $D400, putting a dual POKEY in 5200 so it's at $E800 and $D200 would solve most register location problems.

But A400 also has a PIA and RAM expansion cards.

But the 5200 is BIGGER, the carts are BIGGER. 80's test markets say bigger equals better value!

And I suppose you'll also remind us that there is absolutely no where to store your controllers on an XEGS. ;-) I love my 5200 but I just thought it would be cool to be able to plop in an 8-bit cart. I'll probably just pony up and get an XEGS or another 8-bit machine.