IGNORED

Atari 7800 vs. Atari Lynx

segasaturn

(I picked this forum for obvious reasons)

anyway,

I just got a $100 dollars from a recent yard sale, and I decided that I either want an atari 7800 or atari lynx.

But I can't decide :roll: so I was just wondering what would you pick?

Should I get an atari 7800 or an atari lynx?

7800: good/lots of arcade ports, can do great graphics, and is 2600 compatable

OR

Lynx: some arcade ports BUT not many, is right or left handed, and do (almost 3d) graphics, AND I can play Atari on the go!!:thumbsup:

Actually the Lynx has more games than the 7800 and more arcade ports. It can do 3D graphics, no sort of about it.

The Lynx is alot more powerful and has many wonderful original games that can't be found anywhere else and the best versions of most of its multi-format games. I would pick the Lynx as much as I love the 7800.

But at the end of the day it all comes down to whether you want a handheld or a console.

It is hard to tell you which one to choose. I have both and love them both.

The Lynx is indeed a very powerful system and does have an extensive game library with arcade ports and original games. If you want a portable Atari game system, this is the way to go.

The 7800 is also an excellent system but not as powerful as the Lynx. It has a good game library and it certainly is getting a lot of attention when it comes to homebrew games (even an expansion module is being developed to add more "power" to it). If you a console to play at home, you can't go wrong here.

So, the choice is yours depending on what you want. Either way, you can't go wrong. :)

Actually the Lynx has more games than the 7800 and more arcade ports. It can do 3D graphics, no sort of about it.

The Lynx is alot more powerful and has many wonderful original games that can't be found anywhere else and the best versions of most of its multi-format games. I would pick the Lynx as much as I love the 7800.

But at the end of the day it all comes down to whether you want a handheld or a console.

good point.....

Edited by segasaturn

If your asking me, it would be food fight, plain and simple.......

Sounds like you decided.

If the Lynx could be displayed on a big screen, I think the Lynx is the most awesome game machine Atari made. The games are amazing, and fun. It was great as a portable machine, but as a 16 bit console that would have been Atari's Turbo graphics to me.

7800 was good, plays those 2600 games, has some sparkly titles but well... the Lynx just rocks!

When it comes to the Lynx, Stunnrunner is just amazing, Rampart is fun, the Lynx networks more games than any other Atari game system (Warbirds and Double Dragon are ones I've tried that were fun), played hours of Rygar, and Battlezone was just addicting. There is a lot more but that is what comes to mind when I think of the Lynx.

I usually play my 7800 for early arcade titles (Robotron, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.) and my Lynx for later arcade titles (STUN Runner, Rampart, Xybots, Roadblasters, Rampage, etc.). That's the major distinction (game-wise) between the two systems, IMO.

The 7800 rocks in the homebrew scene (Pac-Man Collection, Jr. Pac-Man, Beef Drop, b*nQ, Space Invaders, again, early arcade titles) and the Lynx rocks by having great non-arcade titles (Warbirds, Chip's Challenge, California Games, etc.) plus some homebrew goodness.

To me there's no choice. You gotta get 'em both.

(Oh, and do not pick a system by choosing between two unrelated games. Food Fight and Kung Food have nothing in common, besides the word "food" in the title.)

(Oh, and do not pick a system by choosing between two unrelated games. Food Fight and Kung Food have nothing in common, besides the word "food" in the title.)

Yeah... it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Both systems are worth messing with, though I would go with the 7800 if I had to choose. STUN Runner isn't meant to be played on a palm-sized screen!

good point.....

Another point to consider is battery life. The lynx isn't exactly known for holding a long charge... (Although having rechargables might help a bit there...)

apples vs oranges. you really do need to own both. i'd make that a long-term goal.

Agreed! :D

If I had to choose, I would get the Atari 5200; it's bigger than both and has four ports and having four trackballs hooked up to those four ports with that plastic latch makes it like a security lock found on modern laptops.

You can look at it from different angles and you will see that Atari 5200 wins from most angles; you can't even see the picture from many angles on the Lynx.

• Like 1