IGNORED

Atari 7800 vs. Atari Lynx

segasaturn

Both the 7800 and the Lynx have very accurate emulators available.

Why not check both out via emulation, and see which appeals to you more?

That's the best solution - you can ask 100 people & get all kinds of answers, trying with emulation will let you see for yourself & give the only opinion that counts :)

Both are sexy

Both offered the latest tech (at that time)

Both have decent games

Answer

Get both

In saying that though, the original lynx was a little on the large side, somewhat like a woman with a bit of meat on her (not that that's a bad thing)

Seeming as though Atari managed to shrink the 2600jnr down from the orig. size of the vcs/2600, it surprizes me that Atari would make a console that was bigger (in size) then the 2600 jnr (namely the 7800), i am sure that Atari could have made the 7800 a similar size to the 2600 jnr

As for the person that suggested getting a hacked psp.....he want's an ATARI....not sony cack

Edited by carmel_andrews
  • Like 1

Lithium batteries also address this issue. They last significantly more than regular or alkaline batteries.

I hope lithium batteries are a lot cheaper down in the states than they are in Canada, or they give the lynx x10 the play time, otherwise it's just not worth it. :ponder:

I never got a Lynx and have no plans on buying one. Main reason is I download a couple of ROMs here and played them, except for 1 game Batman I did not like any other one period. The reason I say this ROMs and emulators is a good free way of test driving a system before you put down the cash for a real one.

apples vs oranges. you really do need to own both. i'd make that a long-term goal.

Agreed! :D

If I had to choose, I would get the Atari 5200; it's bigger than both and has four ports and having four trackballs hooked up to those four ports with that plastic latch makes it like a security lock found on modern laptops.

You can look at it from different angles and you will see that Atari 5200 wins from most angles; you can't even see the picture from many angles on the Lynx.

way ahead of you(I already own a 5200!!!)

apples vs oranges. you really do need to own both. i'd make that a long-term goal.

If I had to choose, I would get the Atari 5200; it's bigger than both and has four ports and having four trackballs hooked up to those four ports with that plastic latch makes it like a security lock found on modern laptops.

You can look at it from different angles and you will see that Atari 5200 wins from most angles; you can't even see the picture from many angles on the Lynx.

But you didn't connect it to 4 trackballs and have someone try to simulate stealing it and seeing him trip over the cords on the stairs.

But you didn't connect it to 4 trackballs and have someone try to simulate stealing it and seeing him trip over the cords on the stairs.

:lol:

Well, ZAKU is only available for the Lynx -- so it's an easy choice. ;)

Aside from that, I'd choose the Lynx anyway - you get games that were produced with more attention to detail, with better soundtracks, etc. There's some good, solid titles to be had on the Lynx.

Edited by Clean Larry
  • Like 1

Definitely check out both systems via emulation, but keep in mind that playing Lynx games via Handy is just not quite the same as playing them on a real Lynx. While that's true for just about any system, it's especially true for the Lynx given that it's a handheld. They're both great systems with a good selection of fun (and cheap) games.

It is a tie with both of these systems in my personal opinion. They are both great and I wouldn't be able to decide one over another. I ended up with a 7800 first...only because it came out before the Lynx ;) I would say to try to get them both if possible. You can always find a 7800 and a Lynx with a small amount of games each (or maybe even one game each) for a whole lot cheaper than one of the systems with a slew of games. Games can come later. Just get the systems first and then you will have two systems to collect for! Double the fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Do you want Raiden or Xevious?

STUN Runner or BallBlazer?

That's as far as we can get, playing fair. Watch out, it's about to get brutal...

Scrapyard Dog, Asteroids, Xenophobe, and Rampage on the Lynx destroy their 7800 counterparts. Each of these games also features exclusive features for the Lynx that can't be found in any other port.

The Lynx simply has more games than the 7800.

Check out this under appreciated channel on youtube to see how many more -

http://www.youtube.com/user/AtariLynxChannel#p/u

Last reason to choose a Lynx - while every 7800 game can be played through emulation, not every Lynx game can. If you aren't holding an actual, physical Lynx in your hands, you're missing out.

Because of their screens, one day, there won't be any left. Get one now, while you still can...

With the 7800, you get 2600 compatibility, which means more games than the Lynx. With that said, the lynx does have better games and portability. I think I would go with both if you can get them. Ebay routinely has 7800s with games for under $50. As for the Lynx, you can get them with games for under $50 also. Go for both!

Edited by Cliff Friedel