IGNORED

Fallout 3 or Infamous? I just finished Red Dead Redemption

20 members have voted

1. 1. Fallout 3 or Infamous?

• Fallout 3
    • Infamous

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I just finished Read Dead Redemption and want to play another sprawling adventure that's like it. Having said that, I prefer playing good guys to villains so GTA IV really doesn't appeal at all.

Fallout 3 and Infamous both look appealing but for totally different reasons and I want to ask the advice of anyone else who enjoyed Read Dead Redemption which game they would recommend.

I enjoyed being out in the vast wilderness in Red Dead so as a result Fallout 3 sounds like it might be a better setting than Infamous since you really just run around one city in Infamous. Then again, I have heard you can't just wander anywhere in Fallout 3, you eventually hit the edge of the play area and need to use the subway to go to another play area, is that right?

In Red Dead my (real life) wife would watch on the couch while I travelled around and she enjoyed the fetch quests, recommending places to look, etc. I believe both Fallout 3 and Infamous have tons of fetch quests, is that right? Is one game more "questy" than the other?

Finally, I should point out that my thumbstick skills are not impressive. Many times during a shootout in Red Dead I would accidentally circle a rock I was covering behind or crouch when I meant to jump. I can't do first-person shooters on the PS3 controller at all. So, the combat of Infamous might be a little tricky for me compared to the combat of Fallout 3 from what I hear, is that true?

So far I am leaning toward Fallout 3 despite people saying it is slow and all the drab grey imagery being depressing, however I have heard a ton of excellent reviews and comments about Infamous and if I play the good-guy version I'm sure it would appeal as well.

I will probably end up getting both games eventually but I know it will take me months to get through either of them so I want to settle on one for now.

I am playing though Red Dead now and it's a great game. I haven't heard of Infamous but I can definitely recommend Fallout 3! I had it for the PS3 and enjoyed it so much I bought a copy for the PC so I could enjoy the many wonderful mods that people can make for the game.

Here's the skinny on Fallout 3:

There is a main quest that can be followed straight through or you can take a break from it and do sidequests (some of which are pretty cool as well)

You can go anywhere you want whenever you want and the map is fairly big although not quite as large as Oblivion and the only transportation in game is the "shoe leather" express although you can fast travel to places you have already been, the subways are long disabled but the tunnels will get you access to different parts of the Metro DC area and in a few other select cities on the map.

There are two radio stations to listen to, Galaxy News Radio where the host Three Dog gives news reports that update as you complete certain key quests :thumbsup: and he plays an awesome mix of 40's music! the other station is the President giving patriotic speeches and such.

There are a few very cool places like Oasis,Minefield and Andale that add a little offbeat flavor to the game.

You can get companions to join you depending on your alignment Good,Neutral or Evil and they can be very entertaining to have along.

I would suggest getting the Game of the Year edition because it has the add-ons and they are quite good too with my favorites being Mothership Zeta and Point Lookout.

Have you ever considered Borderlands?

Borderlands is definitely a contender (as well as the upcoming Rage assuming they make it for the PS3) but Fallout 3 appears to be The Big Daddy of the genre so that's the one I think I'd like most. Besides, as mentioned, my shooter skills with thumbsticks leave much to be desired and Borderlands (and Rage) seems to be more action oriented than adventure. Maybe I'm wrong.

Feel free to sell me on Borderlands just as kroogur is selling me on Fallout 3

Have you ever considered Borderlands?

Borderlands is definitely a contender (as well as the upcoming Rage assuming they make it for the PS3) but Fallout 3 appears to be The Big Daddy of the genre so that's the one I think I'd like most. Besides, as mentioned, my shooter skills with thumbsticks leave much to be desired and Borderlands (and Rage) seems to be more action oriented than adventure. Maybe I'm wrong.

Feel free to sell me on Borderlands just as kroogur is selling me on Fallout 3

Borderlands starting out is brutally hard, but you get better over time. Fallout 3 may be your best bet if you want something easier and less chaotic. I played Borderlands split screen and it's still hard but very fun. Whenever you get better with shooters down the road it is worth picking up. Until then I would suggest Fallout 3 GOTY. That should hold you over until New Vegas comes out.

There are two radio stations to listen to, Galaxy News Radio where the host Three Dog gives news reports that update as you complete certain key quests :thumbsup: and he plays an awesome mix of 40's music! the other station is the President giving patriotic speeches and such.

Its been a few months since I played Fallout, but I remember running across a 3rd radio station where the music was entirely some woman playing the violin. Not sure if this station was in the original game or from one of the DLC's (I have the GOTY edition) but there is a 3rd station.

Three Dog is cool and the music added something to the game for me. But I also liked hearing his reports on my adventures and how evil or good I was.

To the OP, if you have your PS3 connected to PSN, then try downloading the demo of inFamous as it will give you a good taste of what the game is. I played and enjoyed inFamous but would vote for Fallout 3 without hesitation.

And, if your thumbs aren't built for FPS's on the PS3 controller, then I suggest staying away from Borderlands. Its a great game with a lot of exploring, but fighting the Rage Roid or Badass Skag's or Sledge or (shudder) Crewermax could drive you to controller throwing.

Mendon

• Like 1

I've found Fallout3 to be better than pretty much any other game ever. That's not hyperbole either, it's just such a complete experience. The only strike against it is that it can be a bit crashy, but that's par for the course in open world games.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found Fallout3 to be better than pretty much any other game ever. That's not hyperbole either, it's just such a complete experience. The only strike against it is that it can be a bit crashy, but that's par for the course in open world games.

I don't know if it's my favorite game ever but is definitely near the top of the list of my favorites...

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 3. Fallout 3. Fallout 3. Seriously. 3 tines a madie.

It's play some good recent forgettable title, or play the epic RPG adventure universe. Of course, it has flaws. But they are mostly cosmetic. I went back to Fallout 3 for achievements, I'm at maybe 180 hours into it. I never play games twice. And I'm finding things I never saw before. Can't recommend it enough.

I do like Borderlands too, but it's not a deep experience. Just shoot everything, no real story, just jobs. Not to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as Fallout, but it's maybe 40 or 50 hours versus 150 hours of FO3.

Can't lose choosing between BL and FO3.

I've played fallout 3 consistently since it's release 2 years ago, and always seem to find new things. One of the best game made in the past ten years, hands down. Infamous is fun, but it doesn't suck you in nearly as much as Fallout 3 does. Give it a play too, but only after Fallout :)

• Like 1