IGNORED

Resurrecting a joystick superstar

Oscar Sheila

Hi everyone. I' new to the forum. Legendary Atari game fan!

So anyway, I have been using the Steem emulator for a ages now which is great. But some games are of course never good played on the keyboard. I'm thinking the likes of R-Type. I don't own a desktop joystick, and I have never really liked them. My ALL TIME favourite joystick was the EPYX 500 XJ. It was THE BOMB!!! Unfortunately the port that it used to go into died before the joystick did. This was in the old Atari ST of course which is long gone.

Here's a pic for those that are not sure what I mean...

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/cont/epyx.jpg

So. My question is. Is it at all possible to use this device on a normal everyday computer with a USB port. Can I get away with it using this?...

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/usb_to_serial_black.jpg

I'll be so happy if it is possible

*crossing fingers*

Thanks for any help

Edited by Oscar Sheila

Ooooo, thanks for the quick reply.

So then as well as that adaptor, I'd need a B plug to usb adater right? I'm assuming that the joystick will then work in a plug and play capacity?

I have a joystick that I want to buy, its on EBay, and says that it is for parts or not working, so I acknowledge that I am taking a risk in buying that alone. But surely it can be fixed?

The joystick will look to the computer like a regular USB joystick when you use it with the Stelladaptor. The B-to-A USB cable you'll need is a very common cable; you shouldn't have trouble finding it at retail in Wal-Mart or any local electronics store.

I wouldn't buy a broken joystick, if it's going to be your only one; there are plenty of tested and working ones out there, and you can probably get them for only a little more money. You might want to make a post in the "Wanted" section of the Marketplace forum; I'm sure somebody here has a spare that they can sell you. I might even have one myself.