IGNORED

5200 acting weird

doyman

Just plugged my 5200 in to play some Sinistar (great game) and to test a new Wico keypad I got from ebay, and started to notice something weird on some other games. On Berzerk, Galaxian, and Space Invaders as soon as the game would start my "guy" would be killed. I could not move, or shoot or anything, just BOOM!

I have the 8bit domain mod for RCA connection, no S video. But I was connecting via the good ol' auto RF switchbox. I'm wondering if that is the issue, because I've never tested it on RF/Composite after the mod.

any thoughts?

Dave

Just plugged my 5200 in to play some Sinistar (great game) and to test a new Wico keypad I got from ebay, and started to notice something weird on some other games. On Berzerk, Galaxian, and Space Invaders as soon as the game would start my "guy" would be killed. I could not move, or shoot or anything, just BOOM!

I have the 8bit domain mod for RCA connection, no S video. But I was connecting via the good ol' auto RF switchbox. I'm wondering if that is the issue, because I've never tested it on RF/Composite after the mod.

any thoughts?

Dave

are the games acting differently than they would without the controller installed

or is it just unresponsiveness

cause cords can get breaks inside often at the plug or strain relief end check it for bumps

i dont know what your expertise is i would open it up and with an ohm meter set to tones would check each wire to make sure that none are broken

my wico y cable has a break in it and its on pin 4 which really sucks cause that means i cant press start

any thoughts?

Dave

are the games acting differently than they would without the controller installed

cause cords can get breaks inside often at the plug or strain relief end check it for bumps

i dont know what your expertise is i would open it up and with an ohm meter set to tones would check each wire to make sure that none are broken

my wico y cable has a break in it and its on pin 4 which really sucks cause that means i cant press start

Ok here is a video of Berzerk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJiZ_AZZIw I have now noticed that when I play dig dug or Jr. Pac Man there are 'ghost'

images of the characters that float and flicker on and off at regular intervals, and if one of those 'ghosts' gets hit or whatever it affects the game in the same way as it would if it were the real character. e.g. on Jr. Pac Man if a monster touches the ghost image of Pac Man you loose a life. I think this is causing the behavior on berzerk because if the man was a few inches to the left when the game starts he be standing in a wall and that would kill him. I'll post another vid of the ghost images, but I think this is my problem.

I have tried multiple controllers and tv/monitors, and this has not helped. I guessing a chip is bad or this is happening because of the mod. I appeal again to anyone who has some insight, I've had this machine since 1996 and its my favorite classic so I'd hate to loose it.

thanks in advance,

Dave

any thoughts?

Dave

Ok here is a video of Berzerk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJiZ_AZZIw I have now noticed that when I play dig dug or Jr. Pac Man there are 'ghost'

images of the characters that float and flicker on and off at regular intervals, and if one of those 'ghosts' gets hit or whatever it affects the game in the same way as it would if it were the real character. e.g. on Jr. Pac Man if a monster touches the ghost image of Pac Man you loose a life. I think this is causing the behavior on berzerk because if the man was a few inches to the left when the game starts he be standing in a wall and that would kill him. I'll post another vid of the ghost images, but I think this is my problem.

I have tried multiple controllers and tv/monitors, and this has not helped. I guessing a chip is bad or this is happening because of the mod. I appeal again to anyone who has some insight, I've had this machine since 1996 and its my favorite classic so I'd hate to loose it.

thanks in advance,

Dave

video of Dig Dug where you can see the ghost image to the left of Dig Dug, and it getting hit and killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GvT6MjhjhI

any thoughts?

Dave

thanks in advance,

Dave

video of Dig Dug where you can see the ghost image to the left of Dig Dug, and it getting hit and killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GvT6MjhjhI

GTIA chip is my guess as the sprites being doubled/ghosted would be GTIA job.

Ok, after replacing 2 RAM chips, GTIA, ANTIC, and CPU the issue was still occurring, I then realized that I should do now what I should have done to begin with, and that is remove the 8bitdomain video mod. And guess what? The issue is gone. I'm happy its gone, but I was really happy with the quality of video that mod gave me. So now I'm torn. I don't see that Longhorn Engineer does a 5200 mod so I guess I'm stuck.

Thanks to those that replied and thanks to Brad at Best Electronics!

Pretty much stinks that you paid 8bitdomain for a mod that is faulty. The ghost images in your videos are pretty annoying and distracting to say the least. Guess I will look elsewhere if interested in 5200 mods...

You can't buy from him anyway, his shitty service and product drove him out of business. Someone apparently bought out his inventory and was selling it on Ebay, but you're taking the same risk with the product, and the (new) guys is a douchebag as well.

The lesson here is... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :P

Like Dr. McCoy said, "I know engineers, they love to change things".

Did you get your 8 bit domain mod fixed?

I have one of those mod boards if you need one. Its one of the 1st versions of the mod and it had a problem with the color intensity or something. There was an easy fix for it, but it only showed a problem in ballblazers i think. I forget if i did the fix or not. It was years ago and there is a very old thread here about it if you search...

Anyway, I'll let it go cheap as I have another in my 2 port. Let me know, PM.

*edit* here is the thread

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/41257-5200-video-mod-problem/page__view__findpost__p__504479

Edited by Chazbeenhad

Pretty much stinks that you paid 8bitdomain for a mod that is faulty. The ghost images in your videos are pretty annoying and distracting to say the least. Guess I will look elsewhere if interested in 5200 mods...

You can't buy from him anyway, his shitty service and product drove him out of business. Someone apparently bought out his inventory and was selling it on Ebay, but you're taking the same risk with the product, and the (new) guys is a douchebag as well.

Actually it's Mike himself who has been selling them on eBay.

Allan

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll jump on the longhorn engineer bandwagon.

The lesson here is... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :P

Like Dr. McCoy said, "I know engineers, they love to change things".

Did you get your 8 bit domain mod fixed?

I have one of those mod boards if you need one. Its one of the 1st versions of the mod and it had a problem with the color intensity or something. There was an easy fix for it, but it only showed a problem in ballblazers i think. I forget if i did the fix or not. It was years ago and there is a very old thread here about it if you search...

Anyway, I'll let it go cheap as I have another in my 2 port. Let me know, PM.

*edit* here is the thread

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/41257-5200-video-mod-problem/page__view__findpost__p__504479

Allan

Mike? Is that the guy who originally owned 8bit domain? That would be interesting to hear because (not to doubt you) but a pretty respectable source said the original owner sold his stock off and everything is now owned by a completely different guy.

Allan

Mike? Is that the guy who originally owned 8bit domain? That would be interesting to hear because (not to doubt you) but a pretty respectable source said the original owner sold his stock off and everything is now owned by a completely different guy.

How dare you doubt me!! (just joking) :)

I bought another 5200 from the ebay auctions and the person I paid on Paypal was Mike Mallory. Now maybe Mike Mallory sold it to another Mike Mallory but I doubt it.

Allan

Allan

How dare you doubt me!! (just joking) :)

I bought another 5200 from the ebay auctions and the person I paid on Paypal was Mike Mallory. Now maybe Mike Mallory sold it to another Mike Mallory but I doubt it.

Allan

Is the seller comexpress_346 by chance?