Zwackery

So I'm selling some in need of repair CV stuff on eBay. My auction text states:

With this auction you get:

• Colecovision console
  • five (5) Colecovision controllers
  • Sector Alpha cartridge
  • Evolution cartridge
  • The Heist cartridge

I pulled the console out of the basement where it has been for the past 23 years. It has serious problems and needs repair. It will power up, but the graphics are garbled. Each of the controllers has some sort of problem and they all need repair. The Sector Alpha cart boots fine, but then locks up after the first screen. Evolution does not work. The Heist does work, however, so at least that's something.

Again, these items are in serious need of repair. Do not buy if you do not know how to repair this equipment. No returns, no refunds. You have been warned. These were on my workbench, but I no longer have the time to work on them.

So cervesa010 asks: How did you hook it up without any cables?

I respond: Since the system ***needs to be repaired*** I am expecting whoever is repairing it to have enough technical know-how spare parts to supply an RF cable (which is something that can easily be purchased for as little as 99 cents on the internet).

So cervesa010 asks: How can you tell if the games work without a power supply?

I respond: I own ***another*** Colecovision - the one I play my games on - so I tested the games using my working Colecovision and its working power supply. It is not uncommon for game collectors to own multiple consoles, especially of older ones that are no longer in production.

So cervesa010 asks: Or you just bought them in a lot and are trying to recoup some cash on the garbage that is left over?

I respond: I've owned this Colecovision for over 20 years. Since the late 1980s it sat in my parents' basement. The controllers are from various other Colecovision systems I've had over the years. As a video game collector, one tends to be a packrat. The games are from various finds in thrift stores over the last year or two. I have clearly stated that the items need to be repaired, and I don't have the time due to work commitments. Now, from the nature of your questions, it's clear that you have no interest in this auction, so feel free to move on.

I haven't eBayed anything in awhile, and now I'm remembering why.

wow I had to look back at my feedback to see if it was the same clown. nope. platapusscards kinda did the same thing to me? But he waited until after he received the atari system to make a stink about missing power supply. I sold it as system only. Tested and works great just didn't have any of the spare parts. Once he received the system he asked how could I've of known this works without the power supply and everything else. I said I have tons of systems in my personal collection just no extras. I asked him it works right? He said yes it works then reported me to Ebay kept the system and got his money back no question asked? I called Ebay and got everything fixed!!!

It sounds like you got a head start on blocking him!!!!

I'm hungry... If I win this lot will you toss in a cheese burger? Maybe a hot pocket cheese burger? By the time it gets to my place it should be thawed and ready to eat! Thanks!!

I will eat the cheeseburger first and include it within the adult diaper, free of charge.

I posted some of my nes stuff for sale....Rarer titles since they fetch a ton on ebay now a days and I started an auction at $99.99 for one game that shoudl get double that.

I got this email from a guy:

Q: can i buy this now for 75.00...let me know i can pay you right away...thanks!!!!

The auction is already around double that

so I wrote

A: this is gonna be an auction only....sorry...good luck as this item should be bid on in all fairness...

Why the low ball offers on an auction that does not state buy it now or offers?

I posted some of my nes stuff for sale....Rarer titles since they fetch a ton on ebay now a days and I started an auction at $99.99 for one game that shoudl get double that.

I got this email from a guy:

Q: can i buy this now for 75.00...let me know i can pay you right away...thanks!!!!

The auction is already around double that

so I wrote

A: this is gonna be an auction only....sorry...good luck as this item should be bid on in all fairness...

Why the low ball offers on an auction that does not state buy it now or offers?

I see this alot. Some people thrive on side-deals.

I see this alot. Some people thrive on side-deals.

Yep, as a buyer it doesn't really hurt to write sellers and make an offer. The worst they can do is say "No". However, if an item already has bids, especially if the high bid is greater than what you're going to offer, it's quite pointless to do this. I've done this for numerous items, although generally not with classic gaming items. Soemtimes it works, most often it doesn't.

..Al

As dumb as they may be, he only asked you some questions. Would you rather he had held off until he had won the auction? :ponder:

That is a valid point, but a few things that jumped out at me about his questions, one of which is not replicated in my listing of them: how rapidly he fired them off in response to my responses. That, the tenor of the questions, and calling the stuff garbage - it's eBay after all, where one man's trash is another man's treasure - bothered me. Oh yeah, and I answered another question previously on the same auction - and posted it - about the lack of cables and power supply.

As dumb as they may be, he only asked you some questions. Would you rather he had held off until he had won the auction? :ponder:

That is a valid point, but a few things that jumped out at me about his questions, one of which is not replicated in my listing of them: how rapidly he fired them off in response to my responses. That, the tenor of the questions, and calling the stuff garbage - it's eBay after all, where one man's trash is another man's treasure - bothered me. Oh yeah, and I answered another question previously on the same auction - and posted it - about the lack of cables and power supply.

I don't feel that one can ask too many questions as a buyer, so I don't really fault folks for asking them, even if they are dumb. It's better to be safe than sorry, after all.

Nevertheless, I just took a look at your auction, and it really doesn't get anymore cut and dry than your description/policies. It's perfectly clear what you're getting with that auction, so yeah, even giving this person the benefit of the doubt, I don't begrudge your feeling badgered by that line of questioning.

one of my favorites was an auction for the box/instructions/packing of an item (a common game for the C64), it was everything but the cart itself. evidently an impotent(ial) buyer asked if they guy would just ship the cart and throw out the box etc, as he didnt need them...

the seller responded, that yes he could throw it out the point of the auction, and send empty air...

wish i had save an SS of this...

sloopy.