IGNORED

Jaguar Controller Mod

GregadetH

After playing AVP for 3 days and hating every minute of it from a controller standpoint, I decided to replace the god awful stock d-pad with a raised one, hoping to improve upon the sluggish movement. Most aftermarket Sega Genesis controllers have a suitable d-pad with a large, circular inner edge that can be used to replace your stock d-pad. However, you'll notice that it doesn't just outright fit into place. that's because you must trim notches into the "new" d-pad at the same points where they are located on the "old" stock d-pad. Make sure you trim these notches as close to the size of the ones on the old Jag d-pad as best you can for a snug fit. Trim too much and your d-pad will be loose causing you to turn left or right every time you move backward or forward. I remedied this as well by hot gluing my overly trimmed notches and cutting down the dry glue until it fit snugly. When you're done pop in AVP or Tempest 2000 and enjoy a more responsive d-pad on your standard Jaguar controller.

post-25671-128312918153_thumb.jpg

post-25671-128312918816_thumb.jpg

post-25671-128312954035_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregadetH
  • Like 1

Nice, I've thought about drilling the middle of the pad out and putting a nub in there to make it a "stick" (think the 7800pro pads)

That's a cool Idea though, reminds me of the offbrand PSX controllers from the 90's.

Thanks! A thumb stick on the d-pad is a great idea. The only ones I have are hot glued to my pro controllers though. :lol:

Nice, I've thought about drilling the middle of the pad out and putting a nub in there to make it a "stick" (think the 7800pro pads)

That's a cool Idea though, reminds me of the offbrand PSX controllers from the 90's.

I've been debating to do that with a PS3 analog stick, but I can't find a tutorial to open the controller. I only have one Jaguar controller and really noticed my thumb getting sore from playing AVP yesterday.

• 2 years later...

Given how Jaguar Pro controllers are stupidly expensive, and standard ones are not, how difficult would it be to mod a controller to include L and R shoulder buttons/triggers wired to the 7 & 9 keys, or possibly even including the extra XYZ buttons?

The other thing I think would benefit, would be a micro-switched thumbstick similar to those you find on a Neo Geo, rather than the fairly horrible D pad. That would be kinda awesome.

Edited by Zygma_Experiment

On the electronics side it would be dead easy, since all of the extra buttons of the Pro Controller are just wired in parallel with existing keypad keys.

But the mechanical aspects would be more painful. You'd have to build custom parts, and cut the plastic carefully.