IGNORED

Finally, Bounty Bob is mine!

eightbit

It is on the way to me as I type...after years of trying to obtain this cart. It also serves as the final missing piece to my collection, finally completing it! Loose cart collection for the most part (and so is BBSB) but I am perfectly cozy with that.

I am just glad the mission has *finally* been accomplished!

It is on the way to me as I type...after years of trying to obtain this cart. It also serves as the final missing piece to my collection, finally completing it! Loose cart collection for the most part (and so is BBSB) but I am perfectly cozy with that.

Congrats. Its a fantastic game. :)

I had it for years on the 8-bit, but the 5200 cart has always eluded me. I have been requesting it for quite some time (and recently here) with all sorts of offers and whatnot....which generated zero responses. I guess these are locked down in collections nowadays for the most part. When I saw it on ebay, I either missed it completely or didn't have the funds to get it at that moment in time. Well, I finally found it and paid $325 for it. It wasn't too bad tho, since I sold off some of the recent Atari 2600 score I found to get it....and that basically made it free ;) Now I am on to the prototypes and homebrew 5200 stuff!

BBSB is probably the most valued thing in my collection, made better by the fact I found it in the wild.

Congrats on the complete collection--I remember the last cart I needed was Zenji of all things and looked everywhere for it at the right price and was very happy when it finally arrived. Good luck with some of the homebrews--they are a wicked pain to find!

That's exciting! I remember Quest for Quintana Roo was the last one I needed and I was ecstatic when it finally arrived.

BBSB has to be one of the all-time greatest playable games among those few that are really hard to find.

The A8 version (in the US anyway) is about as rare as the 5200 version.

I got a copy from Rick Weis, which is why I haven't bothered tracking down the 5200 version.

Great game. One of the few rare games that's worth the money spent. Years of entertainment there.

Perhaps someone has the proto version of BBSB...which was called 'scaper/scraper Caper' if i recall correctly, I think i saw some atari retailers advertising it in some old American atari mags (either antic or analog), they even had a facsimile of the proposed artwork to suppliment the ad (if i recall correctly)

There's a whole thing on Scraper Caper on the Big Five website. I doubt the code went outside of the small Big Five team. I recently spoke with Bill Hogue actually and asked a few questions regarding a few of Big Five's previous games. He was pretty amused at how much BBSB goes for nowadays, and actually wishes he kept a few around himself ;)

As for the A8 version, it is a great version as well of course. Now that I have the 5200 version (arrived today!) I can see areas where it is slightly different...and it is definitely a little easier.

I had four copies of the A8 cart a few years ago, but sold them off. I found two in ebay lots, one in the wild, and don't exactly remember where I found the last one. There was also one sitting on ebay (along with Miner) with a BIN for $120 for a few weeks. It wasn't until the seller lowered it to $99 that it sold.

It is definitely uncommon for the A8, but I wouldn't go nearly as far as calling it as rare as the 5200 version. If I were to call an A8 game as being as rare, it would have to be Flip and Flop for the A8.

Heh, actually, here's another A8 cart listed...not sure what the BIN price was tho:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506920031431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250692003143&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And a boxed complete one (although I think the starting bid is kind of rediculous):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206172755001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120617275500&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

There's a whole thing on Scraper Caper on the Big Five website. I doubt the code went outside of the small Big Five team. I recently spoke with Bill Hogue actually and asked a few questions regarding a few of Big Five's previous games. He was pretty amused at how much BBSB goes for nowadays, and actually wishes he kept a few around himself ;)

As for the A8 version, it is a great version as well of course. Now that I have the 5200 version (arrived today!) I can see areas where it is slightly different...and it is definitely a little easier.

I had four copies of the A8 cart a few years ago, but sold them off. I found two in ebay lots, one in the wild, and don't exactly remember where I found the last one. There was also one sitting on ebay (along with Miner) with a BIN for $120 for a few weeks. It wasn't until the seller lowered it to $99 that it sold.

It is definitely uncommon for the A8, but I wouldn't go nearly as far as calling it as rare as the 5200 version. If I were to call an A8 game as being as rare, it would have to be Flip and Flop for the A8.

Heh, actually, here's another A8 cart listed...not sure what the BIN price was tho:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506920031431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250692003143&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And a boxed complete one (although I think the starting bid is kind of rediculous):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206172755001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120617275500&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yeah, I remember that $99 one for the duo-Miner stuff and I would say that's still high for A8 version. Someone sold me a BBSB that was programmed on a flash cart, but I don't think that works for A5200 for their flash cart so maybe one reason A5200 is much higher price.

Yeah, I remember that $99 one for the duo-Miner stuff and I would say that's still high for A8 version. Someone sold me a BBSB that was programmed on a flash cart, but I don't think that works for A5200 for their flash cart so maybe one reason A5200 is much higher price.

There have been some multi-carts for the 5200 that are said to handle the bank switching for BBSB and include it on the cart, but I have yet to personally see one of those, so that may just contribute to it.

I have seen the A8 version more times than I can shake a stick in the past few years, so production must have been pretty high on the cart...well at least much higher than the 5200 version. I asked Bill Hogue if he recalls 5200 production numbers, but unfortunately he does not.

Still, if you can't find/want the 5200 version, the A8 version is equally fantastic regardless of rarity. This is one of the very few cases in which a rare game is actually one of the best games ever created!

I bought a BBSB Flash Cart for the A5200 off of eBay for $80 about 4 years ago...the guy put 10 of them on eBay and was taken down the same day...he still sold it to me...works fine.

Cool! If you can post any pics of the cart and onscreen menu I would be interested to finally see it!

I bought a BBSB Flash Cart for the A5200 off of eBay for $80 about 4 years ago...the guy put 10 of them on eBay and was taken down the same day...he still sold it to me...works fine.

Actually, I bought a few of the Miner 2049er carts but couldn't get that one. I see the binary up there on Atarimania for Miner but not for BBSB. I highly doubt this thing sold for more than $50 back in the 1980s but now it has become a rarity.

• 3 weeks later...

It retailed for $49.99, but it being released in 1985 did not help sales at all ;)

Congratulations eightbit, on your new find! I acquired my prized copy of Bounty Bob a while back for about the same amount you did (but also with the huge fold-up poster :D )

I can't believe this cart cost $50 back in 1985. That might be the highest price charged for a 5200 cart back then(I remember Space Dungeon at Lionel's Play World for $29.99),..and during possibly the lowest point for console game sales? It would be equiv. to a $100.00 price tag if sold in stores today! Add in the rarity factor, plus demand, and it's not too hard see it reaching the $300+ mark now.

I've always wondered how many of these 5200 carts were made and sold by Big Five, and of those, how many still survive? There has to be some orig. sales figures/manuf. data somewhere. BBSB is given a rarity of "8" here at AtariAge. In terms of numbers, what does that even mean? It would be neat to start a registry thread in the 5200 forum to catalog ownwership of this coveted cartridge. Judging by this thread, there's at least a half dozen of us so far...