IGNORED

Got my 5200 controller adapter

tz101

I received my PC controller cord this week from Bohoki.

Mixed results: Two analog sticks from the 80's don't have good directional control, especially with non-Atari releases like Frogger and Popeye. Atari releases like Ms. Pac Man and Vanguard have excellent results with digital pads, including a Logitech Wingman that Bohoki told me probably would not work at all. Space Invaders only allowed left movement, but not right. Missile Command was crazy-fast on cursor movement using digital pads.

Definitely looks like hit and miss with this adapter, but I am thankful to Bohoki, and will get some more controllers to try as I find them at thrifts around my area.

Maybe I will end up publishing a matrix of PC controllers and how they work or do not work with various 5200 games.

Mixed results: Two analog sticks from the 80's don't have good directional control, especially with non-Atari releases like Frogger and Popeye. Atari releases like Ms. Pac Man and Vanguard have excellent results with digital pads, including a Logitech Wingman that Bohoki told me probably would not work at all. Space Invaders only allowed left movement, but not right. Missile Command was crazy-fast on cursor movement using digital pads.

Definitely looks like hit and miss with this adapter, but I am thankful to Bohoki, and will get some more controllers to try as I find them at thrifts around my area.

Maybe I will end up publishing a matrix of PC controllers and how they work or do not work with various 5200 games.

glad you like oh you have the logitech wingman yea that works fine its the logitech wingman extreme that doesnt work

ive gone through so many joysticks i loose track of exact names

i just got a mouse systems flight stick today and it works fine too

the space invaders situation doesnt make sense thought you should be able to go left and right with a gamepad like i said verify every controller with missile command to make sure its rest position is near the center

welcome to the club i've sent about 40 of those to various people across america i kind of wish i wrote an email address on the cord or something

but my signature is the blue wire and solder iron sealed shieldless plug end oh and the start button

i just got gorf a couple days ago and wow that is so rough its not so much the enemy kills me i kill myself ramming into them accidentally

the analog only games are superbreakout,kaboom,starwars,gorf,missile command

pole position ,galaxian,choplifter work better with analog but are playable with a dpad

some games just act bizzare popeye,gyruss,montezumas rev sometimes wont go right or down right but other times they work

sometimes i think my system is haunted

vanguard acts weird sometimes as well it will just constantly crash into the ceiling but then after dying a bunch waggling the stick it then works normal

i'm glad it arrived safe my start button is kinda fragile and really hangs out there prominantly

also many 80s joysticks suffer from incurable jitter and were useless for use even for their intended purpose

also autofire on some sticks draws so much current that it causes a jitter (mainly on suncom joysticks)

Edited by bohoki

Many games have to be calibrated or "trained" for all directionals to work. When the particular game starts, move the joystick in a complete rotation once or twice. Most games I have to do this with I only need to do once. But others (like the prototype Xevious) I need to do it each time the round starts to gain control of the ship ;)

glad you like oh you have the logitech wingman yea that works fine its the logitech wingman extreme that doesnt work

ive gone through so many joysticks i loose track of exact names

i just got a mouse systems flight stick today and it works fine too

the space invaders situation doesnt make sense thought you should be able to go left and right with a gamepad like i said verify every controller with missile command to make sure its rest position is near the center

welcome to the club i've sent about 40 of those to various people across america i kind of wish i wrote an email address on the cord or something

but my signature is the blue wire and solder iron sealed shieldless plug end oh and the start button

i just got gorf a couple days ago and wow that is so rough its not so much the enemy kills me i kill myself ramming into them accidentally

the analog only games are superbreakout,kaboom,starwars,gorf,missile command

pole position ,galaxian,choplifter work better with analog but are playable with a dpad

some games just act bizzare popeye,gyruss,montezumas rev sometimes wont go right or down right but other times they work

sometimes i think my system is haunted

vanguard acts weird sometimes as well it will just constantly crash into the ceiling but then after dying a bunch waggling the stick it then works normal

i'm glad it arrived safe my start button is kinda fragile and really hangs out there prominantly

also many 80s joysticks suffer from incurable jitter and were useless for use even for their intended purpose

also autofire on some sticks draws so much current that it causes a jitter (mainly on suncom joysticks)

Qix also gives trouble with calibration. Gravis joystick is the best one I have found so far for PC joysticks and some of those also have jitter and bad pots like old Wicos.