IGNORED

Looking to buy a 5200, Have many questions

Dr Manhattan

Owned the 4 port 5200 since buying it brand new when it came out. Lucky mine works with the 2600 adaptor, something about a * in the model number i think. The Auto switch is the weak point all you have to do is make sure the power plug is the last thing connected. The controllers are lousy, ended up gluing small cut aluminun foil to the rubber buttons. Wicos with keypad are my primary 5200 controllers. Trakball is a must, a great controller for the bygone era of gameplay.

Now if we can get the Tempest cart, has anyone heard how much and when the full cart will be released?

atari-5200.jpg?w=500&h=400

Edited by CRTGAMER

Great thread, I'm in the same general boat as the OP.

Have many on here had much experience with the homebrews from Good Deal Games? They don't seem to have screenshots, reviews, etc on their site but their inventory list is impressive. Do the conversions from Atari XL work pretty much flawlessly? I'm very intrigued by a bunch of these (specifically Archon, Crystal Castles, Caverns of Mars, Demon Attack, Donkey Kong / Jr., Jawbreaker, Satan's Hollow, Spy Hunter and Tapper).

And back to the controller (ugh!), I really like the look and feel of the original controller and would rather not go Wico plus a number pad if possible, as that seems rather roundabout (though I'd consider it if the analog stick is really that difficult to use for lots of games). They're expensive, but if you get one of the ones from Best they ought to have a lifetime guarantee, right?

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys!

• Like 1

I've got a Satan's Hollow. I think I bought it from somebody here (maybe CPUWhiz?); I'm pretty sure I didn't get it from GDG, so I don't know for certain whether or not it is the same code.

My Satan's Hollow plays great, with one frustrating exception - it frequently freezes up completely. I'll be playing and suddenly the system just locks up. When that doesn't happen, the game is outstanding.

Hey everybody. Just a quick question. Does anyone know where I can get a detailed tutorial on how to build a 5200 Paddle Controller?

Using the search engine on this forum I found many, unfortunately most of them included photo instructions which were no longer posted online. :(

I also found someone who sells 5200 Paddle Controllers. I might be interested in buying one if the price was right. However, even if I buy one, I would still like to attempt making one myself.

I really don't have much experience in this area. I soddered 3 lousy points on a 2600 motherboard and now I think I can build stuff. lol. Even if I fail, it wont hurt to try. Worse case scenario is that someone here gets a bunch of extra junk controller parts in the mail.

(Best case scenario is that I'll actually pull it off and then start rocking some 5200 Kaboom until my neighbors complain to the cops.)

...damn so long winded. Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey everybody. Just a quick question. Does anyone know where I can get a detailed tutorial on how to build a 5200 Paddle Controller?

Using the search engine on this forum I found many, unfortunately most of them included photo instructions which were no longer posted online. :(

I also found someone who sells 5200 Paddle Controllers. I might be interested in buying one if the price was right. However, even if I buy one, I would still like to attempt making one myself.

I really don't have much experience in this area. I soddered 3 lousy points on a 2600 motherboard and now I think I can build stuff. lol. Even if I fail, it wont hurt to try. Worse case scenario is that someone here gets a bunch of extra junk controller parts in the mail.

(Best case scenario is that I'll actually pull it off and then start rocking some 5200 Kaboom until my neighbors complain to the cops.)

...damn so long winded. Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

There's some adapter that lets you hook up paddles for Atari 2600 to Atari 5200 so no soldering needed as far as I know. Search "Digital Joystick 5200" on Ebay or something similar to that.

• Like 1

There's some adapter that lets you hook up paddles for Atari 2600 to Atari 5200 so no soldering needed as far as I know. Search "Digital Joystick 5200" on Ebay or something similar to that.

There is (was) an adapter available here at AA that allowed you to use 2600 joysticks with the 5200, but not paddles. It was called the Redemption. It is currently out of production.

There is (was) an adapter available here at AA that allowed you to use 2600 joysticks with the 5200, but not paddles. It was called the Redemption. It is currently out of production.

Is this the item you are both talking about?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3205971312061?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320597131206&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You can build a paddle controller quite easily. You would just remove the 2 internal pots on the stock controller and hook up the 2 wires from the lower one to a 2600 style paddle assembly or mount a 2600 paddle pot inside the 5200 controller itself.

You can build a paddle controller quite easily. You would just remove the 2 internal pots on the stock controller and hook up the 2 wires from the lower one to a 2600 style paddle assembly or mount a 2600 paddle pot inside the 5200 controller itself.

yea it shouldn't be too hard even for a novice

you may need a couple washers to mount the paddle pot to the square hole

so basically you unscrew the controller , pop the start bezel unstick the start,p,r flex,

pull it apart

unsolder the 2 pots that are in there

remove them

put some tape on the 2 that are from the upper pot

hook the other 2 to the center and "previously unconnected) outer solder post of the paddle pot(since the 2600 uses high resistance for left and the 5200 uses low resistance for left

then the upper part of the stick you need to pull the joystick handle straight up (it is on there pretty good but keep pulling)

then drop out the metal rod and 2 slider plates

then pry out the boot retainer ring then drop the boot

place a washer on the pot place it in the square hole place another washer on the pot attach nut, tighten nut

re-assemble

slide on paddleknob

rock and roll

i would never do it since its only useful for like 4 games

and i like a stick

If you have a broken Wico, those bases make a nice paddle. Use the pot inside a 2600 paddle and make sure you use a washer under the nut to hold it to the body of the controller. Same for the stock controller. Also, the wires need to be reversed from how it was for the 2600. Otherwise left will be right. :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3205971312061?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320597131206&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That one will allow you to use the Paddles on Kaboom, Megamania, and few others. You still have to reverse one wire inside the Atari 2600 paddle from one terminal to another, but that's a 2 minute job and if you wrap around the wire around the terminal, you don't have to solder it. The other DB9 connector is for the Atari 2600 touchpad so you won't need the keypad either.

This one

redemption2600.jpg

so basically you unscrew the controller , pop the start bezel unstick the start,p,r flex,

pull it apart

remove them

hook the other 2 to the center and "previously unconnected) outer solder post of the paddle pot(since the 2600 uses high resistance for left and the 5200 uses low resistance for left

then the upper part of the stick you need to pull the joystick handle straight up (it is on there pretty good but keep pulling)

place a washer on the pot place it in the square hole place another washer on the pot attach nut, tighten nut

re-assemble

slide on paddleknob

rock and roll

and i like a stick

Typically, I use the pots from Sears video arcade II controllers. I just have the pot shaft stick up through the joystick boot. I usually use glue to mount them in place. Either way, the options are near endless.

pull it apart

remove them

re-assemble

slide on paddleknob

rock and roll

and i like a stick

Typically, I use the pots from Sears video arcade II controllers. I just have the pot shaft stick up through the joystick boot. I usually use glue to mount them in place. Either way, the options are near endless.

You still have to deal with the fire button(s). I would rather have that fire button the Atari 2600 paddle than the stock controller.

Well I've acquired the parts I need for my 5200 Paddle Controller. I will begin work today and report back with my results. Thanks for all your help.

Since we are on the topic of 5200 controllers, does anyone know a web site where I might purchase a 3rd party 5200 controller like the Wico or the Point Master? (Or anyone who still sells 5200 Redemption.) Basically, I'd love to hear some recommendations for any web site that sells vintage gaming items. (not just 5200, but that system is my current priority)

I would also entertain offers from my fellow Atari Age members if the price is right.

Thanks again for all your help. I can't tell you how many times I've come back to this extremely helpful topic. I even took notes.

I normally don't like to give out my sources until I know I have what I want from them first (LOL). Just kidding. Here are two of my favorite spots to go for Atari stuff. One I have dealt with for many years and he will take good care of you...but he has caught the flu recently so any email response from him might be a while. The other site I found by accident but I do enjoy his prices. Here are my two favorite sites...enjoy!

Collector's Cards and Games

Video 61 and Atari Sales

I'd actually like to find a 5200 developer's guide so I can attempt to create my own games for the system. And if you ever want to obtain a Jaguar or Lynx sometime, check this site out. Games are high but the base systems are new and reasonably priced.

Go Atari

It might not hurt to check out these other two sites. The first one I just recently found and the second one I stumbled across looking for a 2600 to purchase. Both seem to have really good prices that are easy on the pocketbook.

4 Jays Video Games

Atari 2600 "dot" Com

For parts, Best Electronics is the place to go. Parts are costly however depending on what the part is. And the website is the most difficult to get around and figure out, but there are some interesting Atari items there.

Best Electronics

I hope these links help.

Edited by kamakazi
  • Like 2

Owned the 4 port 5200 since buying it brand new when it came out. Lucky mine works with the 2600 adaptor, something about a * in the model number i think. The Auto switch is the weak point all you have to do is make sure the power plug is the last thing connected. The controllers are lousy, ended up gluing small cut aluminun foil to the rubber buttons. Wicos with keypad are my primary 5200 controllers. Trakball is a must, a great controller for the bygone era of gameplay.

Now if we can get the Tempest cart, has anyone heard how much and when the full cart will be released?

Yea, the 4 port models with a star (*) in the serial number are compatible with the VCS Adapter. Those without it are not. And I agree, a TrakBall controller is great for an arcade feel of the Centipede and Missile Command games. It also works with other games which I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. BTW, love the picture...it's bigger than an XBOX. Take THAT Microsoft!

• Like 2

As for the controllers, it depends on your budget. Both kits will rebuild the controllers to better than normal but the one with the gold contacts will be a LOT more expensive than the standard rebuild kit. The gold kit is supposed to last a lot longer, so might be worth it if you never want to worry about rebuilding the controllers again. With the price of gold rising, there is a surcharge based on the price of gold now for those kits so they will get more expensive over time.

If you were thinking of buying a bare console and then buying all the accessories later, it's probably not a good idea. It seems cheaper to pay $30 or $40 for the bare console, but by the time you factor in the cost of the switchbox, power supply, cables, controllers, and a few games it can easily exceed what you would have paid if you had just bough a complete setup with all those things included.

• Like 1

Yea, the 4 port models with a star (*) in the serial number are compatible with the VCS Adapter. Those without it are not. And I agree, a TrakBall controller is great for an arcade feel of the Centipede and Missile Command games. It also works with other games which I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. BTW, love the picture...it's bigger than an XBOX. Take THAT Microsoft!

How can that be? It was supposed to be their intent to release the 2600 adapter all along. Why would they make a model that it doesn't work with it? That would be suicide for them to release the 2600 adapter then have a large part of their customer base not be able to use it.

:? :twisted: :? :twisted:

Got my 5200, and am excited though I can't seem to get it to fire up - I am hoping I've just got a bad RF switch. RFU to Coaxial on the way in the mail from the AA store.

I've... not hooked up an old system this way for ages, so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I've got a CRT tv, I'm plugging in the RFU adapter, switched to game obviously, and the little pin coaxial looking thing to the cable-in / coaxial input on the TV. When I power it on (TV set to channel 3, have tried 4, no good), it goes from all static to a blank slightly red-orange screen, no static sound or visual. I've moved around the carts (got a couple of them), once in awhile I can get some yellow blocks to appear on screen on one of the carts...

Do I have a bum 5200, or is this likely an RFU adaptor issue?

:|

:? :twisted: :? :twisted:

Got my 5200, and am excited though I can't seem to get it to fire up - I am hoping I've just got a bad RF switch. RFU to Coaxial on the way in the mail from the AA store.

I've... not hooked up an old system this way for ages, so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I've got a CRT tv, I'm plugging in the RFU adapter, switched to game obviously, and the little pin coaxial looking thing to the cable-in / coaxial input on the TV. When I power it on (TV set to channel 3, have tried 4, no good), it goes from all static to a blank slightly red-orange screen, no static sound or visual. I've moved around the carts (got a couple of them), once in awhile I can get some yellow blocks to appear on screen on one of the carts...

Do I have a bum 5200, or is this likely an RFU adaptor issue?

:|

If the snow/static goes away when the system is turned on, it sounds like the 5200 to me.

Clean the cart contacts with some alcohol and a q-tip. For the Atari carts you will need to press the little clips in to get the edge protector to slide up and give you access to the contacts.