IGNORED

eBay sniping service?

yuppicide

About 90% of the time I will place my maximum bid with 5-10 seconds left... this usually beats most snipers.

That IS sniping.

Yup, sniping with a max.

I will reiterate for him.. that IS sniping. :P If you bid at the last second with something other than your max bid, then you don't know how to snipe. :P

And of course all the snipers come in a the last second, and the highest sniper wins. At the end of the day, it's all about the highest bid.

Oh, and I still use Auction Sentry. I bought it years ago and it still works. Runs locally on my pc.

Edited by NE146

For those who use sniping service:

1) Does it make you the least bit nervous to provide your Ebay username and password to a third party? Who is to say who will look at it there? Wouldn't Ebay consider this negligent on your part, if it were stolen and misused?

2) Is there any guarantee or protection that the sniping service is 100% reliable? However unlikely, what it it went to $1000 instead of $100 - just for the sake of argument. Would you have to pay, or would Ebay excuse this as a sniping service malfunction? What is Ebay's official stance on the use of sniping services?

3) Sometimes - when manually sniping - I have been screwed out of the deal by a net delay, or something, if I cut it too close. Seeing as how the sniping services' entire point is to "ride the redline" on time, do they have (or claim to have) a "superior" connection to Ebay servers, than the average joe? I would imagine so???

Thanks!

For those who use sniping service:

1) Does it make you the least bit nervous to provide your Ebay username and password to a third party? Who is to say who will look at it there? Wouldn't Ebay consider this negligent on your part, if it were stolen and misused?

Let me just speak for myself and say no.. because I don't give my username/password to anybody. The program runs on my computer which is on 24/7 anyway. Auction Sentry is a standalone app.

Note: I'm not pimping the app.. it's changed quite a bit over the years and I use an older version. But I just wanted to illustrate there are some alternatives to the 3rd parties.

Edited by NE146

I've been using a free sniping service for years, you'd have to be crazy not to at this point. I set what my max bid would be and then forget about it. That way, I'm not burdened with having to be next to a computer when an auction ends, having to worry about a slow browser, so my bid getting increased due to a perceived bidding war.

I've won games for nearly $3k this way (Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat proto), or a buck, either way it never fails.

I've won games for nearly $3k this way (Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat proto), or a buck, either way it never fails.

Well the process might never fails, but you can still lose auctions. All someone has to do is bid higher than you. :P

...But then again if you're willing to put in max's of 3 grand, maybe not.. :ponder:

Well the process might never fails, but you can still lose auctions. All someone has to do is bid higher than you. :P

...But then again if you're willing to put in max's of 3 grand, maybe not.. :ponder:

My max was WELL above the $2.7k that the auction ended at, apparently you don't know how much I like NES protos ;)

You can most certainly always lose, but if I set my max bid as my snipe and I lose, that just means it went for more than I was willing to pay for anyway. No use losing sleep over stuff like that.