IGNORED

Is Karateka Possible on the 5200?

mmbe

With all of the 8-bit to 5200 convertions that have happened, is it possible to convert Karateka to the 5200? I think the control scheme would be similar to the Black Belt proto-type. Any thoughts?

It would have to be a re-write. I think Karateka on the 8-bit needs 48K for the disk and 64K for the cart version.

On that note, can someone PLEASE add collision detection to Black Belt? I'd love to actually play through the game a bit.

Tempest

• Like 1

With all of the 8-bit to 5200 convertions that have happened, is it possible to convert Karateka to the 5200? I think the control scheme would be similar to the Black Belt proto-type. Any thoughts?

It would have to be a re-write. I think Karateka on the 8-bit needs 48K for the disk and 64K for the cart version.

On that note, can someone PLEASE add collision detection to Black Belt? I'd love to actually play through the game a bit.

Tempest

I wonder if there is any more of game to play through?

Allan

Tempest

I wonder if there is any more of game to play through?

Allan

Probably not, if there was no collision detection then I doubt there was any sort of ending. It would be nice if someone would disassemble Black Belt (and Meebzork for that matter) to see if there's some hidden stuff in the code that isn't accessible during the regular game.

Tempest

Interesting... I get two different results when plugging the cart version into Altirra and Atari800Win PLus in "Atari 800/48k" mode. Atirra seems to play everything as normal. However, Atari800Win PLus gives you a 2 player battle-mode with no intro. After one or the other guy dies, then it just repeats. Kinda cool actually.

I also tested it out with BASIC enabled on a 130xe, and the behavior is the same as above. I like it. Is there anything about this in the documentation of the cart version?

It's simple. Pressing Option in Karateka enables two-player mode. And since in Atari800WinPLus the "disable BASIC" feature works by emulating pressing of the Option key on reset, EVEN IN the 400/800 mode (which is a bug), the result is that Karateka automatically goes to 2-player mode.

Edited by Kr0tki

It's simple. Pressing Option in Karateka enables two-player mode. And since in Atari800WinPLus the "disable BASIC" feature works by emulating pressing of the Option key on reset, EVEN IN the 400/800 mode (which is a bug), the result is that Karateka automatically goes to 2-player mode.

I was a little confused. I was actually physically holding down "Option" (F4), and had the "Disable BASIC" feature unchecked. I forgot that this would actually disable BASIC, not the opposite. Having the "Disable BASIC" feature of Atari800Win PLus checked does absolutely nothing in this regard. You still have to press "Option" to get into the mode. Anyway, it's a discovery for me. :)

Edited by MrFish