IGNORED

Pre-Order Page is now up for 7800 Expansion Module

Curt Vendel

There is going to be a technical manual with memory map and coding examples for programmers who want to take advantage of the extra memory, sound and I/O capabilities.

I already posted and released Source Code to a ton of 7800 games, so there is more then enough commented examples on existing 7800 games to help people write their own.

Is there any particular way to program the XM? Do you need a special cartridge or anything like that to program it? I want to learn how to program this thing.

The XM will be awesome but it does not make it simpler to program the 7800 or does it?

GroovyBee has already published games written using a C library etc. In particular Mark's game Wasp! is a great showcase for what could be written on the 7800 with a higher level language ie C.

Curt has already indicated (hinted) the possibility of being able to code directly on the 7800 with a keyboard and also BASIC for the 7800 courtesy of OSS?

However on day 1 of the XM launch you will be faced with coding 6502 assembler.

Personally I am interested in simply learning enough assembler to get music playing on the yamaha chip. Getting music playing could be one of the easiest things to do on the 7800+XM at least compared to doing screen graphics.

That said if I ever develop enough 6502 skills then Robotron 7800 will get my attention.

It would be fun just to be able to take the source, assemble it then say yes I have a working 7800 binary for Robotron, now try to make tweaks. Instead of thinking about coding a game from scratch perhaps consider looking at existing source and modifying it, this will still require you learn 6502 assembler but it should also mean you get the satisfaction of making changes and seeing them quicker then coding a game from scratch although ultimately that would be col as well :-)

Anyway I will keep checking Amazon for that upcoming Teach yourself 7800 coding in 24 hours book :-)

Its still the same architecture, coding tools are up to coders to want to make for the console, this is just giving it the raw muscle, audio, and I/O to allow the system to play more complex and better games then previously...

Maybe Btari needs to have a Btari78 basic language for the 7800 ? ;-)

I'm so pleased for you, Curt. I think your enthusiasm has a way of inspiring others to want it to work out as much as yourself, so they give their best effort. Hey, I might be biased, but if I got to work on an Atari project, I'd want to give it my all, too! :)

Basic or any of the other utilities working on the 7800, given how the display must be generated, is a curiosity. I wonder just how much it allows one to access or control. I think a lot of us greenies wouldn't mind being able to at least create simple 12-color images or write a little melody. If simple BASIC games or utilities could be ported, given the display kernel issues, aside, it might encourage people to give further development a try.

First tooling test sample arrived, its frosted, though I am going to spray a lacquer on it and it will actually make it look see through. This serve's two purposes, to check all of the fittings of the tooling, make several corrections, and prepare for the texturing and polishing.

Second is once its see thru it will be used to final physical alignment checks and component placement checks to the physical plastics...

Making progress! :-)

post-23-128771200005_thumb.jpg

It is beautiful! :lust:

For convenience. ;)

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=115

GroovyBee has already published games written using a C library etc. In particular Mark's game Wasp! is a great showcase for what could be written on the 7800 with a higher level level ie C.

Wasp!, Harry's Hen House and Worm! are all written in "C".

Curt has already indicated (hinted) the possibility of being able to code directly on the 7800 with a keyboard and also BASIC for the 7800 courtesy of OSS?

I'm sad to say but without the ability to save/load your work I don't think BASIC will fly as a game development route. However, without reverse engineering the BASIC cart's ROM binary I'm just guessing at the functionality/commands available at this point. Some changes would also be needed in the emulators to support file I/O so that development on a PC would be a possibility.

However on day 1 of the XM launch you will be faced with coding 6502 assembler.

Personally I am interested in simply learning enough assembler to get music playing on the yamaha chip. Getting music playing could be one of the easiest things to do on the 7800+XM at least compared to doing screen graphics.

Screen graphics aren't hard ;). Just ask questions in the 7800 programmers forum about anything that you are stuck on.

That said if I ever develop enough 6502 skills then Robotron 7800 will get my attention.

It would be fun just to be able to take the source, assemble it then say yes I have a working 7800 binary for Robotron, now try to make tweaks. Instead of thinking about coding a game from scratch perhaps consider looking at existing source and modifying it, this will still require you learn 6502 assembler but it should also mean you get the satisfaction of making changes and seeing them quicker then coding a game from scratch although ultimately that would be col as well :-)

Unfortunately the Robotron source code (as made available by Curt) won't get you very far. From what I can tell its for a version of MARIA that did not ship in the retail 7800s.

SOOOO EXCITING!!! :o

First tooling test sample arrived, its frosted, though I am going to spray a lacquer on it and it will actually make it look see through. This serve's two purposes, to check all of the fittings of the tooling, make several corrections, and prepare for the texturing and polishing.

Second is once its see thru it will be used to final physical alignment checks and component placement checks to the physical plastics...

Making progress! :-)

post-23-128771200005_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the Robotron source code (as made available by Curt) won't get you very far. From what I can tell its for a version of MARIA that did not ship in the retail 7800s.

So does that mean that source can be modified to work with a stock Maria?

Finally pre-ordered mine, are you debiting the cash when its shipped or is this a full down payment upon pre-order?

You're paying now and it's non-refundable. Curt is using the preorder money to pay for tool and die costs. That's all written on the preorder page right above the add to cart button.

Just a couple of more hold-outs, needed, who are willing to take the plunge to get me to put a cork in it. (I promise to stay off of Atariage for a couple of weeks. Minus checking in to see who I get to be Secret Santa to. :D ) Hey, it'll make me put my mouth where my politics are and allow you to express your sentiments as well.

If you were opposed to the expansion in the past on your own grounds, it's a good time as any to put those misgivings aside and take a step of faith in support of the project. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

I could get EHBASIC on it if there were a keyboard (I mentioned in another thread), though because of potential legalities I'd kind-of prefer to come up with a new one...though did someone say there was a preliminary port of 400 BASIC underway already?

Really, all BASIC needs is some sort of text mode. And I doubt that's too difficult, I just don't understand the 7800 enough yet to figure out how to implement such a thing (40x24/25, 2 bpp, 8x8 font).

Just a couple of more hold-outs, needed, who are willing to take the plunge to get me to put a cork in it. (I promise to stay off of Atariage for a couple of weeks. Minus checking in to see who I get to be Secret Santa to. :D ) Hey, it'll make me put my mouth where my politics are and allow you to express your sentiments as well.

If you were opposed to the expansion in the past on your own grounds, it's a good time as any to put those misgivings aside and take a step of faith in support of the project. ;)

See ya in a couple of weeks. :lol:

See ya in a couple of weeks. :lol:

Yes! But it isn't enough..it's never enough....!!

If this thing is shipping end of Novemeber can we get a line-up of the launch titles for it please?

Or at least some confirmations on the rumors...

We know Dungeon is supposed to be a Launch title, but Groovey hasn't said much lately if he's made significant changes/progress. So far we only have still screenshots.

Pac-Man Collection Pokey is another possible. The Game is done, but who knows if anyone's going to release it.

Donkey Kong Arcade/pokey is rumored as well, but again, no official announcement.

beyond that...

• Like 1

Things are moving along very well, should receive textured stamp out in the next 5-7 days and the nameplates should also be arriving very shortly...

Working on the boxes now and going to work on the User Manual. The full technical manual may have to be mailed out to owners separately, I am not sure it will be ready in time to ship, but things have been going very smoothly so far, so who knows... :-)

Btw, Curt how the box design progress?

• Like 2

Donkey Kong Arcade/pokey is rumored as well, but again, no official announcement.

Check out the 7800 hacks forum. :)

Perry

If the Pac-Man and Donkey Kong POKEY versions get made into carts, I'm gonna get them for sure. Though wouldn't it be possible to make an almost exact port of the Arcade versions given the new Yamaha synth chip and the extra RAM?

• Like 1

Check out the 7800 hacks forum. :)

Perry

If the Pac-Man and Donkey Kong POKEY versions get made into carts, I'm gonna get them for sure. Though wouldn't it be possible to make an almost exact port of the Arcade versions given the new Yamaha synth chip and the extra RAM?

I was under the impression that OpCode/Eduardo, the colecovision homebrewer, was already working on a full-boat DK 7800 rewrite for the 7800XM with all 4 levels, arcade exact graphics, and sound.

Kind of a bummer if that's not the case.

Edited by Underball