IGNORED

VCS Joystick for Masterplay

Charlie_

I'm always telling people how easy it is to add a 2nd button and wire to the standard VCS joystick so you can use it with the masterplay interface.

I thought I would show the finished result. The wire is Radio Shack cat number 42-2454. It is just a speaker cable with the mono plug. Then all you need is an appropriate sized button. Run the wire through the same whole where the existing wire exits the stick. Use a wire tie to secure the wire to the existing wire so you dont accidentaly pull it out. Then drill the hole, install the button and solder the wires to the button. Put it back together abd you have the perfect stick for the Masterplay. See the picture for where to put the button. You have to make sure it is not above the stand offs in the base. It is actually in an excellent position.

post-322-1285358807_thumb.jpg

I'm always telling people how easy it is to add a 2nd button and wire to the standard VCS joystick so you can use it with the masterplay interface.

I thought I would show the finished result. The wire is Radio Shack cat number 42-2454. It is just a speaker cable with the mono plug. Then all you need is an appropriate sized button. Run the wire through the same whole where the existing wire exits the stick. Use a wire tie to secure the wire to the existing wire so you dont accidentaly pull it out. Then drill the hole, install the button and solder the wires to the button. Put it back together abd you have the perfect stick for the Masterplay. See the picture for where to put the button. You have to make sure it is not above the stand offs in the base. It is actually in an excellent position.

its not hard but it looks like you had to use a screwdriver and a soldering iron and a wire stripper and that is too much for most people

Yeah, most people don't have the tools nor how to use them to make exact size holes, solder things, etc. And the use of the 2nd button is unnecessary in most of the games. Just this week's Moon Raker game could easily have been so that jump is up and trigger is fire like on a8. Similarly, Qix could easily have been press the trigger for the red boxes and no button press for the blue boxes. Similarly, Hero could have been down direction for drop the dynamite and trigger for fire. They seem to be using the second button because it's there rather than because it's needed. Any games that REQUIRE a second button?

Oh, and frogger should not have used even the trigger (first) button to move.

5200 Defender.

I never liked the 2600 Defender way of flying below the mountains to bomb. And Defender II uses player 2 button for bomb!

I actually like the use of the 2nd button in 5200 games. I like in Pitfall button 2 jumps forward.

At some point I'm going to get around to converting an arcade stick for the 5200 that I can use in the Masterplay.

Well if anyone with a Masterplay thinks it is too hard to add the button to a 2600 stick, PM me and I'd be glad to do it for you.

Just send me all the stuff and pay for shipping.

Yeah, most people don't have the tools nor how to use them to make exact size holes, solder things, etc. And the use of the 2nd button is unnecessary in most of the games. Just this week's Moon Raker game could easily have been so that jump is up and trigger is fire like on a8. Similarly, Qix could easily have been press the trigger for the red boxes and no button press for the blue boxes. Similarly, Hero could have been down direction for drop the dynamite and trigger for fire. They seem to be using the second button because it's there rather than because it's needed. Any games that REQUIRE a second button?

moon patrol

and qix if you want to make a slow box

its an even easier mod if you use a wico bat or ball stick since they have 2 buttons anyway just disconnect one and attach your 1/8 mono cord to it

Edited by bohoki

moon patrol

and qix if you want to make a slow box

its an even easier mod if you use a wico bat or ball stick since they have 2 buttons anyway just disconnect one and attach your 1/8 mono cord to it

I think what she meant was that they could do without the 2nd button if they had wanted to. The original Mac did everything with one button mouse so software can be organized so it works with simpler controls. Some games are exceptions like Flight Simulator, but in those types of games you don't expect users to be using all those buttons in a fast paced way.

Modern controllers are way too complex and require a learning curve and if you play hundreds of different games like I do, you don't want any learning curve for each game nor the complexity that comes with using all those buttons. Imageine using a mouse that has 10 buttons that do all different things-- it's no longer a simple user interface anymore. Two isn't that bad but modern controllers have gone way overboard.