IGNORED

Brand NEW 1MB and stereo demo for A8

Poison

Hey,

looks like the animated GIF "Karateka dance" finally turned into an A8 demo. I once tried to convert this GIF animation into a TIP animation (with Tebe`s Tip Animator), but it did not work for me, since the GIF animation used frames of different sizes and this looked very bad as a tip animation. It is a little bit sad, that the A8 versions shows only a small part of the original Karateka Dance Gif Animation, but maybe more was not possible because of RAM usage (I am not a programmer you know). Anyways one can find the animated GIF e.g. here: http://www.blingcheese.com/graphics/1/karate.htm

Hmm, you credit TeBe for Tip-Converter, but afaik the (PC-) TIP Converter was done by Epi, whereas TeBe did the tip-animator. Think I have already seen some of the Giger (or at least Giger style) art used in this demo, everyone knows Giger`s art, because of Alien (and Aliens, Alien 3, Alien 4, AvP, etc. - Giger created them)... it`s still a nice demo but alas too big for my 576k stereo Atari XL, so I also had to watch it on the emulator.

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Its late at night, so I cannot listen to the music in this demo... (kids and wife are sleeping).

How about posting a link to a video for the vast majority of us who do not own a 1mb 8 bit to see? Posting a link to a file that maybe 3 of us can run and then telling us to watch it wasn't exactly a good idea.

Surely you've heard of emulation?

It's still suppose to work on more real Ataris than 3 since emulation is supposed to be representative of many Ataris out there. It requires PAL so that rules out a bunch of countries, and it requires 1024K expansion memory so that rules out most of those PAL users, and then it requires a stereo board which further narrows the users. And to top it off, it's not that good compared to some demos I have seen. Maybe those interlaced imagery will look better on a real system but I guess I'll never know.

• Like 1

everything good in its own sweet time

my question is how come this demo doesn't load in decent way - ie from dos?

having to load 1mb of data (animation and tip images) over a sio is not something i would like to repeat in the nearest future

i'm remember loading poorly cracked gauntlet that took 2 sides of C60 tape and it would never load (that didn't stop me from trying though)

back to the roots? not that eagor to do so...

having to load 1mb of data (animation and tip images) over a sio is not something i would like to repeat in the nearest future

i'm remember loading poorly cracked gauntlet that took 2 sides of C60 tape and it would never load (that didn't stop me from trying though)

My PAL unit HAD 1mb in it... but no longer :(

My PAL unit HAD 1mb in it... but no longer :(

Given price of modern 1GB DRAMs is a few bucks, perhaps it's better to go for some ultimate 1GB plug-in for cartridge or cartridge extender (like one of those carts I have seen that lets you plug in another cart on top of it). Since the 8-bits of D0..D7 and 8-bits of A0..A7 is available for banking at $D5xx, that's 16-bits at 16K per bank or 1GB total RAM.

Flash RAM may be simpler but they usually have that slow IDE interface on top of those flash cards.

1MB for this crapmo? Shall I destroy now my XL knowing it can only do this with 1MB of RAM? Luckily Numen shows it better at 320K .....

For what 1MB? for that blocky thing that does some movement? For the digitized graphics?

And , well, using 2 POKEYs at 16 bit will surely sound better than one at 8 bit resolution. But what have they done? Telling something about some "digi bass sound" in endscroller. LOL. "Special techniques" LOL.... in your dreams, guys. .... only in your dreams you have some "digi bass like sound" .

Edited by emkay

hi, emkay, thax for reply:) I expected something like that:) But 1MB is for almost 300 g2f pictures of dancer, If you know how this demo make for 320kb ram, do it. Iam not graphician and g2f is great tool for me, I can convert easyly simpli pictures for atari. Iam graphician on the same level as you are musician:) Music is standart stereo CMC played is double speed. 11 years of testing and development of "digi drums and bass line" is a JOKE!! Can you imagine how I or somebody trying in cmc 11 years do sampled drums?:) No dear emkay, no. As you can reead in end titles, this is my last product for little atari, you cant afraid of my next horrible, terrible and really BAD demos for atari. This is my last music and last demo. But I will be lucky when I see some great demo with nice music from your production, now I see nothing. Pokey demo is really terrible for me. as XLent wrote on atari area forum and comments dancing karateka is downloaded gif, which I fond on google.com . . . pictures as I wrote in end titles, I never wrote or told that I do that or painted. I only converted graphics for atari. Prototype logo is repainted from Technological death such as picture in Who lost the wallet is from desert dream. Why? because I love these two demos on Amiga500, And is nice to see some little stuff from amiga on A8.

"All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die" Roy Batty

How about posting a link to a video for the vast majority of us who do not own a 1mb 8 bit to see? Posting a link to a file that maybe 3 of us can run and then telling us to watch it wasn't exactly a good idea.

Surely you've heard of emulation?

It's still suppose to work on more real Ataris than 3 since emulation is supposed to be representative of many Ataris out there. It requires PAL so that rules out a bunch of countries, and it requires 1024K expansion memory so that rules out most of those PAL users, and then it requires a stereo board which further narrows the users. And to top it off, it's not that good compared to some demos I have seen. Maybe those interlaced imagery will look better on a real system but I guess I'll never know.

Not quite in the same league with a 25+ year old platform, but if everyone took this viewpoint, there would have been no "faster, better" mentality which drove the PC market. The software drives the hardware market, and it's the only way to raise the bar; otherwise we'd all still be stuck on 640k 8086s...

I've not looked at the demo, but if more software were to be produced that had high requirements, then maybe it would encourage more people to upgrade. I'd love to play a game that actually requires a 1mb system.

And yes, I know I could write one etc., it was just a viewpoint :)

hi, emkay, thax for reply:) I expected something like that:) But 1MB is for almost 300 g2f pictures of dancer, If you know how this demo make for 320kb ram, do it.

Are you serious? 300 G2F pictures? In what resolution? It's only 4 ? colours and that blocky. The A8 has a real graphicsmode for this. No need for storing charsets , and so on. The whole animation could take place in 64K .

Iam not graphician and g2f is great tool for me, I can convert easyly simpli pictures for atari. Iam graphician on the same level as you are musician:) Music is standart stereo CMC played is double speed. 11 years of testing and development of "digi drums and bass line" is a JOKE!!

Can you imagine how I or somebody trying in cmc 11 years do sampled drums?icon_smile.gif No dear emkay, no.

Sorry, but you didn't write that you use digi drum . You wrote about some programming tech. that makes it sound like digis. Where is the joke?

As you can reead in end titles, this is my last product for little atari, you cant afraid of my next horrible, terrible and really BAD demos for atari. This is my last music and last demo. But I will be lucky when I see some great demo with nice music from your production, now I see nothing.

No need for me to write demos.

Pokey demo is really terrible for me.

So you should do something better at least , before shooting against others.

The POKEY Demo is exactly the vice versa of your production. It fits into standard ATARI RAM and uses the "standard" of the hardware.

Fandal did a great job with it. The music is just a proposal to musicians that have a look at those techniques of POKEY usage and use them for creating "100%" POKEY tunes on the real thing, because the emulation differs too much for further development. You use 2 Pokeys at 16 bit .... But there still is neither unique sounds nor originality in there.

Your Demo wastes all resources, has no good presentation .....

What do you await? Without the attack toward my direction, I would have looked at it and saved me any comment. The people at Pouet do not know me....

as XLent wrote on atari area forum and comments dancing karateka is downloaded gif, which I fond on google.com . . . pictures as I wrote in end titles, I never wrote or told that I do that or painted. I only converted graphics for atari. Prototype logo is repainted from Technological death such as picture in Who lost the wallet is from desert dream. Why? because I love these two demos on Amiga500, And is nice to see some little stuff from amiga on A8.

All bla bla bla.....

The demo is a direct attack to POKEY Demo. That's for sure. You also mentioned the "bad" dancer in the Demo. If you really wanted to produce a breathtaking demo, there are enough people taking part on it..... Me aswell. But you wanted to show, what a badass emkay is, and failed.

"All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die" Roy Batty

No cause for getting polemic.

"Using 1MB" .... well... I really expected some "revolution" in graphics and sound. Just like some full piece of music with digi instruments, while the Antic displays the animations .... or else.

I've not looked at the demo, but if more software were to be produced that had high requirements, then maybe it would encourage more people to upgrade. I'd love to play a game that actually requires a 1mb system.

At the risk of derailing the thread here... is there really a good idea for a game that'd actually require 1Mb? There are some A8 games that need 128K or even a bit larger and they're very lovely for it (or in one case, will be when it's released =-) but 1Mb... for conventional games that's overkill and, although it might be possible to do an FMV game of some kind (there's an attempt to do Mad Dog McCree on the Spectrum right now, but that's relying on a fast disk interface rather than RAM), 1Mb is relatively small for those purposes...