IGNORED

Atari Universal Switch Box

romeoteknik

I finally got a 7800 from Best Electronics and it came with the Atari Universal Switch Box which is supposed to be better than the older one.

Anyway, everything works but the picture (maybe I'm used to HD) isn't all that great, fuzzy looking. Is this how it supposed to be?

I know some guy on ebay offers a video mod service to change it to A/V, has anyone tried it?

Here's the guy, you can also DIY.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904761765461?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290476176546&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

7800 does look pretty crap using RF, it is definitely worth the time and effort to do some sort of video mod. If you can hold the right end of a soldering iron there are a few topics on how to do a video mod in these forums. There are about $4 of parts in those "kits" you link to.

Longhorn engineer offers a kit, I have the V1 motherboard in my NTSC 7800 and I am very happy with it, a home made mod in my PAL 7800 which is pretty good and a lovely French 7800 that outputs RGB

I have found that if you are using RF with the 7800, you have to use a good RF cable. If you don't, the cable basically acts like an antenna and you get fuzz, especially if you have other machines/equipment close by. Rat shack has gold plated ones with decent shielding fairly cheap.

Thanks for the advice I will check out getting a better RF cable

Thanks for the replies guys, I will also check out getting a better RF cable. I looked up Longhorn Engineer but he wants $100 for the mod, that's like buying another 7800. If I did that, plus almost $100 for the expansion module coming out soon, that's $300 for a 7800, crazy, haha.

What bothers me is that with that expansion module coming out soon, I will not enjoy the games as much because of this kinda of picture.

If any one of you play Microsoft Game Room, that's EXACTLY how I would like the picture to be or similiar to it. No fuzz whatsoever. Perfect pixels.

A nice cable is almost as good as composite output. Get the thickest mofo you can find.

And holy crap, $50? Didn't that ebay guy sell them for $30 previously? I should get in on this Sell-$10-of-crap-for-$50 scheme.

Edited by Rex Dart

I went to Radio Shack and they didn't have any RF cables. I'm getting confused with RF and RCA.

Can someone be kind enough to post a link on radio shack's website or monoprice (preferred) of which gold cables to buy?

This way I know exactly what to get.

Thanks.

They look and plugin in the same but aren't constructed the same. You may see it sold as 75 Ohm Shielded Cable. If you cut into it you find metal braid under the first layer of insulation followed by a thick insulator and the center conductor. You can make a fair RF cable by screwing shielded RCA adapters into 75 Ohm coax.

The way I usually do it is buy a decent RCA cable and then the F to Phono Jack. Here are part numbers from Rat Shack:

Gold-Plated "F" Jack Connector to Phono Plug

Model: 278-276 | Catalog #: 278-276

AUVIO® 3-Ft. Stereo Audio RCA Cable

Model: 15-220 | Catalog #: 15-220

The RCA Cable is a bit steep and has 4 connectors (left and right), but you get the idea. Just get a single RCA cable that is insulated and has gold leads. If you can't find a single RCA cable, then buy the stereo one and only use one of the connector sets. It will still work. Hope this helps.

Hmm, I have a fair amount of quad-shielded RG6 coax around - could that be used with the right F and RCA connectors or is that completely up the wrong RF branch. ? ;)

I don't see why not, you would just have to get the reverse adapter (F Female to RCA male), other than that, i can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.

Cliff