IGNORED

Got a 5200, console only, not sure where to begin

Rex Dart

So I recently bought a 7800 and the seller threw in a 4-port 5200 without any accessories as a bonus. No word on whether or not it works. I was already interested in the system, so I'd like to get it up & running if possible. The crazy power setup rules out the possibility of picking up a cheap power supply, and I've got no controllers to test it with, either. What's my first step in testing this thing? Is there a simple way to supply power & see if it even boots up? I'd rather not go spend money on a cart, controller, and power supply and find out SURPRISE, it's dead.

Thanks!

So I recently bought a 7800 and the seller threw in a 4-port 5200 without any accessories as a bonus. No word on whether or not it works. I was already interested in the system, so I'd like to get it up & running if possible. The crazy power setup rules out the possibility of picking up a cheap power supply, and I've got no controllers to test it with, either. What's my first step in testing this thing? Is there a simple way to supply power & see if it even boots up? I'd rather not go spend money on a cart, controller, and power supply and find out SURPRISE, it's dead.

Thanks!

That's a tough situation. The only easy way I can think of to test it would be to have someone with a working 4-port 5200 setup plug your unit in and try it out. If there isn't anyone locally who can volunteer to do this, you might be better off simply buying a tested 4-port 5200 setup on Ebay (should run less than $50 for a basic setup), and then selling your existing unit as working or non-working based on what you find out. It seems unlikely to me that you'd be able to buy a game, working controller, switchbox, and power supply for much less than what a full system bundle would cost you. As you probably know (based on your "crazy power setup" comment), the 4-port and 2-port models have different switchboxes, so make sure you are able to get a 4-port switchbox to test with.

Thanks!

You may want to snipe an ebay auction for as cheap as possible to get the parts you need. With a 4 port you will need the switch box unless you do the power mod. Thats easy to find if you search. Your going to need a common cart like pac-man to see if the system powers up.

To go a step beyond the power mod, would it be possible for me to just apply 12V or 9V DC or whatever the thing requires to a couple points on the motherboard? That would save me some effort & time modding a system that may not work. Otherwise, I'll probably go ahead with a power mod and see what I get.

How common is it for the controller ports on these units to go bad? I could hold off on the controller for a bit if I can reasonably assume that the ports work. I'm pretty poor :(

Well, I was gonna recommend Best Electronics, but I can't find a darn thing on their Web site.

So I went to 4jays.net. They have the four-port switchbox and power supply for $19.95 each. (new power supply is $25) Considering you already have the console, spending $40 doesn't seem too bad. Of course, the hope is that it works.

You'll also need a game - you can't "boot it up" without a cartridge - and you'll need a controller. Couldn't tell from your first post if you have those necessary parts.

Edited by Brian R.

Yeah, I figure I can pick up a game cart or two in town for a few dollars, though the controllers are sort of difficult to find locally (for ease of return in case I can't use 'em). Is the controller necessary for testing the unit? I'm only looking to confirm that it's functional (as cheaply as possible); I can get into playing & collecting later.

To go a step beyond the power mod, would it be possible for me to just apply 12V or 9V DC or whatever the thing requires to a couple points on the motherboard? That would save me some effort & time modding a system that may not work. Otherwise, I'll probably go ahead with a power mod and see what I get.

How common is it for the controller ports on these units to go bad? I could hold off on the controller for a bit if I can reasonably assume that the ports work. I'm pretty poor :(

I recommend the goat store for 5200 controllers. I just got 2 and they are in great shape. They'll likely need rebuilds--but it's a start. And at $5/ea. You really can't go wrong.

http://www.goatstore.com/

Yeah, I figure I can pick up a game cart or two in town for a few dollars, though the controllers are sort of difficult to find locally (for ease of return in case I can't use 'em). Is the controller necessary for testing the unit? I'm only looking to confirm that it's functional (as cheaply as possible); I can get into playing & collecting later.

Yeah, you'll be able to tell if the console works without a controller. You just won't be able to start or play the game, obviously. So you'll see the colorful fugi logo screen at startup and get to the menu screen for whatever game you happen to put in - not sure if they go into demo mode or not, since I usually start games to quickly to see if they do that or not.

But in short - yes, you can check to be sure it works without a controller. Just need that power supply and switchbox.

Ouch! I usually try to avoid those deals. The switchboxes for those alone are usually not cheap and then having to track down a set of controllers that work and won't need rebuilding for a while is another hassle. Carts are cheap and easy enough to get, it's just the consoles and accessories are a little hard on the wallet. Trying to piece together an incomplete system almost always costs more than buying one with everything you need.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Hmm...I picked up a complete 4-port from this place for $40.

Collector's Cards And Games

He might have extra 4-port accessories you need. He does respond to emails and his site is the easiest I've found to look at. Hope this helps.

Well, it wasn't so bad that you got the 5200 as a free bonus, actually, (I missed that part when I posted earlier) but that automatic switchbox is still going to run $30-$40 on it's own if you can find one and you can't use the normal Atari game/tv switchbox with a 4 port because the 4 port one carries the juice from the power supply. The power supply itself is also special. You can't use a power supply from any other piece of Atari equipment with it. Controllers are going to be another issue. Most of the ones that are out there are broken and you can easily pay $20 each for them. Reconditioned ones will be a lot more. It might actually be better to just flip it as is untested for whatever you can get for it. You'll be a couple hundred in the hole rounding up all the accessories and that's a lot to find out it doesn't work and you'll never get that money back when you resell. You could also hang onto it if you have the space and hope a deal on 5200 accessories comes along that won't leave you out of pocket if you have to resell.

Am I wrong, or do you even need a game cart to see if it powers on? I thought the 5200 was designed to be hot-swappable with game carts, meaning you can swap out games with the power on. You would not see the Atari logo boot-up screen, but the power-on LED should tell you if it works.