IGNORED

French 7800 with SCART - What does it output?

mamejay

Hi Guys,

Scored myself a French 7800 console with SCART connector. Waiting on it to be delivered now. Just wondering what it actually outputs?

Cannot find any firm information whether it outputs RGB only or if it does S-Video and composite also.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the links.

One thing though. I am looking at some of the pictures from the photographs thread and it has a picture of the SCART connector.

I have compared the available pins and it looks like there is RGB as well as S-Video (Chrominance, Luminance) pins. Has anyone tried to tap the S-Video out and see what the result was?

Thanks for the links.

One thing though. I am looking at some of the pictures from the photographs thread and it has a picture of the SCART connector.

I have compared the available pins and it looks like there is RGB as well as S-Video (Chrominance, Luminance) pins. Has anyone tried to tap the S-Video out and see what the result was?

It does not output S-Video or composite only RGB + audio.

Mitch

What I consider to be the main failing of SCART is that while there are plenty of pins assigned to plenty of functions, there's no requirement to support any particular subset of them on either end of the cable, and no way to tell which are used without consulting (probably long lost) instruction manuals or actually trying to hook it up. And which wires does a cable manufacturer include? Those ones you don't use still cost you money.

About the only thing you're assured of is that 1) you've got a big-ass connector, and 2) it'll usually take up more space than the one set of signals that actually is supported. At least you'll only have one cable, but it'll probably include wires you didn't need... if it has the ones you did need.

Hi Guys,

Scored myself a French 7800 console with SCART connector. Waiting on it to be delivered now. Just wondering what it actually outputs?

Cannot find any firm information whether it outputs RGB only or if it does S-Video and composite also.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm in the uk and have a spare rgb lead if you should need one.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions on the picture quality, i think the 7800 side is decent but i'm not impressed with the 2600.

What I consider to be the main failing of SCART is that while there are plenty of pins assigned to plenty of functions, there's no requirement to support any particular subset of them on either end of the cable, and no way to tell which are used without consulting (probably long lost) instruction manuals or actually trying to hook it up. And which wires does a cable manufacturer include? Those ones you don't use still cost you money.

About the only thing you're assured of is that 1) you've got a big-ass connector, and 2) it'll usually take up more space than the one set of signals that actually is supported. At least you'll only have one cable, but it'll probably include wires you didn't need... if it has the ones you did need.

I've made scart cables for nearly every system i own, finding the documentation hasn't really been a problem.

I buy fully wired scart cables (5 meters) for £3.00 and buy the scart head and others connecters from ebay.

With a bit of soldering it probably costs about £5-£6 a cable.

If you need a hand with anything let me know.

It does RGB + composite + mono sound.

If TV accepts RGB, RGB is shown. If TV doesn't accept RGB, composite is shown. (Most of the times, a TV with 2 or 3 scart inputs only takes RGB from one of them, the others are composite only; plug in the good one).

If TV accepts RGB, RGB is shown. If TV doesn't accept RGB, composite is shown. (Most of the times, a TV with 2 or 3 scart inputs only takes RGB from one of them, the others are composite only; plug in the good one).

Thanks for that Rastignac,

I do not have a SCART TV as I live in Australia but was going to have a play around with soldering some outputs to the pins to test.

If composite works this will work out fine for me. Now all I need is some PAL 7800 games. They seems to be heaps more expensive than their NTSC counterparts.

Anyone interested in getting rid of some PAL doubles they may have?

Have you tested it with composite? I don't remember the signal being connected.

Mitch

I tested two french 7800 with scart output, with four different TVs.

First TV has only one composite scart (no rgb), the second has one rgb scart and one composite scart, the third has one rgb scart, the fourth has two rgb scarts. These 7800s work fine on each TV and on each scart.

The difference between composite quality and rgb quality is small (visible but small).

First TV has only one composite scart (no rgb), the second has one rgb scart and one composite scart, the third has one rgb scart, the fourth has two rgb scarts. These 7800s work fine on each TV and on each scart.

The difference between composite quality and rgb quality is small (visible but small).

Interesting, I'll have to look at this again at some point.

Mitch

I will do some thorough testings once I get mine delivered. I am a little concerned with seller I brought the 7800 off. He has not responded for 3 days to any of my emails. Could be a language barrier but still at least let me know that its under way.

SCART is an absolute blessing in disguise for Europeans. WITH A SCART unit, you can use one of these instead of doing a video mod to get cleaner output than RF, even if you don't have a SCART TV.

http://www.y-shop.net/rgb-scart-male-to-3-rca-av-female-s-video-in-out-switch-adapter-p1430-en.html

rgb-scart-male-to-3-rca-av-female-s-video-in-out-switch-adapter-p1430.jpg

You guys over in Pound and Euro land don't know how good you have it.

Edited by OldAtarian

I don't suppose you've tried connecting the 7800 to a PAL TV or a Secam TV in PAL mode? I bought a French 7800 a while ago and found that 7800 games only appear in grey and light green???

I don't suppose you've tried connecting the 7800 to a PAL TV or a Secam TV in PAL mode? I bought a French 7800 a while ago and found that 7800 games only appear in grey and light green???

Nope I killed it messing around with one of the trim pots, broke the top off the trim pot!!

Previously it worked perfectly on Sony crt sets lg LCD and plasma sets and a non branded LCD

I killed it after trying to adjust an over driven video on a c=1084!!

I got a french scart 7800 and did a bit of messing around inside, seems to be two pots for colour calibration, one for the 2600 and on for the 7800.

There was also two other adjusters for fine tuning, again 2600 and 7800.

Your issue can most likely be resolved via the 7800 colour pot.

I got a french scart 7800 and did a bit of messing around inside, seems to be two pots for colour calibration, one for the 2600 and on for the 7800.

There was also two other adjusters for fine tuning, again 2600 and 7800.

Your issue can most likely be resolved via the 7800 colour pot.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Does this mean PAL TV's use a different colour frequency to Secam TV's?