IGNORED

French 7800 with SCART - What does it output?

mamejay

SCART is an absolute blessing in disguise for Europeans. WITH A SCART unit, you can use one of these instead of doing a video mod to get cleaner output than RF, even if you don't have a SCART TV.

http://www.y-shop.net/rgb-scart-male-to-3-rca-av-female-s-video-in-out-switch-adapter-p1430-en.html

rgb-scart-male-to-3-rca-av-female-s-video-in-out-switch-adapter-p1430.jpg

You guys over in Pound and Euro land don't know how good you have it.

Yup. You hear amazing stories of RGB all the time. Except for one caveat, that while common knowledge, Europeans generally don't quite grasp how crippling of a barrier it is:

Most TVs in the Americas do not have SCART input.

There's yet to be a workaround that sounds compelling enough for me to spend money on. I've gotten the impression transcoders are annoying.

I got a french scart 7800 and did a bit of messing around inside, seems to be two pots for colour calibration, one for the 2600 and on for the 7800.

There was also two other adjusters for fine tuning, again 2600 and 7800.

Your issue can most likely be resolved via the 7800 colour pot.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Does this mean PAL TV's use a different colour frequency to Secam TV's?

PAL and SECAM are very different systems. PAL (and NTSC) encodes two colour difference signals per line using quadrature amplitude modulation. SECAM encodes only a single colour difference signal on each line (using frequency modulation) and requires a delay line to "repeat" the signal from the previous line. This site has a more detailed explanation if you're interested

OK so then stupid noob question here:

I I get a PAL system that has a SCART output and hook up one of those adapters that converts it to Component/Svideo will it then display properly on an NTSC TV with Component or Svideo input? :?

As long as the converter is RGB SCART to NTSC whatever it should be fine.

Mitch

I I get a PAL system that has a SCART output and hook up one of those adapters that converts it to Component/Svideo will it then display properly on an NTSC TV with Component or Svideo input? :?

Mitch

Well that is what I do not know, I was referring to the adapter link as mentioned above but I am guessing then it will be PAL scart outputting a PAL Composite/Svideo? Which I guess is still not compatible with NTSC television. Dammit WHY couldn't broadcast signals have just been agreed upon and standardized worldwide?

Mitch

Well that is what I do not know, I was referring to the adapter link as mentioned above but I am guessing then it will be PAL scart outputting a PAL Composite/Svideo? Which I guess is still not compatible with NTSC television. Dammit WHY couldn't broadcast signals have just been agreed upon and standardized worldwide?

yes it will be a PAL s-video/composite signal.

You could try and get a cheap commodore 1084 monitor, they take an RGB signal, and some of the NTSC ones are also switchable to PAL mode (but the PAL ones are not switchable to NTSC!)

Mitch

That adapter doesn't perform any video conversion. It just connects the audio, composite-video and s-video signals from the scart to the corresponding pins of rca and mini-din connectors. So you won't get s-video out of the mini-din connector unless the scart device is outputting an s-video signal!