IGNORED

Best Electronics Gold Contact 5200 Joystick?

1982VideoGames

My rebuilt controller was refurbished by 4Jays using Best parts, and I've had it for about 6 years now. The cable needs to be replaced (the middle keypad column stops working if the cable is in a certain position), but otherwise it works great. I actually prefer it over the Wico stick in most cases.

The Wico Y cables I have seen are more flimsy and fail more than the A5200 cables. However, the Wico stick provides better control than A5200 controller especially for those games that use the buttons.

However, the Wico stick provides better control than A5200 controller

Is that a fact?

Yes. It's a scientific fact. No subjectivity involved like "A5200 controller looks good.", "A5200 controller reminds me of old days.", "I'm used to the A5200 controller.", etc. It's based on scientific method and Socratic type of logic. Prefer that latter over the former as that's undeniably true.

Yes. It's a scientific fact. No subjectivity involved like "A5200 controller looks good.", "A5200 controller reminds me of old days.", "I'm used to the A5200 controller.", etc. It's based on scientific method and Socratic type of logic. Prefer that latter over the former as that's undeniably true.

Uh yeah...

Uh yeah...

Exactly.

Uh yeah...

Exactly.

Hey, if we really agree then I don't have to reprove my claim either scientific method or logically.

I got a cheap 5200. After a struggle with the stock controllers and trying to remedy (to no avail), i'm considering the gold contact controller from Best.

If anyone has one, please let me know how it's holding up? Thanks.

I had one for some time and recently sold it (only because I sold my collection), but I can say that it is well worth the money. Its $55, works great, and is guaranteed for life.

Hey, if we really agree then I don't have to reprove my claim either scientific method or logically.

:?

If you play River Raid currently in HSC, you can see how experimentally digital joystick is better than analog. So far in my experiment, I am finding that:

Digital Joystick > PC Joystick (Gravis with big buttons and stiff stick) > Wico > Stock A5200 controller.

The ">" means greater than in terms of control and consequently the score. I'm just having issues currently getting the digital joystick centered but even with that I get higher score than an analog joystick. The tight narrow rivers are easier with the digital joystick and having a big fire button on top helps a lot when you have to time the shots.

If you play River Raid currently in HSC, you can see how experimentally digital joystick is better than analog.

Just because one type of joystick is better at only one game doesn't mean that that joystick is always better. I'll admit the Wico is better for certain games, but overall I prefer the feel of the original 5200 controller (rebuilt of course).

If you play River Raid currently in HSC, you can see how experimentally digital joystick is better than analog.

Just because one type of joystick is better at only one game doesn't mean that that joystick is always better. I'll admit the Wico is better for certain games, but overall I prefer the feel of the original 5200 controller (rebuilt of course).

Only time analog is better if the game requires analog values. I think he meant that as an example of an experiment. You can repeat that for all the games. Pac-man is the worse than River Raid using analog stick.

Pac-man is the worse than River Raid using analog stick.

This may be true for some people. Others might not have the same issue. I can tell you I play pac-man 5200 A LOT and use the stock stick by choice. I do much better with it than any other controller. Including the 2600 stick and 7800 joypad. I'm pretty good at the game too. ;)

So, its true some types of controllers may be better for some individuals in particular types of games. Making one controller choice vs another subjective to the individuals own performance. Like playing castle crisis with a paddle is more natural to me than the stock analog stick. I can say the paddle is better to me, but I'm sure there is someone out there with the stock stick who has a much better score than me. (As much as I love that game, I'm not great at it)I'd say River Raid is better for me with a Wico.

In the end we play games with our own hands. So no matter how you test, or love your own opinion (atariksi), when there is more than one choice to make it is an individual opinion. Not a fact.

I'd like to know how someone asking about whether the Best Electronics controller rebuild kits are worth getting degenerated into a fanboy argument about which controllers are the best replacements for the Atari ones. :?

How is it degenerated? I only see well said opinions in this thread.

I think the OP received the answer he was looking for very early on in the thread.

The best gold dot kits are working fantastic for most who have used them.

I'd like to know how someone asking about whether the Best Electronics controller rebuild kits are worth getting degenerated into a fanboy argument about which controllers are the best replacements for the Atari ones. :?

As Ninja stated, that was already answered and any controller problems on A5200 are related to what can do better. I don't see any fanboyism. I have played Miner 2049er, Pac-man, and DK hundreds (if not thousands) of times on real machine and the digital joystick wins every time. I was part of this gaming club when it existed and we used to go at it and they all preferred the digital joystick or Wico over the stock controller. Perhaps, you are just more used to your stock controller.