IGNORED

7800 Gamelist

WERY

I have been looking for a complete gamelist but they are all confusing to me since they always are mixed up with both prototypes, homebrews etc. In one list, a game seems to be a retail but in another one, that game is a proto or something else

I would like a complete list of games that were released and sold i USA while PAL-only, HB's and prototypes must be excluded from that list. So retails/licensed only.

I will also appriciate the same kind of list on the 5200 library where I, like above, only want licensed/retails.

Here you go...

Ace of Aces (Atari, 1989)

Alien Brigade (Atari, 1991?)

Asteroids (Atari, 1986)

Ballblazer (Atari, 1988)

Barnyard Blaster (Atari, 1988)

Basketbrawl (Atari, 1990)

Centipede (Atari, 1986)

Choplifter (Atari, 1987)

Commando (Atari, 1990)

Crack'ed (Atari, 1989)

Crossbow (Atari, 1989)

Dark Chambers (Atari, 1989)

Desert Falcon (Atari, 1987)

Dig Dug (Atari, 1986)

Donkey Kong (Atari, 1988)

Donkey Kong Junior (Atari, 1988)

Double Dragon (Activision, 1989)

F-18 Hornet (Absolute, 1988)

Fatal Run (Atari, 1991?)

Fight Night (Atari, 1989)

Food Fight (Atari, 1986)

Galaga (Atari, 1986)

Hat Trick (Atari, 1987)

Ikari Warriors (Atari, 1990)

Impossible Mission (Atari, 1989)

Jinks (Atari, 1990)

Joust (Atari, 1986)

Karateka (Atari, 1987)

Kung-Fu Master (Absolute, 1989)

Mario Bros. (Atari, 1988)

Mat Mania Challenge (Atari, 1990)

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf (Atari, 1990)

Meltdown (Atari, 1991?)

Midnight Mutants (Atari, 1991?)

Motor Psycho (Atari, 1990)

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari, 1986)

Ninja Golf (Atari, 1990)

One-on-One Basketball (Atari, 1987)

Pete Rose Baseball (Absolute, 1989)

Planet Smashers (Atari, 1990)

Pole Position II (Atari, 1984/1986)

Rampage (Activision, 1989)

RealSports Baseball (Atari, 1988)

Robotron 2084 (Atari, 1986)

Scrapyard Dog (Atari, 1991?)

Summer Games (Atari, 1988)

Super Huey UH-IX (Atari, 1988)

Super Skateboardin' (Absolute, 1988)

Tank Command (Froggo, 1988)

Title Match Pro Wrestling (Absolute, 1989)

Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator (Absolute, 1989)

Touchdown Football (Atari, 1989)

Tower Toppler (Atari, 1989)

Water Ski (Froggo, 1988)

Winter Games (Atari, 1987)

Xenophobe (Atari, 1989)

Xevious (Atari, 1986)

ApolloBoy: Thanks for the list. It straightens out a lot. I had another list before that hade 67 titles in it so I thought it was that many games in the beginning. Then it is 57 games and that should be easy to obtain a complete collection of that library :D

Harry Potthead: I believe that if you add the "32 in 1" cartridge and remove Robotron 2084 and a couple of other titles, you get the PAL library to the 7800. If the USA list goes for 57 titles, then I guess that the PAL library goes for about 49 or 50 titles. Someone who knows shall confirm this since I lack the knowledge

SoulBlazer: Well one other reason must have been that Atari were out of new ideas. They sure got license for games that Nintendo and Sega did'nt wanted but they should have designed new games with new ideas and not just using old arcadetitles from the 70's and early 80's. All you need is a good imagination to come up with a new idea for a game.

7800 was a console of potential. It's MARIA chip that could handle "infinite" number of sprites while the other systems suffered from tremendous slowdowns would be just one of many possibilities for 7800 to compete. Then they should have ditched the RF module entirely and just put in AV and S-Video connections to the console. Built a better soundchip that would make it possible for games to have music without the requirement of a POKEY chip in the cartridge

Nintendo had developer restrictions that prevented both the 7800 and the Sega Master System from building a library of third-party games so they could compete on fair ground with the NES.

When Nintendo revived the industry, they signed up software development companies to create NES games under a strict license agreement which imposed serious restrictions on what they were allowed to do. One of the key clauses was that companies who made Nintendo games were not allowed to make that game on a competing system for a period of two years. Because of the market success of the NES, companies chose to develop for it first and were thus barred from developing the same games on competing systems for two years. The software libraries of the Atari 7800 and Sega Master System suffered tremendously as a result.

7800 was a console of potential. It's MARIA chip that could handle "infinite" number of sprites while the other systems suffered from tremendous slowdowns would be just one of many possibilities for 7800 to compete. Then they should have ditched the RF module entirely and just put in AV and S-Video connections to the console. Built a better soundchip that would make it possible for games to have music without the requirement of a POKEY chip in the cartridge

I never understood the corporate drive to shave off a few pennies by dumping cheap & useful features such as connectors or nickel ICs. Sure, those pennies add up to big bucks, but lost sales of entire consoles add up to bigger bucks.

Nintendo had developer restrictions that prevented both the 7800 and the Sega Master System from building a library of third-party games so they could compete on fair ground with the NES.

When Nintendo revived the industry, they signed up software development companies to create NES games under a strict license agreement which imposed serious restrictions on what they were allowed to do. One of the key clauses was that companies who made Nintendo games were not allowed to make that game on a competing system for a period of two years. Because of the market success of the NES, companies chose to develop for it first and were thus barred from developing the same games on competing systems for two years. The software libraries of the Atari 7800 and Sega Master System suffered tremendously as a result.

Eh, all they had to do was pull a Namcot.

This is where a national government or EU should have sued Nintendo for monopolistic practices.

Boy, that's not a very big list. No wonder it had no chance aganist the NES with almost a thousand games released. Time and time again, it's been proven the number one factor that drives and sells a system is software for it -- in most cases, that means GAMES!

Because Nintendo locked their licensees into exclusivity agreements. You couldn't release games on other platforms and the NES at the same time. The Sega Master System also suffered because of the agreement even though it was a superior machine to the NES.

The problem the 7800 really had was using the TIA as it's sole sound chip. 7800 games should have had their own sound chip on the motherboard instead of relying on the outdated effects produced by TIA. If it was a matter of saving silicon, why couldn't they have made a TIA compatible chip that also produced more advanced sounds that only 7800 games could access? That, to me, sounds like the ideal solution. 7800 developers have access to more advanced sound effects in their games without breaking compatibility and Atari saves a few bucks in the process. The only reason I can see for them not doing it is if they didn't really think it was worth the investment and if they didn't think it was worth the investment, then they obviously had doubts about the future of the 7800 from the start.

Edited by OldAtarian

The Master System was an interesting beast. It had a software advantage over the 7800 in that Sega could at least port their own lengthy lineup of hits. Also, when it died in North America, it took off in Europe around the time of Nintendo loosening those restrictions during the antitrust investigations. Because of it's similarity to Game Gear, newer arcade hits were made on Game Gear in North America and then (easily) released as Master System versions in Europe.

With the 7800, Atari Games owned the rights to Atari's current arcade hits and so Tramiel had to contentrate on computer titles.

The Master System was an interesting beast. It had a software advantage over the 7800 in that Sega could at least port their own lengthy lineup of hits. Also, when it died in North America, it took off in Europe around the time of Nintendo loosening those restrictions during the antitrust investigations. Because of it's similarity to Game Gear, newer arcade hits were made on Game Gear in North America and then (easily) released as Master System versions in Europe.

With the 7800, Atari Games owned the rights to Atari's current arcade hits and so Tramiel had to contentrate on computer titles.

Which was why it was a bad move for Tramiel not to buy the arcade division. Atari now had to license games from outside instead of having their own in house arcade games they could port over. The technology division (Atari Labs) could have also been very useful (for custom IC's and such) but Tramiel let that go by the wayside, too. I think he completely failed to see how the parts all supported each other in one way or another.

Edited by OldAtarian

Most of games NTSC only games don't work at all or properly. In the other hand, Water Ski plays without problem (asides garbage graphics on bottom screen)

Not sure if I understood that. Are you saying that some games are dead and does'nt work if they are being loaded into the 7800?

Because Nintendo locked their licensees into exclusivity agreements. You couldn't release games on other platforms and the NES at the same time. The Sega Master System also suffered because of the agreement even though it was a superior machine to the NES

And yet it was the most long living system from Sega. It started 1986 in Japan as Mark 3 and was discontinued in Europe and South America 1997. 11 years and a library of over 300 games

Edited by WERY

Not sure if I understood that. Are you saying that some games are dead and does'nt work if they are being loaded into the 7800?

I think the OP was referring to running NTSC games on a PAL machine. When you run NTSC games on a PAL console, some games will display junk at the bottom of the screen, some work for a while then crash and some crash straight away.

I think the OP was referring to running NTSC games on a PAL machine. When you run NTSC games on a PAL console, some games will display junk at the bottom of the screen, some work for a while then crash and some crash straight away.

I replied for somebody asking for a PAL list.

Thanks Groovy, This was exactly I wanted to explain. PAL users can't enjoy Robotron, for example.

ApolloBoy: Thanks for the list. It straightens out a lot. I had another list before that hade 67 titles in it so I thought it was that many games in the beginning. Then it is 57 games and that should be easy to obtain a complete collection of that library :D

Harry Potthead: I believe that if you add the "32 in 1" cartridge and remove Robotron 2084 and a couple of other titles, you get the PAL library to the 7800. If the USA list goes for 57 titles, then I guess that the PAL library goes for about 49 or 50 titles. Someone who knows shall confirm this since I lack the knowledge

SoulBlazer: Well one other reason must have been that Atari were out of new ideas. They sure got license for games that Nintendo and Sega did'nt wanted but they should have designed new games with new ideas and not just using old arcadetitles from the 70's and early 80's. All you need is a good imagination to come up with a new idea for a game.

The TIA chip was a necessary evil to maintain compatibility with 2600 games, but I have long maintained an investment in a TIA compatible chip that was also capable of more advanced sounds would have been much better. Maybe a hybrid TIA/POKEY so that programmers for the 400/800/5200 and programmers for the 2600 would both have reference points with which they were already familiar when creating new 7800 games. It would have made the learning curve for programming the 7800 a little less steep and reduced the cost of producing carts with advanced sound effects.

Edited by OldAtarian

I think the OP was referring to running NTSC games on a PAL machine. When you run NTSC games on a PAL console, some games will display junk at the bottom of the screen, some work for a while then crash and some crash straight away

Then I am glad that I collect american games and use an american system. Will probably newer collect any PAL stuff for 7800

OldAtarian: Yes a hybrid chip would have been great for the sounds :)