IGNORED

"Flimbo" anyone...

Irgendwer

Well, I prefer this one more:

Horizontal and vertical parallax at the same time.

Yes, very cool. Hope the author will complete this one.

One thing I noticed though... the buildings should be much wider. The guy runs for quite some way before having to jump in the original.

Cool. As my parallax attemps used flimbo artwork too... I am interested in if you copied The Front Layer over The Background? I found that very time consuming...

The C64 one (at least Hawkeye did, pretty sure Flimbo is the same) just uses 4 charsets with the background parts pre-shifted (which is why there isn't a lot of variety in the background) and switches between them every frame. That's also why all the foreground "holes" are square, no mixing the back layer with the foreground chars.

The other video with multiple levels and vertical movement, things get more complex.. ;)

Pete

I am using the 4 charsets for getting static background. But the Scroller is painted over the background each frame. and this is time consuming... that's why it has only 7 charlines instead of 8...

ok. I have not used unrolled code but Flimbo is nearly fullscreen...

hmm no, still confused lol You do know the c64 one just switches charset pointers? so no "painting" involved other than to move the actual chars? A8 should be able to do more than a full screen of that...

I am using the 4 charsets for getting static background. But the Scroller is painted over the background each frame. and this is time consuming... that's why it has only 7 charlines instead of 8...

ok. I have not used unrolled code but Flimbo is nearly fullscreen...

i'm guessing yours isn't double buffering the display RAM like C64 Flimbo's and the A8 code in the video presumably is?

Jason... Alexander told that his Flimbo works in 50 FPS...so no need for double buffering... ;)

Hmm, that seems a rather wasteful way of doing things. i could probably just about squeeze that out of a C64 single buffered without the colour shunts (chasing the raster, doing things a line or two at a time and having the maps uncompressed which i think Flimbo's does anyway) so the A8 should have around a third of it's CPU grind left give or take on the frames where refreshes take place. Double buffering would leave far more for the game that people presumably want to be running?

aehm... Pete... too much Beers? ;)

yeah... charset "rotating" makes the background "static"... ;) but the "foreground" needs to be moved by hand? ;)

So the a8 can't move max 1000 bytes (40x25) in a frame?

hehe... it seems not ME... ;)

Well, it's not Flimbo's but a Hawkeye routine with a static back layer would be...

ldx #$27
       ldy map_pos
loop    lda front_map,y
       bne *+$05
       lda back_map,x
       sta screen_ram,x
       dey
       dex
       bpl loop

... but i'm at work so haven't got the tools to test that loop for speed. =-)

Edited by TMR

the LMS would help of course in doing my fave in "Game boy"-like scrolling and building the map... (2 screens and you scroll over in a window while building the next screen collum only in the "back" and when window reaches edge simply wrap over) see No$GBA and have a look on the video-ram.

aehm... Pete... too much Beers? ;)

yeah... charset "rotating" makes the background "static"... ;) but the "foreground" needs to be moved by hand? ;)

So the a8 can't move max 1000 bytes (40x25) in a frame?

hehe... it seems not ME... ;)

Well, it's not Flimbo's but a Hawkeye routine with a static back layer would be...

ldx #$27
       ldy map_pos
loop    lda front_map,y
       bne *+$05
       lda back_map,x
       sta screen_ram,x
       dey
       dex
       bpl loop

... but i'm at work so haven't got the tools to test that loop for speed. =-)

that is really rocket science... ;) Thalamus rules... ;)

the LMS would help of course in doing my fave in "Game boy"-like scrolling and building the map... (2 screens and you scroll over in a window while building the next screen collum only in the "back" and when window reaches edge simply wrap over) see No$GBA and have a look on the video-ram.

i wouldn't have thought that would really make things easier in this particular situation because the background layer moves independently so it's less time consuming to just brute force shift both than have to scout through the existing display, remove all the background layer characters and then draw in a replacement?

i wouldn't have thought that would really make things easier in this particular situation because the background layer moves independently so it's less time consuming to just brute force shift both than have to scout through the existing display, remove all the background layer characters and then draw in a replacement?

not sure what is more time consuming... well the LMS approach would not help... as painting is needed anyway...