IGNORED

Just picked up Pac Man Collection...

tkarner

I stopped by at the Digital Press store this weekend. I had some store credit burning a hole in my pocket when their homebrew display caught my eye. At first I was reluctant to get the Pac Man Collection since I already have some version of Pac Man for every single platform in the house. But I got it anyway and I'm glad I did. This version probably has the best look and feel of any version on a classic platform. The 8-bit version was ok for its time. The NES version looked good but it just doesn't feel right. But this version hits all the marks. And all the extra features... The random mazes in Plus mode will keep me occupied for a while.

It's a fine work. Talented programmer, by this and 7800 Space Invaders, which I just recently picked up.

The only thing I think could use some improvement is the dot eating sound. But I guess that's notoriously hard to "get right." At least it's not as bad as some of the 2600 attempts - I'm thinking of Pac-Man Arcade, which is probably the best version of that game for that system, based on Ms Pac, but the dot eating sound is borderline obnoxious and grating unless you keep the volume down. IMO.

It's a fine work. Talented programmer, by this and 7800 Space Invaders, which I just recently picked up.

The only thing I think could use some improvement is the dot eating sound. But I guess that's notoriously hard to "get right." At least it's not as bad as some of the 2600 attempts - I'm thinking of Pac-Man Arcade, which is probably the best version of that game for that system, based on Ms Pac, but the dot eating sound is borderline obnoxious and grating unless you keep the volume down. IMO.

I also highly recommend the Super Pac-Man cartridge.

Got it on the 5200, but I'm just not a big Super Pac fan.

Got it on the 5200, but I'm just not a big Super Pac fan.

It is so fun! Though I don't really get why there is a speed button. He should just speed up when you get the super pellet.

I always amaze my friends when I play it because I consistently score in the 120K range... but anyone that plays it regularly can score in that range. The trick is that if you get a Super Power pellet you can stay "super" by gobbling up the regular power pellets... If you do it in the right order you can clear the board as Super Pac.

Thanks for the nice compliments, guys. :) Hopefully Super Circus AtariAge won't disappoint. ;)

Have played Circus, but wouldn't say I was ever a big fan of it. But given the quality of your past work, I'll have to look at it. :)

Remember, I have I think three cartridges of the 7800 PacMan games that were made before you put the Collection together. I think I have regular PacMan, Ultra and Plus. (not home at the moment, or I'd confirm) Don't usually use them since all that is covered in the Collection cart, but they're notable for the little differences and changes.

How does 7800 Super Pac Man (and Jr Pac Man for that matter) compare to the 8-bit versions? I already have the Super and Junior Pac Man 8-bit prototype repro cartridges and they're great arcade conversions. Jr Pac Man is missing the intermissions but I'm guessing the 8-bit versions have better sound.

How does 7800 Super Pac Man (and Jr Pac Man for that matter) compare to the 8-bit versions? I already have the Super and Junior Pac Man 8-bit prototype repro cartridges and they're great arcade conversions. Jr Pac Man is missing the intermissions but I'm guessing the 8-bit versions have better sound.

I have no way to compare since I've never played the 8-bit versions but I can say these are as close to the Arcade as you're gonna get on the 7800 (maybe minus the sound). They both have the expected intermission sequences and the emulation of the arcade AI of the ghosts is spot on. The speed of Super-Pac is as you would expect it to be--this arcade-port matching the actual Arcade game -very- closely. (I know because I have both the arcade and the 7800 cart.) Jr. Pac-Man is simply the best port I've ever seen on any system of that game. The only thing that might improve these is a future POKEY sound adaptation (like the recent one done for the Pac-Man Collection.)

You can't go wrong with either of those carts and you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Madaracs

I found a couple of videos on youtube showing Super Pac Man on the 7800:

and the 5200/8-bit:

As I suspected, the visuals are better on the 7800 but the sound is better on the 8-bit. Still, I think I'll put the 7800 homebrews of both Super Pac Man and Jr. Pac Man on my shopping list even though I already have the 8-bit versions.

I just got the PAL version of this cart and I must say I was blown away. The ghost patterns are different but the games are very playable and do the 7800 justice. The booklet and the cart itself look very professional. It's a high quality production. Very well done and a must for any 7800 owner in my opinion.

I picked up the box itself with manual from Shawn Sr. Months ago......paid a nice deal for it, but didnt have the game......just recently picked up the cart from another member and boy am I happy I did. if you dont have this title. Hit the Atariage store up and get one! Great job on a classic for sure!