IGNORED

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf rarity, value?

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I have often heard that Tank Command is the hardest regular release to find for the system however I have seen many more Tank's than Mean 18. Does anyone think Mean 18 is the rarest game for the sytem? Or, if not, which games are higher on your list? One last question, what's a NTSC cart only in nice shape usually go for? Thanks for any thoughts.

Mean 18 might me rare in NTSC but isn't that rare in Pal.

Exactly! While a PAL version is about an R2 or an R3 NIB, a loose NTSC is an R8.

As for the price tag of Mean 18 versus Tank Command the later has always gone for

a higher dollar amount even though it's not a rare as the former.

Yes, NTSC Mean 18 is more rare than Tank Command.

Really? Then why do I always see Tank Command for over $100 and I recently got both Mean 18 AND Alien Brigade for $35 for the pair?

Because rarity does not always exactly correlate directly with monetary value. Mean 18 NTSC is the rarest game. No doubt. However it is easier and much cheaper to get a CIB Mean 18 than it is to get a CIB Tank Command.

I find it funny that the games that are the rarest/worth the most money to collectors often tend to be the worst/least fun games to play as well.

Why anyone would pay big money for that shit awful version of Rampage for the 7800, rare or not, makes no sense to me.

Edited by Underball

I find it funny that the games that are the rarest/worth the most money to collectors often tend to be the worst/least fun games to play as well.

Why anyone would pay big money for that shit awful version of Rampage for the 7800, rare or not, makes no sense to me.

The only people that would pay big money for a game like that are collectors. It is hard to get, so it is worth a little bit of money. It is a simple concept. Why would someone pay all that money for a 1933 Gold Double Eagle coin when you can't even use it in a Coke machine? Why would someone pay big money for a Benjamin Franklin Z-Grill stamp when you can't even send a letter with it? Why would someone pay a lot of money for an autographed Babe Ruth baseball when you can't take batting practice with it? Why would someone pay a bunch for a Model T when it can't go over 45 MPH? Why would someone pay a ton for a Civil War cannon when you can't legally fire it? You know exactly why.

The only people that would pay big money for a game like that are collectors. It is hard to get, so it is worth a little bit of money. It is a simple concept. Why would someone pay all that money for a 1933 Gold Double Eagle coin when you can't even use it in a Coke machine? Why would someone pay big money for a Benjamin Franklin Z-Grill stamp when you can't even send a letter with it? Why would someone pay a lot of money for an autographed Babe Ruth baseball when you can't take batting practice with it? Why would someone pay a bunch for a Model T when it can't go over 45 MPH? Why would someone pay a ton for a Civil War cannon when you can't legally fire it? You know exactly why.

Yeah, because some people have issues with OCD, LOL. None of those things interest me in any way, so your example doesn't apply. I understand what you're saying, but I think it really only applies to a very small percentage of people. Yet this tiny minority's obsession with completing collections of things, and "mint perfect status" and such really throws the actual use value of things others might enjoy if they were reasonably priced way out of whack.

Yeah, because some people have issues with OCD, LOL. None of those things interest me in any way, so your example doesn't apply. I understand what you're saying, but I think it really only applies to a very small percentage of people. Yet this tiny minority's obsession with completing collections of things, and "mint perfect status" and such really throws the actual use value of things others might enjoy if they were reasonably priced way out of whack.

I don't collect any of the things in my examples either. As a collector I understand where they are coming from though.

I guess I'm just a gamer, not a collector. I get that some people have attached some kind of intrinsic nostalgic value to these item, but I just refuse to pay more the an item's original retail value. And I think to a certain extent it can alienate non collectors a bit when certain products get so highly overvalued by a small subset of the market.

Oh well. It is what it is. My real point was that often collector value has little to do with how great a game is.

I'm very excited as a collector and gamer to be only a couple of games away from a complete 7800 set. I believe I am four away now, I need:

Both Tomcat's (2600 error and the 7800 cart)

Baseball (the one with black letters instead of white)

Tank Command (don't know when I'll have the cash for this one)

I don't mind the 7800 version of Rampage. It is lacking compaired to other home console ports though. If it had an ending like it's

supposed to I think it would be much better as the lack of an ending is what really bugs me about the 7800 version the most.