IGNORED

File size in TIDir99

jchase1970

When using TID99, what is the real file size?

For example, my Bouncing Babies program shows a size of 49.

I can assume it's not 49 bytes since I know how big the object file is and I can use my powers of deduction to tell it's not 49 kilobyte since I only have 32kb of space.

I see that a 360kb disk has 1440 sectors, so size is the number of sectors of disk spaced used? If so the closest it gets to actual space used is then sector size which I guess is 360kb/1440sectors or .25kb which is 256bytes. If so a program size of 49 would mean a size just under 256*49 or 12544 bytes.

Ok, I guessed as much as I can, so I'll wait to hear from the experts on here. :)

John

Well, it does not seem like any experts are lurking any more, so I'll throw in my thoughts...

In the Disk Memory System (PHP1240) manual, on page 19 it shows the results of a BASIC program (on page 18) used to catalog a disk. The text indicates that all the sizes are in sectors. Also, on page 23/24 of that same manual, it talks about a catalog listing from the Disk Manager cartridge, and again the text reads:

"The FILENAME is the name of the file, and SIZE is the number of sectors used for the file."

I'm not sure how TIDir indicates the size, but I would assume it is in sectors...

Matthew

I believe that's correct, Matthew. I came to that conclusion a while back. Here's a little test--- check the size of a program listing in your environment-- CALL SIZE, then check it in DM2 and TI99Dir. If TI99Dir and DM2 give you the same result, test it by dividing... Should give you a good answer.

When using TID99, what is the real file size?

For example, my Bouncing Babies program shows a size of 49.

I can assume it's not 49 bytes since I know how big the object file is and I can use my powers of deduction to tell it's not 49 kilobyte since I only have 32kb of space.

I see that a 360kb disk has 1440 sectors, so size is the number of sectors of disk spaced used? If so the closest it gets to actual space used is then sector size which I guess is 360kb/1440sectors or .25kb which is 256bytes. If so a program size of 49 would mean a size just under 256*49 or 12544 bytes.

Ok, I guessed as much as I can, so I'll wait to hear from the experts on here. :)

John

It's measured in sectors, each of which is 256 bytes. There is a one sector header for each file on the disk, so your program consumes 48 sectors. Divide by 4 and you get the size in kilobytes, 12k.

Adamantyr