IGNORED

NES Advantage internals

per

I just dissasembeled a NES Advantage I had laying around, in order to make schematics of the internal PCBs. So, in addition to almost breaking one of the variable resistors, I discovered a piece of unusual text printed on the PCB (on the same mask as the metal traces).

The text read "SUNSHINE" (this was in addition to the usual "REV-H" and "8320000019"). I have not been able to find any pictures of this when searching on the internet, although I find a lot of pictures of the PCB witout the text (one of them had the same PCB number and revision too). Later I figured that the joystick PCB likewise had the word "JAKING" on it, in addition to "8410000068".

Does anybody have any idea what those words may be there for?

I just dissasembeled a NES Advantage I had laying around, in order to make schematics of the internal PCBs. So, in addition to almost breaking one of the variable resistors, I discovered a piece of unusual text printed on the PCB (on the same mask as the metal traces).

The text read "SUNSHINE" (this was in addition to the usual "REV-H" and "8320000019"). I have not been able to find any pictures of this when searching on the internet, although I find a lot of pictures of the PCB witout the text (one of them had the same PCB number and revision too). Later I figured that the joystick PCB likewise had the word "JAKING" on it, in addition to "8410000068".

To be honest, it's probably who made that particular board. I'll have to take mine apart to see what is inside of it, but I'll bet that's what it is. A lot of first party stuff though, useually has "nintendo" somewhere inside of it....(or am I mistaken that the Advantage is first party, maybe it's just "liscensed" or whatever you call it)

To be honest, it's probably who made that particular board. I'll have to take mine apart to see what is inside of it, but I'll bet that's what it is. A lot of first party stuff though, useually has "nintendo" somewhere inside of it....(or am I mistaken that the Advantage is first party, maybe it's just "liscensed" or whatever you call it)

It looks geniue, as it is made of the same kind of plastic as the NES, supported by a heavy mettal plate with a serial number clearly present, board layout/number matching some of the pictures I found, etc... It can just be an early release. It does differ in the one hing that it doesn't have the loose plastic-support for the screws holding the PCB in it's place.

If I remember right, the NES Advantage (and NES Max, conversely) were originally controllers made by another company first over in Japan. Advantage was a joystick by Asciiware (much like the later Super Advantage, but has the Asciiware logo), and the MAX was the BPS Max. So yeah, they both are third-party controllers but were re-labeled under Nintendo to be a first-party accessory.