IGNORED

Atari 600xl monitor mod by jeff popp

Syfo-Dyas

Would this work for me?

It's the cheapest I can find:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2706493734431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270649373443&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

If you're just building a s-video mod, may be cheaper to get one from KJMan (if still available).

This is the one I got from him and fitted into the RF box in a 600XL; I re-used the RCA jack for composite video out.

I've considered this for my other 600Xl (assuming I can get it repaired). If this mod does not pan out though, I may be considering it for this 600xl well. :)

You'll have to ask if he still has any as I ordered these like an year ago. I am not into soldering but this one had about 6 wires to solder.

No, that device is not useful. Don't waste your money.

You need a 20mhz or better scope to do anything with an 8-bit. Try to get an old Tektronix or HP scope, if you can. They usually hold up pretty well.

I'll give you a 50mhz Tektronix scope if you come pick it up...

Bob

Would this work for me?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2706493734431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270649373443&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

if it wasnt for the 2000+ mile drive to california, i would take you up on that offer :')

and that, a-hem scope i would agree, wouldnt be good for much beyond being a digital storage volt meter...

sloopy.

Would this work for me?

If you're just building a s-video mod, may be cheaper to get one from KJMan (if still available).

This is the one I got from him and fitted into the RF box in a 600XL; I re-used the RCA jack for composite video out.

I've considered this for my other 600Xl (assuming I can get it repaired). If this mod does not pan out though, I may be considering it for this 600xl well. :)

I think those mods were (are?) sold through Video61

http://members.tcq.net/video61/main.html

They have Tektronix 475s on e-bay for $200. Not too bad - good scopes!

Bob

No, that device is not useful. Don't waste your money.

You need a 20mhz or better scope to do anything with an 8-bit. Try to get an old Tektronix or HP scope, if you can. They usually hold up pretty well.

I'll give you a 50mhz Tektronix scope if you come pick it up...

Bob

Would this work for me?

Well Bob, I just so happen to be on vacation. What state do you live in and thank you for the offer, these things are not cheap!

• 3 months later...

I can't believe that there is still interest in this after 25 years. Thanks for the ego boost, folks!

I've been buying the Kit that Best Electronics sells for about four years now, it comes with your instructions and all the parts (I don't do a lot of electronics work, so I don't usually have everything on hand)...

I've done this upgrade in six 600xl's now and I think it's a great little upgrade.

Come back and show us what you can do NOW ;-)

I've been buying the Kit that Best Electronics sells for about four years now, it comes with your instructions and all the parts (I don't do a lot of electronics work, so I don't usually have everything on hand)...

I was about to buy one kit myself... then the 600XL i got from Ebay Germany came in and looked on his back...

TA-DAAAA... video out is already there...

I did some research and it seems like ALL PAL 600XLs are already equipped from factory of a monitor port (just like the 800XL).

That is good news! :D

I was about to buy one kit myself... then the 600XL i got from Ebay Germany came in and looked on his back...

TA-DAAAA... video out is already there...

I did some research and it seems like ALL PAL 600XLs are already equipped from factory of a monitor port (just like the 800XL).

That is good news! icon_mrgreen.gif

This is correct, only the NTSC 600XL's are missing the monitor port

:P

I had a peek on your site and gallery.. impressive!!

I see you were in the UK in your earlier life... I was a frequent there (my dad is from Edgware).

I remember I attended the PC Show in OLYMPIA, London when the Atari ST was introduced in the UK and i met Jack Tramiel in person there...

Were you there too??

BTW.. love your Atari cave and items... congrats!!

icon_razz.gif

I had a peek on your site and gallery.. impressive!!

I see you were in the UK in your earlier life... I was a frequent there (my dad is from Edgware).

I remember I attended the PC Show in OLYMPIA, London when the Atari ST was introduced in the UK and i met Jack Tramiel in person there...

Were you there too??

BTW.. love your Atari cave and items... congrats!!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes I was born and raised in the UK, I lived there until I was 21 and moved to the united states in 1997. I brought about a tenth of my what is now in my collection with me (Hence the PAL xl's)... Between 1997 and 2005 I didn't really do anything Atari related, in 2005 I signed up here and started building what you see on my website...

I did attend several of the Atari Shows, but never got to meet any of the Tramiels, but I did get to chat to Bob Gleadow the head of Atari UK a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, it was Brad Koda at Best Electronics who prompted me to investigate this mod. I was repairing circuit boards for him way back when, and he noticed the spaces for the parts on the boards. He asked me to see if I could try adding the parts, test it, and then do a write-up of instructions.

I have long since stopped working with these, but in the end I had the following upgrades to my credit:

400 48K memory

400 On-board Basic

400 Monitor circuit

800 Space bar broken connector fix

600XL/800XL/65XE Two-key reset

600XL Monitor circuit

600XL 64K memory

600XL 320K Ram Disk

I also performed tons of repairs and the mods designed by others when I had my Atari repair business. I was even

doing repairs for two local stores.

My favorite upgrade was the 520ST 1M memory.

I also wrote an Astronomy/Farmer's Almanac program called "Moontracker"

Edited by Jeff Popp

I would be very interested in your documentation on these if you still have it, I have 5 x Atari 400 and would love to make them more useful.

400 48K memory

400 On-board Basic

400 Monitor circuit

And I'm glad to hear that you developed the Monitor Mod for Brad, now I don't feel so bad for buying the kits from him and not giving credit where credit is due LOL...

In all honesty, it was Brad Koda at Best Electronics who prompted me to investigate this mod. I was repairing circuit boards for him way back when, and he noticed the spaces for the parts on the boards. He asked me to see if I could try adding the parts, test it, and then do a write-up of instructions.

I have long since stopped working with these, but in the end I had the following upgrades to my credit:

400 48K memory

400 On-board Basic

400 Monitor circuit

800 Space bar broken connector fix

600XL/800XL/65XE Two-key reset

600XL Monitor circuit

600XL 64K memory

600XL 320K Ram Disk

I also performed tons of repairs and the mods designed by others when I had my Atari repair business. I was even

doing repairs for two local stores.

My favorite upgrade was the 520ST 1M memory.

I also wrote an Astronomy/Farmer's Almanac program called "Moontracker"

It would be great to see these mods being used again. Any information you feel like sharing would be most appreciated.

• 6 years later...

Add a jumper wire and 75 ohm resistor between the emitter of Q6 (see fiture 2) and pin #1 of the 5 pin din connector.

Chroma mod

Add a jumper wire and 200 ohm resistor between the emitter of Q9 (see figure 2) and pin #5 of the 5 pin connector.

http://www.frys.com/product/998646?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://frys.com/product/997716?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Will these work for just above?

Thanks

Syfo-Dyas was killed by the Pyke Syndicate under orders from Count Dooku.

He won't be responding..

Unless you can somehow summon his Force-Ghost.

Unfortunately, I don't believe he was learned enough in the ways of the force to maintain his conciousness after death.. Very few Jedi from his time were..

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

L12 Ferrite Coil (No Marking)

I'm digging up an old thread here because I have a couple of 600XLs that I want to repair and mod to work with my XRGB Mini. I can't find any info about acquiring the right part for L12. I looked at the 600XL FSM, and it just says "ferrite bead"...

So would this be suitable: https://www.jameco.com/z/BL01RN1A1D2B-Murata-Ferrite-Beads-Axial-7A_1844580.html

I'm digging up an old thread here because I have a couple of 600XLs that I want to repair and mod to work with my XRGB Mini. I can't find any info about acquiring the right part for L12. I looked at the 600XL FSM, and it just says "ferrite bead"...

So would this be suitable: https://www.jameco.com/z/BL01RN1A1D2B-Murata-Ferrite-Beads-Axial-7A_1844580.html

IMHO, you would be better off adding an UAV instead of rebuilding the missing circuit:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-400-800-xl-xe

I have one in an 600XL and the output is fantastic.

IMHO, you would be better off adding an UAV instead of rebuilding the missing circuit:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-400-800-xl-xe

I have one in an 600XL and the output is fantastic.

As someone who has used both I would agree that the although the Popp mod is great the UAV is going to give you a lot more bang for your buck.

As someone who has used both I would agree that the although the Popp mod is great the UAV is going to give you a lot more bang for your buck.

Well, it looks like it'll cost me about $5 worth of parts to do two Popp mods or $50-60 for two UAVs. Since neither of these machines is likely to end up as my daily driver, the Popp mod seems like the way to go.