IGNORED

5200 Green Screen of Death

OldAtarian

I bought a lot of 5200's for parts and among them were two 5200's sold as non working, one of which I managed to get working after several tries but unfortunately that one didn't make the trip without some damage to the plastics. The other one powers up, but only to a green screen. Nothing plays on it. Has anyone seen this before? They are both two port models if it makes a difference. I'll probably just put the motherboard of the working one into the case of the non working one if repairs are more than just something simple.

(Believe it or not, I think the other one wasn't working because it had the wrong power supply with it. Someone was trying to use a power supply from an A8 or some other piece of Atari equipment instead of the one that says for the 5200 only. The power outlet was also a bit corroded so I think after inserting the power plug a few times it scraped enough of the gunk off to make contact again.)

I bought a lot of 5200's for parts and among them were two 5200's sold as non working, one of which I managed to get working after several tries but unfortunately that one didn't make the trip without some damage to the plastics. The other one powers up, but only to a green screen. Nothing plays on it. Has anyone seen this before? They are both two port models if it makes a difference. I'll probably just put the motherboard of the working one into the case of the non working one if repairs are more than just something simple.

(Believe it or not, I think the other one wasn't working because it had the wrong power supply with it. Someone was trying to use a power supply from an A8 or some other piece of Atari equipment instead of the one that says for the 5200 only. The power outlet was also a bit corroded so I think after inserting the power plug a few times it scraped enough of the gunk off to make contact again.)

I had one do the exact same thing a while back and it had 2 bad RAM chips. Luckily they were in sockets and replacement was simple from a donor 5200. Don't know if that's the problem with yours though but it wouldn't hurt to try if both 5200's RAM's are socketed.

My experience is the same. Bad RAM chip. Screen was green. Moving the chips around changed the failure mode. I pulled RAM from a parts machine, hoping it wasn't bad. Swapped the presumed good chip in for old chips until the problem went away.

Then I found out that one of the analog switch chips was also bad so I still couldn't use it until I repaired that. But, I digress.

My experience is the same. Bad RAM chip. Screen was green. Moving the chips around changed the failure mode. I pulled RAM from a parts machine, hoping it wasn't bad. Swapped the presumed good chip in for old chips until the problem went away.

Then I found out that one of the analog switch chips was also bad so I still couldn't use it until I repaired that. But, I digress.

It seems that the 16K*1 RAM chips from Atari 400 don't work with the Atari 5200 as I fried some while trying. So the Atari 5200 16K*1 RAM chips may have a different spec.

• 4 weeks later...