IGNORED

The nibbler

jamesk

post-18310-128905440538_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to mention this great tool for those who don't have one. A nibbler costs around $10. It will cut a tiny rectangle in many materials. You can cut circuit boards, copper board (and you get little pads for Manhattan circuits), PC cases, plastic and even notches in floppy disks. As an example, instead of pulling out my Dremel, I used my nibbler to cut out a SD card slot in a Sega Genesis cart for my Everdrive. It came out clean with a bit of sanding.

I get a lot of use out of my nibbler, whenever I need to cut just about any kind of polygonal hole in a thin enough material. I've cut square and rectangular holes in plastics, sheet brass, cast aluminum (six-switch VCS mobo RF shielding), and thin mild steel. Although it can handle thicknesses up to about 1/8 inch in softer materials, the harder the material is the less thickness it will tolerate. I haven't tried it on stainless steel yet, but it would have to be pretty thin to avoid breaking or jamming the tool (or just plain being too strong to cut with hand power).

post-18310-128905440538_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to mention this great tool for those who don't have one. A nibbler costs around $10. It will cut a tiny rectangle in many materials. You can cut circuit boards, copper board (and you get little pads for Manhattan circuits), PC cases, plastic and even notches in floppy disks. As an example, instead of pulling out my Dremel, I used my nibbler to cut out a SD card slot in a Sega Genesis cart for my Everdrive. It came out clean with a bit of sanding.

Can you post a picture of ED cut? Anything that makes cutting everdrives easier is something I need. Cutting 40 EverDrives with a Dremel is not a fun time.

Can you post a picture of ED cut? Anything that makes cutting everdrives easier is something I need. Cutting 40 EverDrives with a Dremel is not a fun time.

Sure but, this ain't a great job. I did it quick and I can hear my woodshop teacher yelling at me in a Irish accent "What the hell is wrong with you? Are you f*ing stupid?". I'm terrible at these things and I think I could give it a cleaner cut. One big difference from the Dremel is no nasty toxic melting plastic fumes. The plastic does cut without much effort with the nibbler.

post-18310-128944859272_thumb.jpg

My dad has one of those that I have used since the 70s. Where can you find them now? I should look at harbor freight maybe.