IGNORED

What's preventing the Atari from having it's own chameleon

Syfo-Dyas

As to a stripped down linux in ROM that's actually a very good idea and with a little work you could probably fit the Atari800 emulator in with it. The enduser would not have to see Linux at all, add some Atari joystick interfaces etc and it would make a pretty decent system.

Unfortunately, Altirra has rapidly become the gold standard of A8 emulation. And that is unabashedly DirectX all the way. Unless the Atari800 or Atari++ wow us with something, the best A8 emulator currently doesn't run easily in Linux.

But DirectX doesn't provide the emulation, and Altirra is GPL. The engine could be dropped into a new program or a wrapper could be created to keep code changes to a minimum. An Altirra BIOS is a pretty cool idea IMHO. What's the cheapest all-in-one mobo out there?

Edited by Bryan

Unfortunately, Altirra has rapidly become the gold standard of A8 emulation. And that is unabashedly DirectX all the way. Unless the Atari800 or Atari++ wow us with something, the best A8 emulator currently doesn't run easily in Linux.

What features in particular are missing from Atari800?, I've been playing with Altirra in Windows 7 and I don't feel like im particularly missing out using Atari800 in Ubuntu. Atari800 is GPL as well so if a particular feature is wanted that could be in theory ported from Altirra.

What's the cheapest all-in-one mobo out there?

No the cheapest, but maybe the coolest (and IMHO best fitting):

http://beagleboard.org/

Thanks to the serial port, you could even support old SIO devices with little additional effort...

That would actually be a very good choice. The only thing missing is simple IO for joystick ports, but the I2C port would make adding IO chips very easy.

With projects underway to map the 6502 and now Antic and other chips, it will soon be possible to build emulators that work based on actual netlists from the chips.

http://beagleboard.org/

Thanks to the serial port, you could even support old SIO devices with little additional effort...

Sorry, this won't work. Unfortunately, like most other embedded boards, it only has RxD and TxD connected, but none of the control lines (RTS, CTS, DCD, ...). For SIO you need at least one output contol line to drive the /COMMAND line on the SIO bus.

so long,

Hias

Sorry, this won't work. Unfortunately, like most other embedded boards, it only has RxD and TxD connected, but none of the control lines (RTS, CTS, DCD, ...). For SIO you need at least one output contol line to drive the /COMMAND line on the SIO bus.

You are right - I missed that point. So you have to connect an (working ;-) ) USB -> serial interface.

The only thing missing is simple IO for joystick ports, but the I2C port would make adding IO chips very easy.

USB-Sticks? You already have problems now to get the classic Sub-D-9-sticks...

BTW: There are some cool vids in you-tube about the board.

I'm just thinking that if I mounted one in a case, I'd want some DB9's. A small PCB with the connectors and an I2C IO chip would be the simplest solution. It could also provide the missing COMMAND bit.

Edited by Bryan